Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this bike (2004 model) has been sitting for about 10 years without the tank on it. It’s has gas in the tank not much though, how should I go about cleaning this tank so I can use it once I get the rest of the bike up to snough? Any potential issues I should look out for?
TIA!

·
Super Moderator
14,485 Posts
here in the US we have liquids such as Evaporust. There is a similar Rustoleum product , and many other brands and products (Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart) Some folks swear by vinegar.

Do your research, figure out the one best for your needs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a 600 KLR that was solid rust with rust powder everywhere inside.
I filled the tank pretty good with big enough bolt nuts that i could easly get back out and filled the tank half full of viniger and shook it like a baby rattle for enough time to knock off all the rust inside,pour it all out and let it dry real good.
Then i coated the inside with a sealent made just for coating gas tanks.
I forget the name but rember it was a blue liquid and had a very strong smell.All the motorcycle shops swore buy it.
Anyways whdn that stuff dried it was like thr whole inside of the tank was coated in a hard as rock glass.Never had any problems and never caught any trash in the fuel filter. If i had to seal a tank again,i would highly recommend this procedure.
I think the sealer came in a can just like paint and cost around 50 bucks.
Good Luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
19,152 Posts
The construction of the EX tanks forms a internal wedge line all around the bottom edge. this allow the water (if any ) to stay in that area and will rot right through the metal . if you tanks shows any bubbles or blisters in the paint . in the botton area it is rotted through.
SOm can be save by soldering check this area carefully.

FOG

·
Super Moderator
14,485 Posts
research POR-15 as a preventative measure. Their 3 step process cleans, preps and coats and does plug small leaks. Crap works.

here's an old thread https://www.ex-500.com/37-how-s-fyi/26058-por-15-tank-treatment.html

post #18 in that thread may interest you (though the pictures have long been deleted by admin)

So I did my Ducati and VFR in 2010 with POR.....no issues 10 years on. Needless to say I'm a believer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Por15 tank sealer works like a charm. I used some of “the works” toilet cleaner it contains HCL (20% hydrochloric acid) mix it with water 1:1 and let it sit for 18-24hrs. After you drain the acid, throw in some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) as an antacid to neutralize the reaction or you’ll make matters worse. Rinse with Soapy water, or use Por 15 metal prep, Followed by a heat gun or hair dryer to apply heat to reduce flash rust during the drying stage. After it’s bone dry apply Por 15 fuel tank sealer works great!

Caution: these chemicals will stain, burn, sting, and ruin just about anything if proper precautions are not taken care of (including your fuel tank paint and surroundings). Wear gloves, safety glasses, and clothes you don’t care about.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts