Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, need your expertise.
This is the second time that I cleaned the carburetor, first time was a few days ago but problem continued so I pulled the carbs out again yesterday and cleaned it really well. I cleaned pilot screws and used compressed air to blow all holes along with guitar string. Made sure the float needles move freely up and down and cleaned all the jets.

Now after installation, bike no longer smoke from right exhaust nor spots fuel from left exhaust but the right header is still glowing red like lava is about to burst out :( and idles very rough no matter how much I adjust the idle screw. Also what is weird is the oil doesn't seem to circulate in the engine.
For example before I was having this problem, every time I turn bike on the oil is completly removed from the little window but now it's still up to top line with bike on or off.
Please I would really appreciate any input or help. I haven't had any ride time for past 2 weeks and feel so down that I can't figure te problem nor ride :-(.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Your carb "Cleaning" ain't working. Did you check the float height and determine that the float valves are sealing? you glowing pipe is likely to be raw fuel being burned in there due to a flooding condition. I bet you still have the pair system working.
You better seek help
FOG

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also since the pair system is for emission purpose wouldn't cause bike to fail inspection if I remove it?

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
As I said get help. all the info you need is here. search

FOG

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Doctor ducatiman to the carberator section of ex500.com

Dr. ducatiman.

I think I know what he's going to say. Pull BOTH pilot screws, washers, and orings at same time jets and slides are all out THEN blow it clean. Then he's gonna tell you to just buy a rebuild kit and replace the float valves especially if your bike is older. That's just minimal there's a lot more to cleaning and setting these carbs up. At least you were attentive enough to use a guitar string on the pilot jets. Look up any of ducatimans posts where he explains the proper way to clean and setup the carbs. That's the best advice I can submit for you.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Why is the guy running too threads on the same topic?

FOG

·
Super Moderator
14,778 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The EX year is 2001 and has 4000 miles on it. Going to work on it tomorrow and update the results afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
14,778 Posts
12 years old and only 4K miles...this bike sat a lot

yes, i'd def replace float valves and bowl gaskets.

get the kits on hand before you start, disturbing (removing) 10 YO float bowl gaskets (likely flattened) will no doubt end up leaking upon reassembly.

If you choose to go forward without kits on hand, gonna be a very frustrating path.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ducatiman, I actually rebuilt the carbs the first time with new gaskets etc... I was having problem adjusting the float valve to 17mm but I just finished the adjustment and synched the carbs last night. Problem solves and bike is runing smooth.
I have a question since bike has 4000 miles on it do you think it's a good time to do the valve adjustment now or wait till 7k? Also I live in Brooklyn maybe one day I'd get to meet you in person and learn a thing or two from you :).

·
Super Moderator
14,778 Posts
500strong said:
Thanks ducatiman, I actually rebuilt the carbs the first time with new gaskets etc... I was having problem adjusting the float valve to 17mm but I just finished the adjustment and synched the carbs last night. Problem solves and bike is runing smooth.
I have a question since bike has 4000 miles on it do you think it's a good time to do the valve adjustment now or wait till 7k? Also I live in Brooklyn maybe one day I'd get to meet you in person and learn a thing or two from you :).
I ride in to B'lyn now and then. Flatbush Ave exit off the Belt, Ave S area Marine Park. Where are you?

I've seen tight exhaust valves on EX in as little as 3000 miles. OTOH they may be fine. Only 1 way to find out, invest a few hours and its over.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
you mean I have to take the carbs apart to clean them??

FOG

·
Super Moderator
14,778 Posts
Just spray? How can you possibly expect them to be clean without toothbrushing the outsides?

jeez ;D

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
When your ex looks as good as mine then you really do worry about how the outside of the carbs look.

I actually made a post about dipping the ex carbs, it had nothing to do with the inside cleaning whstsoever. And I was serious as a heart attack about it.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Back when I was just a youngin...a fellow showed me the best way to clean carbs for bikes...inside and outside...and I do mean CLEAN...how you ask? You gently boil them in a 4-1 mixture of lemon juice and water respectively. You wouldnt believe How good this works...and it wont hurt the carb bodies at all. Just be sure to remove all rubber and O-Rings first
Also...tight valves will also cause the pipes to cherry up on you. Carry on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts