Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
What burbs? I am just south of Skokie. This is only my second season riding, and I only know one other rider, so if you want to ride, hit me up.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
ROCKKY58 said:
in4mation said:
Who did I see on Michigan Ave toady around noon on the red EX500 with the red gear?
WHAT AND MICHIGAN AVE. 60 70TH IM ON THE SOUTHSIDE ITS BORING RIDING TO MUCH TRAFFIC NO OPEN ROADS
I was downtown that day. Head downtown at night and hit the lowers. Just don't pull a Princess Diana.

I would image all riding in Chicago is boring.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My bike all ready to go, i just need to get my permit, then take an MSF course, then back to the dmv for the license. Any tips on the best MSF course? I've been looking into the course from ridechicago.com for $295, just need that permit first. I'm completely familiar with bikes and have been riding on/off since '93 and based on some practice tests i found online, looks like i shouldn't have an issue at all with the dmv part of things.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are still some state sponsored free courses if you can travel up to great lake naval base, but they are not available until August. http://www.niu.edu/mcycle/registration.shtml

If you don't want to wait that long (and I dont blame you) I highly recommend Ride Chicago, as that is where I took my class last summer. The instructors are great, their bikes are decent. I recommend you bring your own helmet though, as the ones they have are disgusting. After the class, they will offer onsite testing at their course for $40, and you can use their bikes. This is alot easier than convincing someone to go with you to the DMV and wait in line to take their test.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Alright cool. Wow, it sure would have been nice to have known about the free course before it filled up. Yeah i'm not looking to wait until August so i'll go with ride chicago. I'll be sure to bring my own helmet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I drive a lot for work and this past week I've seen a few ex500's. A blue one with busted rear signal lenses down in the south burbs on 139th, a black one up by Lake in the hills, and 2 red ones. ;D

M

·
0 Posts
in4mation said:
Then you should try driving anywhere on the loop during that magical time where traffic is just bad enough to cause death but not so bad to be gridlocked... You know, when everyone is going about 45 mph and swerving in and out of lanes to make it to exits.

Thats all manner of fun!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Masta Squidge said:
in4mation said:
Then you should try driving anywhere on the loop during that magical time where traffic is just bad enough to cause death but not so bad to be gridlocked... You know, when everyone is going about 45 mph and swerving in and out of lanes to make it to exits.

Thats all manner of fun!
I won't even go near the city or highways during that time of day on a bike. Sundays are much better and people seem to be moving slightly slower, still don't use signals and cut you off, but not as bad as the "red light racers" ;D

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
darkfmaster said:
Anyone from chicago still use this forum?
People on the local chicago forum are assholes...quite unhelpful at that. Expect to get made fun of for riding a ninja on that forum.

lifehousee said:
Bensenville
2006 Ex500
Just started riding 4-21-10
I'm also from Bville. Dont have my ninja any more however i did pull my ex apart so if you need help with carbs let me know i may be able to help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some people are a pain....Especially the guys on the litre bikes who want to pull away from you and do wheelies......I think they want to die....
What did you do with your Ninja and what are you riding now?
Don't need work with carbs yet but it is getting time for that valve clearance and carb cleaning.

Where do you ride from Bville?

triple88a said:
darkfmaster said:
Anyone from chicago still use this forum?
People on the local chicago forum are assholes...quite unhelpful at that. Expect to get made fun of for riding a ninja on that forum.

lifehousee said:
Bensenville
2006 Ex500
Just started riding 4-21-10
I'm also from Bville. Dont have my ninja any more however i did pull my ex apart so if you need help with carbs let me know i may be able to help.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
lifehousee said:
Some people are a pain....Especially the guys on the litre bikes who want to pull away from you and do wheelies......I think they want to die....
What did you do with your Ninja and what are you riding now?
Don't need work with carbs yet but it is getting time for that valve clearance and carb cleaning.

Where do you ride from Bville?
I dont ride at the moment. I sold my gas guzzler and the month after i sold my ninja. A bike is a lot of extra expense at the moment. 1k for insurance is nasty and probably one of the main reasons i sold my old one. Dont pay any attention to liter bikes. Those guys are "too cool."

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
1 speeding ticket for 1-14 over 4 years ago which is not on my record any more, no other tickets, no accidents...etc so no actually a great record.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Geez, how does going 14mph screw you that bad? I have no accidents or tickets and basic liability was only $134 a year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm right outside Chicago, still cook county and pay $256/year full coverage with 250/500 deductable on a 2009 ex500. No accidents or tickets in over 7 years, 29 y/o. Paid for insurance last year in october, suspended it (full coverage storage insurance) from dec to may and received a check back for the difference, $80. ;D

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
cashmoney said:
The agent from statefarm said i was paying so much because i was in the risk group...21 years old male riding a EX500 bike which is a common bike that gets crashed by newbies.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Still even at 21, 1k a year is HIGH. My little brother is 21 and has libility only and pays $100 year with progressive.

·
Registered
252 Posts
triple88a said:
cashmoney said:
The agent from statefarm said i was paying so much because i was in the risk group...21 years old male riding a EX500 bike which is a common bike that gets crashed by newbies.

Ahhhhhh Yes, that is your reason then. If your actually within the city limits, it'll be higher also. I've also got State Farm, multi car/home/etc discounts.

M

·
0 Posts
triple88a said:
cashmoney said:
Common bike that gets crashed by newbies... Thats rich. Around here I have never seen a newbie ass squid rider (the type to crash in the first two weeks) on anything less than a GSX-R 600.

Ah well... MSF course starts tomorrow morning and I turn 25 in a year and change.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Masta Squidge said:
Common bike that gets crashed by newbies... Thats rich.
Thats what the statistics show man, not much i can do about that.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts