Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, working on my 96 500. Have got it to the point where I can get lights, indicators and a click from the fuse box, but nothing further.
Battery is new and load tested and is working fine. Stator is new and r/r is new.
What else could it be?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
try shorting the solenoid posts with a insulated screw driver (yes it will make sparks) if the starter turns the issue is either the solenoid itself or or something before it. if it doesn't turn the engine over. it is after the solenoid.
at least you will know where the issue is. providing you have turned that big red switch on the right handlebar to ON (don't laugh it has been done)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try shorting the solenoid posts with a insulated screw driver (yes it will make sparks) if the starter turns the issue is either the solenoid itself or or something before it. if it doesn't turn the engine over. it is after the solenoid.
at least you will know where the issue is. providing you have turned that big red switch on the right handlebar to ON (don't laugh it has been done)
Will give that a try. Thanks mate - I can imagine it has been done.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
- I can imagine it has been done.
yeah more than you would think. a couple of weeks ago a member went through a chasing ghosts episode because he cold not get the bike running did everything sparks carbs the whole 7 yards. then on about the #16th post he reported it was running now. "he had just noticed that big red switch" that no one had mentioned.
so now we do. ;) ;) (y)

·
Registered
846 Posts
If it doesn't turn over when you short the solenoid terminals, don´t try to force it to spin, because probably your cylinders are hydro-locked. Take out the spark plugs and unscrew the crankshaft cover (the big plastic plug with big slot at the stator cover) with a coin. Insert a 14mm socket over the nut and turn it clockwise and clockwise only. Check if it turns over and report back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had a similar, yet intermittent, situation for the last few months. Electrically, everything tests out good, but sometimes when I hit the starter i get a clicking or light buzzing from the junction box. Lots of research on years old posts seems to indicate that it is probably the starter relay inside the junction box. This seems to be a semi-common failure and is a relay that is not easily replaced unless you have electronics/circuit board skills. New junction boxes go for about $120 on Revzilla, or I am sure a used one can be sourced through the normal channels. My solution has just been to ride it until I want to spend the money. The bike is light so it is easy to push and pop the clutch to start so I just do that if it doesn't fire over...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Established it was solenoid. Replaced. Problem solved. Many thanks all
Hey all... Having a similar problem. Clicks at the fuse (take fuse out it stops), but it is cranking by laying a screwdriver over the solenoid terminals (fuse on it is good too).

Euanskawasaki, I didn't see in this thread if yours was turning over when you jumped the two terminals?

Thanks guys Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all... Having a similar problem. Clicks at the fuse (take fuse out it stops), but it is cranking by laying a screwdriver over the solenoid terminals (fuse on it is good too).

Euanskawasaki, I didn't see in this thread if yours was turning over when you jumped the two terminals?

Thanks guys Mike
Yeah that's how I established it. New solenoid and you should be sorted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts