Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a chance to really explore, but I wanted to ask before I go taking things apart. The choke on my '90 works fine, but when I pull the lever down to engage it there is no tension. I have to physically hold it in place or it just snaps back, turns off the choke, and runs rough (only at startup - before it's warmed up).

My question is, what is supposed to hold the tension on the choke? Is it something in the handlebar assembly that holds the lever, a spring on the carbs, or something completely different? I guess it's possible that the cable should hold the tension and is just wore out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I have the same question. The choke no longer stays on, it slowly slides off over the course of ~15-20 seconds. I've got the carbs apart for cleaning, since it won't idle anymore, and I see the 2 screws that hold the choke "slide" to the carb, but they seem really tight already (or frozen). Is there an adjustment else where to tighten it? Mines an '89.

Thanks 8)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never did fix mine, and I was just thinking about it the other day. It'd be nice to hear something about this. Mine doesn't even hold for more than 3 seconds, so I usually have to sit on the bike and hold it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow! I actually know the answer to this one! ;D

The "thing" that holds the lever in the choked position is inside and integral to the turn signal housing (where the choke lever is) on your bars. This is on the 94+ I am talking about, by the way. I don't know about the previous version.

I was having the same problem, and I took apart the housing to figure out what was going on. There is a spring loaded white "block" that presses against the choke on the inside of the housing. It feels like a rubber, and it acts like a brake. In my case, the housing was misaligned very slightly, and so the brake wasn't effectively holding the choke. I carefully reassembled the housing, and it works great now.

Perhaps your block or choke needs to be cleaned or replaced? Lubing the cable would probably not help, because it would just make it easier for the choke to slip back.

Also, FYI, the spring return for the choke is at the carbs, but there is nothing holding it in place at the carbs, and there is no spring return at the turn signal housing.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MaximX said:

The "thing" that holds the lever in the choked position is inside and integral to the turn signal housing (where the choke lever is) on your bars. This is on the 94+ I am talking about, by the way. I don't know about the previous version.

I was having the same problem, and I took apart the housing to figure out what was going on. There is a spring loaded white "block" that presses against the choke on the inside of the housing. It feels like a rubber, and it acts like a brake. In my case, the housing was misaligned very slightly, and so the brake wasn't effectively holding the choke. I carefully reassembled the housing, and it works great now.

Perhaps your block or choke needs to be cleaned or replaced? Lubing the cable would probably not help, because it would just make it easier for the choke to slip back.

Also, FYI, the spring return for the choke is at the carbs, but there is nothing holding it in place at the carbs, and there is no spring return at the turn signal housing.
Thanks for the reply! That'll give me a starting point when I get a little time to mess with it. Good to know, because I surely would've started working from the other end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MaximX said:

Yes, you were right, of course, thanks!

Here's a pic from my '90. It's an L-shaped rubber or urethane piece with a spring integrated into it just like you said. Mine is broken, but I put a bit of cardboard under the spring to make it push harder and that's working, for now. I'll buy a new one soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great pic Blacknred! No matter how many words are used to describe something, a picture really brings the message home. Thanks for taking time to share. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Surprise, that part is not available. :eek: You have to buy the entire switch assemble for ~$125. But, it shouldn't be to hard to shovel something under the rubber piece so it presses harder against the choke lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts