Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month and a half I have been ordering, returning, modifying, fabricating, sanding, primering, painting and admiring my project. Let me know what you guys/gals think!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My pics are too big to post on one post so I'll just post a couple replies w/ other pics.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uno mas

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last one!

R

·
0 Posts
What is the paint? It looks like it's rough, like BBQ paint? Or is it just the photo giving it that texture?

Do you have some other photo's of the guage pod?

Looks like a neat bike :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
nice bike. where did u get ur headlight? alsi tha guage pods r pimp. whenever i get a bike i wanna make it a streetfighter, but i didnt wanna lose my guages.

bike looks sick

·
Registered
270 Posts
The paint looks like an undercoating not a bad idea. I like it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The paint is bedliner that I sprayed over with a flaked clear coat, so it reflects like chameleon paint in the sun. As for the gauge pods: I found the speedo on JCWhitney.com for $39.99 and the tach I found on Ebay.com for about $60. I fabricated a piece of flat metal to go from the left side front fairing mount and bent it across to hold the gauges, blinker indicators and the hi/low beam light. The front fairing is from Flyncycle.com I think I paid like $80 for it or even less. I had to use conduit hanger brackets and some thick rubber pipe to clamp the fairing to the forks. I'd post more pics but I lost my SD card that had them on it. :-\

At any rate, it's not perfect, but it's mine!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice work. I'm working on a similar bike but 1st gen.
I have the same fairing and it's called Raptor for those who want to know.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jacques what did you end up doing w/ the gauges?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great looking street fighter. I am looking to do a similar job to mine when I get some $$$.
-Matt

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Good looking bike indeed.

Did you had to do many coats of bedliner ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only one coat, although I should have done two on the tank, but I dropped it and am going to have to do it over again this winter anyhow, so I'll just wait until then.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, tell me about it. Sometimes I wish I had a center stand! But it's a small price to pay for the Muzzy exhaust...

·
Registered
404 Posts
get rid of the grab rail and get a custom seat, u must be a handy dude...so u could do those mods
cheap and easy...great look. Since u lost the center stand grabrail is unnecessary.

looks truly unique, good job.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looking good.

hollywood said:
get rid of the grab rail and get a custom seat, u must be a handy dude...so u could do those mods
cheap and easy...great look. Since u lost the center stand grabrail is unnecessary.

looks truly unique, good job.
I agree with hollywood. One thing you could do to make it look more "street fighter"-ish is to modify a rear end from a monster or other street bike and lose the rear plastics. This would entail a bit more work and some welding, but would give your bike a little extra flare and eliminate coming across as being too cheap to replace your front fairing.

Either way, good luck on your bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That would be a good idea, but I just dropped $210 on an airtech rear fairing... Maybe if the unseen happens and I screw up the rear fairing, that might be a good way to go.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts