Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question inspired by the bumble bee who was not pleased to find themself in my stinky jacket instead of on a sweet-smelling flower today: anyone have any (non-injury-inducing?) interactions with your local wildlife while on the EX? I'm sure people have much funnier stories than a surprising bee sting!

·
Registered
924 Posts
ha ha yes dozens.
2 questions for you. 1. how long does take to stop from 60mph and remove you helmet when wasp gets in.
answer. less than 3 seconds.
2. what are the chances of a seagull pooping at 100feet and hitting you in the middle of your visor while doing 50mph.
answer odds on it happened to me twice.

my best one though is while riding around Scotland I saw a sign saying "Caution Deer crossing" I thought oh how quaint (we don't have wild deer) then round the very next blind bend there was huge stag in the middle of the narrow road.
still don't understand how I missed it. but it was probably due to swerving going through a hedge and then grass tracking for a couple of hundred yards.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Caught a pigeon to the shoulder doing around 50, hurt like hell but kept the bike upright.

Ran over the tail of an alligator, came up on him real fast on a curve and ended up riding through the grass and layed it down at about 10mph. No injuries, broke my mirror, thats it.

Almost hit a deer as I was pulling into my driveway, thing came around from the woods behind my house.

Countless close calls with squirrels, snakes, and dogs, even a few cats.

Damn, now that I think about it Florida is dangerous lol

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Not wildlife but at 16 years old, riding an SL350 Honda on my learner's permit, I ran over a medium sized dog. I turned right onto a side street and he came running at me, apparently aiming for my leg. Still in first gear, I pinned the throttle to zip away from him just as he decided to cut right to run around the front of the bike. I ran over him with both wheels, then looked in the mirror to see him barrel rolling down the street. He got his feet under him and managed to run off.

I went straight to the police station to report it, and as I turned to leave, the desk Sargent said "Wait a minute, how did you run over a dog and not crash?" I told him "I grew up on dirt bikes. I skipped the front wheel over him, like riding over a log". He said "Well, I'm glad you didn't get hurt." As I walked out the door I could hear him laughing behind me.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
A question inspired by the bumble bee who was not pleased to find themself in my stinky jacket instead of on a sweet-smelling flower today
That's happened to me on more than one occasion. I've had a wasp deflect off the chin bar of my helmet and go straight down the neck of my riding jacket/leathers. The first was just before crossing the Golden Gate Bridge on my way to my Uncles place the day he retired from the US Navy after 20 years.

It didn't start stinging me until I was on the bridge. I couldn't stop. No place to pull over, and mad traffic. I got stung in the chest and just smashed my fist in the area where the sting was. I thought I got him then.

A little while later, while navigating down town traffic in The City, I got stung again. I repeated the above process and figured I'd gotten him. Then, about 3 blocks from my Uncles, I got stung repeatedly. I dunno how many time, but it was one after another after another.

I got to my Uncles place, he was outside iin the driveway with my cousins and some friends from his ship when I pulled up. I didn't even say hello. I jumped off my Ninja, whipped off my jacket and unzipped my armor underneath and out fell the still living wasp.

I yelled a few obscene words as I stomped the life outta that bastid. My cousin and my uncle roared with laughter once they heard that. My cuz couldn't believe the thing was still alive. I had a bunch of welts on my chest from being stung. My cuz was amazed that I continued riding after being stung like that.

Another time I was riding out towards Lake Berryessa and the exact same thing happened. I didn't keep riding that time. I pulled over immediately into a turn out and unzipped my leathers to get the bastid out.

I've had them fly into my helmet through the vents before. THAT's a surprise. You feel the bug hit the chin bar and think it's smashed and you'll have a mess to clean.......and then minutes later as you're riding along you see the thing crawl up on your visor. EEEK. Turn head, open visor....guh bye! Had that happen more times that I can count.

As to other wild life....I've rounded a blind corner to find a flock of turkeys in the road. Had a whole flock of geese stop traffic in Monterey before too.

Not really hit anything besides a few birds that bounced off my riding jacket.....and run over an indecisive squirrel before. It was in and out of my path of trave about a half dozen times before he froze between my wheels and took a rear wheel to the head.

