Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...because let me tell you, having to pull off into gravel on your way to work to put it back on is a PITA.

:eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Yep, I've had mine come off on the highway. It broke the day before, so I got a new one, installed it and went. About an hour after the install, it had vibrated off while on the highway, and started flying around, bouncing off the rim and forks. Scared the crap out of me when I heard that much noise come from the front end!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Royson said:
Yep, I've had mine come off on the highway. It broke the day before, so I got a new one, installed it and went. About an hour after the install, it had vibrated off while on the highway, and started flying around, bouncing off the rim and forks. Scared the crap out of me when I heard that much noise come from the front end!
Wow! Will be lock tighting that soon!!! ;D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mine came off shortly after I got the bike. On the previous EX500 site there were several posts about this issue which recommended blue loctite. I used it and have had no problems since. Seems to be a common Ninja 500 problem. ninjamon

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Since it'd be tough to safety wire that bugger, the Locktite seems to be the best solution.

I put 2 nylon ties, in an X pattern, around the cable and connecting to the fairing frame. The instrument box keeps it from being snug to the frame, maybe by 2 inches. This is located betwen the two screws that hold the bottom of the fairing on to the frame.

2 inches seemed too loose to hold it if the cable came unscrewed, so I look another nylon tie & looped it around the center of the X pattern 3 times & pulled it snug. The hope is that it'd keep the cable from whipping around as described previously. Especially since the stock black metal support (below) had broken off.

_________
(____ ____) (Best I could come up with fast.)
/ /

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Since it'd be tough to safety wire that bugger, the Locktite seems to be the best solution.

I put 2 nylon ties, in an X pattern, around the cable and connecting to the fairing frame. The instrument box keeps it from being snug to the frame, maybe by 2 inches. This is located betwen the two screws that hold the bottom of the fairing on to the frame.

2 inches seemed too loose to hold it if the cable came unscrewed, so I look another nylon tie & looped it around the center of the X pattern 3 times & pulled it snug. The hope is that it'd keep the cable from whipping around as described previously. Especially since the stock black metal support (below) had broken off.

_________
(____ ____) (Best I could come up with fast.)
/ /
just use loctite . only dont use the red unless you plan on using a blue wrench to remove it if it needs replacing .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine fell off again today. This evening I took the fairing off, threw on a little bit of LocTite Blue and hopefully it won't come off anymore.

Glad to see this isn't unusual. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just had my cable come off friday night, so I took the gauges out so I could get my hand in there easily. cleaned the connections, applied blue loctite (do not use red, you'll never get it off!) carefully, you don't want the blue goo to get down into the cable housing or it'll mess things up. reassemble and hopefully don't worry about it until you lube your cable at least once a year (you do lube your cables, right?).

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
What's the best lube for the speedo cable?

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can by general cable lube at most shops. Some people say WD40, I don't think that's the best idea, sprayable graphite or any form of lithium grease would be ok. I just use cable lube which can be picked up at any bike shop or on line.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
HooliganD said:
You can by general cable lube at most shops. Some people say WD40, I don't think that's the best idea, sprayable graphite or any form of lithium grease would be OK. I just use cable lube which can be picked up at any bike shop or on line.
I agree ! WD-40 becomes sticky after awhile .

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
on the off chance anyone still reads this thread:

is there a trick to getting the threads on the speedo cable to hook w/o taking off the front fairing or gauges?? I just spent 25 minutes with my hand contorted under the fairing, twisting (the right way, i swear) to no avail...

my only solace is that i was smart enough to not put the loctite on first. I figured i'll get it threaded, then loosen it a little and put loctite on the threads rather than the 'bolt' end...

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
redkow97 said:
is there a trick to getting the threads on the speedo cable to hook w/o taking off the front fairing or gauges?? I just spent 25 minutes with my hand contorted under the fairing, twisting (the right way, i swear) to no avail...
maybe find someone with hands the size of a four year old?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I spent a good deal of time doing the same thing but eventually i got it. Make sure the metal peace at the end of the cable is aligned right with the threads but you will never get it tight enough to secure it and dont think u will be able to get lock tight on there successfully. Just take the front plastics off and its really easy to get to. I took a pair of pliers to the nut and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Mine fell off the first day I rode mine, I think!
Besides locktite, I also used a zip tie to encourage its fidelity....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts