Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike starts, but wont with choke on. It was working 2 weeks ago during tune up, but now shes back together , and poof choke problems....... So its been warm here in Omaha so i didnt think on it much not having to use it (as she runs with out it) but now in the cool AM 70s the bike wont start with the choke on. (Still starts with out it) To get it to run with choke on I have to give it a throttle pull, and then it runs rough..... turn choke off runs low, but fine, after it warms up runs like a champ. I was fiddling with the cable adjuster(choke on running rough) and all of a sudden it went up to 3k like normal...... what could be my issue here, it was working 2 weeks ago. Twisted cable maybe, though i dont see how that would effect it as it just pulls the plugers. Thoughts?

Plugers close all the way, and has wiggle room ie does not touch slider on plugers when choke is off.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bike starts, but wont with choke on. It was working 2 weeks ago during tune up, but now shes back together , and poof choke problems....... So its been warm here in Omaha so i didnt think on it much not having to use it (as she runs with out it) but now in the cool AM 70s the bike wont start with the choke on. (Still starts with out it) To get it to run with choke on I have to give it a throttle pull, and then it runs rough..... turn choke off runs low, but fine, after it warms up runs like a champ. I was fiddling with the cable adjuster(choke on running rough) and all of a sudden it went up to 3k like normal...... what could be my issue here, it was working 2 weeks ago. Twisted cable maybe, though i dont see how that would effect it as it just pulls the plugers. Thoughts?

Plugers close all the way, and has wiggle room ie does not touch slider on plugers when choke is off.
I think my new cable is to long

·
Administrator
15,588 Posts
adjust cable then visually inspect the choke rail for correct on/off action.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
adjust cable then visually inspect the choke rail for correct on/off action.
It turns on off just fine, doesn't seem to be binding or anything... 56 here this morning i thought for a sec it was going to work. It jumped up like normal to 2.5k for about .10sec then dropped rpms to 1k, and started running rough same as before. Dies if i take choke off. No change if i mess with cable. Plugged circuit on choke????? Will run.of waem enough out.... thoughts??

·
Administrator
15,588 Posts
check choke fuel pickups as yet? guitar string your friend

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel pick ups??? Grabbing air, and a string.... blowing out after work.

Update........ so i put her on the center stand, and started it..... she rev up to 3.5k like normal.... i put on the kick stand, and she drops. (That explains why when i was working on it, it worked fine) all i can conclude with that symptom is that my floats are off a bit, but i checked at 17mm when i put it back together.... i guess its possible i was off and it was 15 or 16 what do yall think? Would this effect, and or make it do what its doing?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
setting up the carbs after a refurb is an art form in a way. because there so many variables that effect the final set up
providing they were done properly in the first instance of course.
setting the floats to 17mm is just a guide. you have to wet test them to accurately establish the true float levels. should be done before you fit them (but can be done after) just means if their wrong you have to take the carbs off again.
even if you set them to within a few microns of 17mm on both sides you still could have odd float levels due to differences in each carb no, 2 are the exactly the same. just as you can bench balance them with a 1thou feeler but still need to do a balance test. and the idle screws. set to 2,1/2 turns out initially but further adjustment required to dial in each carb.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
setting up the carbs after a refurb is an art form in a way. because there so many variables that effect the final set up
providing they were done properly in the first instance of course.
setting the floats to 17mm is just a guide. you have to wet test them to accurately establish the true float levels. should be done before you fit them (but can be done after) just means if their wrong you have to take the carbs off again.
even if you set them to within a few microns of 17mm on both sides you still could have odd float levels due to differences in each carb no, 2 are the exactly the same. just as you can bench balance them with a 1thou feeler but still need to do a balance test. and the idle screws. set to 2,1/2 turns out initially but further adjustment required to dial in each carb.
Appreciate it, but i know all of that.... ive ripped, and cleaned these parts 20 times over, never had this issue, and that doesn't answer my question.

Can floats being off a small amount cause the choke to work on center stand, but not the kick stand. So far its the only thing that effects outcome. But with everything else running normal i just dont know. If it is off its the smallest amount as it doesn't effect anything else

IE..... if i parked my bike on the center stand i wouldn't even know i had a problem.

I once had an issue like this..... new plungers fixed it. While kinda the same, this is different because last time it was the same symptoms no matter what i did, clean carbs bla bla bla..... this time all is fine except the choke only works if on center stand, the choke wants to work on kick but just wont..... as soon as i put it on the center she revs right up..... otherwise just fine.... i can red line, starts on 60+ day no choke yadda yadda.

All i can think is float levels.. nothing else is being effected or adjusted.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think it's float level, unless one is really way off.

I agree with: "check choke fuel pickups as yet? guitar string your friend"
Anyone have a picture, I forget what that looks like; it's in the float bowl, right?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
sorry Leroy but the first part of that last statement is illogical. I wrote. "setting the floats to 17mm is just a guide. you have to wet test them to accurately establish the true float levels. should be done before you fit them (but can be done after) just means if their wrong you have to take the carbs off again.
even if you set them to within a few microns of 17mm on both sides you still could have odd float levels due to differences in each carb no, 2 are the exactly the same."

so if you know this already why have they not been wet tested. and why are you unsure the float levels may not be correct and off slightly. see the point.

and to answer your last question yes of course it can make a difference, for several reasons. if the levels are not bang on you will have more fuel in one carb than the other. this is made worse by being on the side stand as the carbs are now tilted to the left.
so the fuel level on left float is higher, than the right effecting running if one is high anyway this made worse. and can over/under fuel one side.
the amount of tilt will depend on the stand some are bent, some worn. and the ground may not be level. all will increase the angle the bike is tilted at.

as a test start the bike level (even if you have to sit on it) start it up. when running place on side stand and leave it running it will start to run uneven. then as the fuel is used up on the left side it will settle down again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here's a picture, nothing in the float bowl; looks like it draws fuel up through that passage with brass tube, in the middle of the body:

Gas Auto part Metal Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
sorry Leroy but the first part of that last statement is illogical. I wrote. "setting the floats to 17mm is just a guide. you have to wet test them to accurately establish the true float levels. should be done before you fit them (but can be done after) just means if their wrong you have to take the carbs off again.
even if you set them to within a few microns of 17mm on both sides you still could have odd float levels due to differences in each carb no, 2 are the exactly the same."

so if you know this already why have they not been wet tested. and why are you unsure the float levels may not be correct and off slightly. see the point.

and to answer your last question yes of course it can make a difference, for several reasons. if the levels are not bang on you will have more fuel in one carb than the other. this is made worse by being on the side stand as the carbs are now tilted to the left.
so the fuel level on left float is higher, than the right effecting running if one is high anyway this made worse. and can over/under fuel one side.
the amount of tilt will depend on the stand some are bent, some worn. and the ground may not be level. all will increase the angle the bike is tilted at.

as a test start the bike level (even if you have to sit on it) start it up. when running place on side stand and leave it running it will start to run uneven. then as the fuel is used up on the left side it will settle down again.

The reason is because i already measured at 17mm, wet test, Sync, tuned, it all checked out ok like i have plenty of times prior. Never had this issue before.

If i knew the problem... wouldnt be one! So again unless i measured wrong, like i stated is possible how would i know what was going on, and/or what fuel levels are doing..... as i thought i did it correctly already. I haven't done anything to check, beside the cable adjustment. thus why iam here. To see what options i have before i take it apart, hook up lines and check for things i dont need to check. See the point. I can take it apart, and start over, but thought i would come here and ask if anyone has seen this before..... because this would be a tiny amount off if so... as if it was to low i would bog down at some point, and if high flood out...

To answer your question.... it will drop in RPMS if i have on center stand then move to kick while running, put back on center and it chokes just fine.

So unless anyone has a better idea.... i guess fuel level check is where i need to look 1st. Thanks (Thats all i needed)

I see people are still snarky round these parts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think it's float level, unless one is really way off.

I agree with: "check choke fuel pickups as yet? guitar string your friend"
Anyone have a picture, I forget what that looks like; it's in the float bowl, right?
I thought so too (fuel level) but people seem to think it might be the reason..... ill check what ever just dont wanna do things i dont have to if its something else.

IMO if it is the fuel level its such a small amount because it doesnt show anywhere else, bike runs great outside of the choke. I could be wrong... Going to pull a tank off another grav fed bike and give it a test still on, if its the fuel level it will show real quick, if not.... i saved myself the hassle of carb remove rebuild.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I see people are still snarky round these parts
Nah just the odd one at the end of a very long day. :mad:(n)

all I was trying to point out is if you did wet test them to +1/ -1mm of the float bowl join (both carbs the same level) they cannot be wrong. so can eliminate this as a issue.
also all bikes are different mine. if left running on the side stand (hot or cold) for several mins will start to run uneven and eventually stall out. on restarting it runs rough on one side until it's cleared everything out. never happens on the centre stand or paddock stand. is it a problem no. I just don't leave it running on side stand.

with that I'm out.

edit,
while I'm here. just want to add this is the gen 1 I'm talking about. the other bike (made from a gen 2 but highly modified so not relevant) will run all day on the side stand .

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah just the odd one at the end of a very long day. :mad:(n)

all I was trying to point out is if you did wet test them to +1/ -1mm of the float bowl join (both carbs the same level) they cannot be wrong. so can eliminate this as a issue.
also all bikes are different mine. if left running on the side stand (hot or cold) for several mins will start to run uneven and eventually stall out. on restarting it runs rough on one side until it's cleared everything out. never happens on the centre stand or paddock stand. is it a problem no. I just don't leave it running on side stand.

with that I'm out.
Thanks for the input i do appreciate it, (i hear ya long week and its only wed) i would think levels were ok but again i could be wrong. With how its acting i dont see a better place to start looking.

·
Administrator
15,588 Posts
make sure plungers are threaded tight into each body as well

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wish I had that set of carbs; I'd get a few of those transparent
float bowls and watch the action during a cold start, such fun!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i did it and either my plug is clogged or the feul level is that low.... carbs coming off.... darn at least i may have found the issue. Update when done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts