Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems that most people on this site who have the woodcrafts, have the lowered riser type. does anyone have any experience using the real clip on type that clips directly onto the fork?

i can see there would be a clearance issue with the tank, but is it really that bad? how often (other than being parked) are you at a full lock turn like that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Besides aesthetics and the actual ride, Crash your bike and the odds that your thumbs will be broken go up dramatically. :eek:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Even if you don't crash, a tank slapper would do a pretty good job still :-\

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
tank slappers don't happen because of clip-ons. it happens because the bike is out of track (front and back wheel out of alignment) and the bike is trying to settle itself in a most violent way.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
not saying the clip-on would affect a crash in any ways..

I just think that there is not much clearance between the tank and the handlebars. If you lower them, you'd be squishing your thumbs between the tank and the clip-ons.

That's something I had to address when I lowered my handlebars and replaced them with wider ones : the switches on both sides were impacting with the tank.. Had to limit the turning radius of the fork by welding some extra metal so I'd save both my tank and my thumbs if a said situation would be to ever happen ;)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it possible to adjust the bars so that they dont hit the tank? or are at too far forward of an angle then?

·
Registered
192 Posts
another question regarding the clipons... when my dad got new racetech springs installed in his vfr800, it lifted his bike's front end a significant amount... I am planning on getting the racetechs put into my ninja and i expect it to lift the front end a bit too. That being said, would it be reasonable to surmise that i could slide the front forks up the triple clamps and attach normal clipons (like ones that go around the forks instead of the clipons that sit on top of the forks)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
dragknee said:
is it possible to adjust the bars so that they dont hit the tank? or are at too far forward of an angle then?
it would be too far forward for me

furyskater911 said:
would it be reasonable to surmise that i could slide the front forks up the triple clamps and attach normal clipons (like ones that go around the forks instead of the clipons that sit on top of the forks)
You could certainly slide the front forks up. When I got my EX, the forks were sitcking about 1 inch through the tripple tree, but I was always hitting the lower cowling on speed bumps (due to the reduced ground clearance)

Maybe the racetech or some spacers would fix this..

Nick did install some spacers in his fork tubes and it raised his bike.. Altough I don't know by how much, I'm guessing between 1/2 to 1 inch

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm... im thinking i may just weld some metal onto the tab that controls how far you can turn the bars, so that way it wont hit the tank. ill lose the lock, but w/e...

maybe ill try the slide up thing.

check this pic out: looks like he is running the regular clip on's rather than the lowered riser kind:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts