Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of these from Amazon:

If you go to Amazon, just enter "Fashio Mens Motorcycle Jeans" in the Amazon search bar. It will take you to a number of different style jeans from this company. The cost? An absolutely astronomical, whopping $59.

It depends on your size apparently as some are less while others are more.

So, what do these cheap as all hell riding jeans offer? Well, aside from the "skinny jeans" style versus the baggy look you find with virtually all other riders jeans, these offer pretty much the same thing.

There is a kevlar lining at the seat and knees. Kevlar stitching. Pockets for armor at the knees and hips. Armor is included in the price. The fabric is stretchy yet sturdy. The armor is sorta chintzy, but hey, what do you expect for $59?

The knee pockets are external, which I really like. They are also not radically shaped so you could conceivably insert the knee armor of your choice. To a point any way.

The hip armor....not a fan. Too small for my fat behind. The pockets are internal and tiny. I don't know of any armor beyond the chintzy "stock" stuff that would fit in there.

So what are they like. Well....they're sorta warm to be honest. My Alpinestar mesh pants are cooler wearing. Standing around they aren't the most comfortable for me. The knee armor digs into my shins when standing. Did I mention they're a bit warm?

I imagine they'd be perfect on cool-ish days. My ride in to work in the morning was around 56-58 degrees. They were plenty comfortable then. My ride home was more like mid 90s. They felt pretty warm.

On the bike, I can't find a flaw in them. They're really comfortable. The knee armor is almost invisible then. There is a larger "comfort zone" with the knowledge that they're kevlar should you come off the bike.

I like that they have integral armor. I don't have to worry about strapping on my Icon Field Armor whenever I want to wear jeans. That removes a step when I'm getting ready for work.

I like that they're fairly fashionable too, and not stupid baggy. Slightly baggy is okay, but too much doesn't keep the armor where it needs to be.

I'm kind of a fat ass so the stretchy denim and kevlar is good for my comfort.

Keep in mind, I'm riding a full on sport bike. The riding position is more, errr, dedicated than on other bikes and these feel perfectly comfortable to me. In other words, I recommend them for someone looking for jeans who doesn't want to spend ridiculous money on a pair.

These things are comfortable, functional and style-ish. You could do much worse for your $59. My only real complaint? Again, I'm a fat ass and my waist snaps keep popping when I move certain ways. I've figured out a fix though, so problem solved.....sean

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
I heard... person of individual larger size and skinny jeans.
Never a good combo.

One should move out of an erea where skinny jeans are okay, because they’re never okay. EVER. Never ever San Fran fashion trends ever Seattle trends ever.

One should as well move away from salt and sugar. Refer to no Starbucks because it tastes like burnt ass.
That doesn’t mean bicycle an extra 10 miles p/day either.

Where was I? Pants. Yeah, I wore pants, the one I don’t buy off websites.
Haha

Just picking, Sean, good review. I’m not buying in fear of skinny jeans.
O_E_M

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also never buy online unless I’m 100% sure they’ll fit. I bought a new pair of Kevlar jeans last year and went to our local motorcycle clothing store and tried five pairs on regardless of price. I came out with a pair of Route One jeans (I’d never heard of them either,) they were about £100 fit perfectly, they stretch a bit, and look like regular jeans off the bike. I’ve tried cheap jeans from bike shows but I’ve always been disappointed with the fit.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I heard... person of individual larger size and skinny jeans.
Never a good combo.

One should move out of an erea where skinny jeans are okay, because they’re never okay. EVER. Never ever San Fran fashion trends ever Seattle trends ever.

One should as well move away from salt and sugar. Refer to no Starbucks because it tastes like burnt ass.
That doesn’t mean bicycle an extra 10 miles p/day either.

Where was I? Pants. Yeah, I wore pants, the one I don’t buy off websites.
Haha

Just picking, Sean, good review. I’m not buying in fear of skinny jeans.
O_E_M

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :grin2:

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :grin2:
I know, sounded funny and is because there’s a reason for it.
Give it a minute and it’ll sink in... like the original Sunshine Skyway.
:grin2:

O_E_M

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also never buy online unless I’m 100% sure they’ll fit.
I'm a fairly standard off the rack size when it comes to jeans. I can almost count on a pair that is 36W32L to fit me perfectly around 99% of the time.

This place had free returns too, so it isn't like it was a total gamble. It took just two days to get to my house after I ordered.

I posted them here because A) they're a good value for money, B) they're actually fairly well made, C) I have actual experience in wearing them on the bike so can give an honest opinion, and D) I've previously read on this forum of newer riders wishing that they could find quality, affordable riding pants. Well, these fit that bill. At $60 delivered, they're as cheap as any name brand fashionable jeans available....sean

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
I'm a fairly standard off the rack size when it comes to jeans. I can almost count on a pair that is 36W32L to fit me perfectly around 99% of the time.

This place had free returns too, so it isn't like it was a total gamble. It took just two days to get to my house after I ordered.

I posted them here because A) they're a good value for money, B) they're actually fairly well made, C) I have actual experience in wearing them on the bike so can give an honest opinion, and D) I've previously read on this forum of newer riders wishing that they could find quality, affordable riding pants. Well, these fit that bill. At $60 delivered, they're as cheap as any name brand fashionable jeans available....sean
You did a good job at reviewing and thank you.

I know I can buy 30w32l Wrangler loose fit capenter and they work.
Same thing but relaxed fit and it squashes things.
Buy a pair of Carharrt’s or Dickies in that size of any style period and get ready to whatch me be super squeezed because I need a 34w33l in either.

What’s funny, I’m an actual 31w33L measured proper... so good luck on finding that size. Haha

O_E_M

·
Registered
806 Posts
Allow me to add something to this thread, if I may be so bold! :grin2:

Over Christmas I decided to buy myself a present. Something I've always wanted to learn was to sew. Therefore, I researched and found a $60 sewing machine at WalMart. This thing is awesome! Has 20+ stitches, has the button sew-on attachment and can also do zippers.

Granted I have yet to sew anything major but so far I've made some pant leg holders (and they work awesome for the days of riding to work in my khaki's. I no longer have to worry about my pant legs coming up to my knees!

I also made a dog sweater but my chihuahua doesn't want anything to do with it. >:)

Anyway, there are a ton of things on YouTube that you can create with a sewing machine...and more specifically motorcycle-related. I saw one video where a younger kid makes motorcycle pants. It's cheap, you can use some old dungarees that already fit you and, basically, sew in some pockets to hold some armor (which you can get for $25 on Amazon.

Thought I'd add this to the mix. Plus, it's a hobby for other things, too! (Like during non-riding season for you northerners!)

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
I also made a dog sweater but my chihuahua doesn't want anything to do with it. >:)
What did you expect, being in central Florida. :surprise:

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought I’d undead this thread for a long term review of the original jeans that I started off this thread with.

After a little over 2 years. With these jeans, my initial review stands the test of time. All the niggles that I found are still the same save for one.

They’re still warm, specially on warm days. The hip armor is still chintzy. The waist snaps still pop when I move a certain way....only now there are more of those.

The only niggle that has seeming gone away is the knee armor pressing in my shins when off the bike. That’s vanished with break in time.

One other reason I thought I’d undead this thread is, the jeans are still for sale on Amazon for roughly the same price. I think shipping is no longer free though and is something like $6 or so.

That stated, I found another brand called Takuey selling similar products. Their Kevlar lined jeans are bit more but they sell non Kevlar lined jeans too.

As those are quite inexpensive, only slightly more than a pair of Levi’s I decided to try a pair.

I paid around $46 for these “jeans” in an olive green color. The knee armor is CE rated but the hip armor is honestly a joke.

It’s some sort of foam, about 1/8” thick and kidney shaped. At least there’s that.

Alpinestars and a few other brands also make kidney shaped hip armor in much more substantial dual density foam.

As such, I have a set from a pair of Fieldsheer leather pants that I can no longer wear. They were a bit larger than would fit in the internal armor pockets.

I used a set of paramedic scissors to cut them down so they’d fit the new “jeans”. You may be wondering at this point why I keep putting jeans in quotes.

The material these pants are made of is not denim. More like khaki. And when I use that description I mean like the material the old khaki uniforms our military wore up until the mid 1970s.

It’s a sturdy cotton fabric. Think like a heavier pair of chinos amd you’d be close. Maybe a thicker fabric than a pair of Dickies work pants but not thicker by much.

In other words, I think they’re probably fine for around town riding but if you came off at highway speed and slid on your behind......I’m thinking your gonna have a difficult time sitting down for a while.

Takuey Men Motorcycle Riding Pants Racing Jeans with 4 X Knee Hip Pads Army Green 2XL Amazon.com: Takuey Men Motorcycle Riding Pants Racing Jeans with 4 X Knee Hip Pads Army Green 2XL: Clothing

I have not ridden in them yet but my primary reason for buying them is to see if they’re any cooler than the Kevlar lined jeans.

As far as fit goes, I wear anything from a 34 to a 36 depending upon manufacturer. Normally I need a rather short inseam, no more than a 32.

For these I ordered a 36 and it is a comfortable fit. I can fit at least a finger in the waist band without squeezing it in.

The length which for a 36 was listed at something like 108 cm worked out to something like 38” in the conversion.

I was concerned that they’d be rather long but they’re actually more like a 32 and should fit just fine over my boots.

Weather is supposed to cool down a bit this week so I’ll be back with a ride report later on.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I rode to work today and wore the new riding pants. I may have to redress some of my initial impressions.

To start off with, they definitely are cooler to ride in. Meaning they flow more air than the Kevlar lined jeans do.

There are a couple features that I find useful, one being the rear belt loop is actually 3 belt loops in very close order. Another is the two thigh pockets.

I was not a fan at first, particularly due to the very shiny metal snaps on the outside of the pocket flaps. I could see those causing all manner of scratches to paint if one were to either push their bike or lean on it the wrong way.

They are extremely useful though, at least to me. For one thing, my cell phone fits in the pocket easily ( iPhone 5S) as does my wallet. That leaves my jacket pocket and the butt pockets free of anything cumbersome.

The length which I initially thought looked like a 32" inseam is actually more like a 34. My normal jeans reach my boots with a slight break in the front crease. There is not a real crease but after 20 plus years in the military that would be how I describe it.

The riding pants reach my boots and there is some amount of bunching up between the knee and bottom of the leg opening. Mainly from the bottom of the knee armor down. Enough that I can see there is no way they are a 32" inseam.

The size I ordered seems a tad big. I can normally wear a 36, though that size is a bit loose as these are. I figure a belt will be necessary. I do like the 3 belt loops at the back though as my Scorpion jacket has a snap loop to go through the rear belt loop....and with 3 of them it makes it feel a bit more secure.

The hip armor I made fits like a glove and feels much more substantial while wearing the pants. I still can't call them jeans as the material just doesn't feel like denim. Even my old BDUs felt more like denim than these pants.

I think my initial description of the fabric being slightly heavier than a pair of Dickies is probably spot on. By slightly, I mean just barely. Like the tiniest smidge heavier.

Off for a few days (took vacation for my birthday) so likely going to throw them in the wash along with my Scorpion jacket tomorrow. Riding in today was like riding in a snow storm with all the ash fall from the fires. (see the vid I linked to in the "craziness in a week" thread)

The visual from my helmet visor was that of riding in a snow storm. My Scorpion mesh jacket...all the mesh that is exposed to the air stream when on my bike is all plugged up with ash now. Pretty solidly too as I couldn't just smack it with a micro fiber cloth and knock the ash off.

So, into the wash it will go. I'm also interested to see what amount of shrinkage I get with the pants once they've been through a wash cycle. As they're not made with Kevlar thread, I just hope they don't fall apart in the wash. 😆

1 - 11 of 11 Posts