Then, then there was the neighbors dog. That little twit was a PITA on a daily. He'd get out of the neighbors back yard and run to the street to chase cars and of course, motorcycles. I'd come home from work and as I'd turn the 90 degree right turn on my street, the little bastid would come running out from the left, out of my view and chase the bike.

As I'd accelerate coming off the corner, it was never a big deal. Until it was. That particular day I was riding to work. I had a late start that day due to flying the night before so I was heading in a little after lunch time. That 90 degree right was now a 90 degree left.

Once again, I'm not looking in his direction as I'm leaned over to the left and looking to the left as far up the street as I can see when in my peripheral vision, below where I'm looking I see this little brown ball of fur flying through the air.

Unbeknownst to me, the little bastid had run out with an intercept trajectory and somehow gotten in between my wheels and made contact with the left side foot peg. It must have been sorta like a bat meeting a ball as it sent the little bastid flying.

I didn't know what happened. I certainly didn't feel it happen. I just saw the fur ball flying and rolled off the throttle. As I stood the bike up, I looked in my mirror to see the little bastid rolling along the road towards the side walk on the left side of the road. I watched long enough to see him get up and run back to his yard.

I don't even know what side of the road he came from, I never saw him until he was airborne and into my field of vision.

I've probably had more close calls with wild life on my bicycle than my motorcycles but that's a whole other story.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I once had a third class encounter with a pack of stray dogs.

I Was rolling to the beach and when the roads ends and starts the sand, had to slow down. Then I see them coming. A pack of 8 to 10 stray dogs of all sizes surrounded my bike while I fought to not fall in the dry and hot sand.

Suddenly I feel a stung at my calf, and when turn my head to see what happened, it was a F*ing black dog, the biggest in the pack. I see it trying to bite me but I hold the clutch and gunned the throttle to make noise. They step back just enough to make my scape trough the sand.

When I check my calf, there where a pair of scratches. That M*F* bite me!

·
Registered
19,353 Posts
Riding My FZR1000 across New Haven ,CT I see a dog angling towards me on a dead run. I aimed for him dead center and nailed him but the bugger still nocked me down causing me to break a collar bone (again)
Jeeze right in the middle of Downtown,there is (was) a dog?

FOG

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
A few years ago, I also 3 close calls on one ride in the morning with my brother on our birthday. I first had to slow for some quail, then I think it was a squirrel, then I had a VERY close call with a flock of turkeys in the middle of the road part with through a corner. I was on the Duc and most of the ride I was really getting a deep lean on the corners but after the squirell, I took it easy for a few corners (well, only kind of easy) and it paid off. If I had been at full lean when I rounded the bend for the turkeys, I would have certainly found myself sliding sideways into the ditch. As it were, I had just enough time to get myself somewhat upright before digging into the brakes, which got the front end chattering. Narrowly missed the feathered bastards.

There was another time a jackrabbit poorly judged just how fast I was going. I didn't have a lower fairing then and clipped him hard with my right header. I had slowed a bit but wasn't about to do anything drastic. It was a straight stretch of road so running over an animal that small didn't pose any risk to me losing traction like it would in a corner and I'm not about to risk my life or bike for the sake of a bunny. I turned around to see if the rabbit survived but alas, he did not. Some of the fur was cooked onto my exhaust too.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
A very long time ago, while I was stationed in the UK, my buddy Bill and I went on a ride that took us out to a semi-moth balled Air Base called RAF Fairford which is now famous as the home of the Air Tattoo.

Back then, it was in care taker status and there were a handful of GIs stationed out there. I don't even recall why we were out that way...it had nothing to do with anyone stationed there.

Anyway, having been there a few times for maintenance calls on some of the refueling trucks there I had a pretty good idea of the flora and fauna that presented hazards to us. I'd seen the pheasant out there as big as turkey here in the US. I'm not exaggerating. They were huge.

Biggest pheasant I've ever seen in my life. Tail feathers were nearly as long as a pea cocks. They also had this annoying habit of flying on to the road for no apparent reason. There were scores of them that'd been hit and/or run over everywhere.

So, there we go, hauling the mail like usual. Probably running somewhere around 110 mph. Long straight road that one....but we went everywhere at that speed. Or faster. As we scooted past the entry gate to RAF Fairford, a large pheasant came swooping down towards the road right in front of us.

I swerved left towards the shoulder but Bill was to the right side of the lane, and nearest oncoming traffic. I made it safely past and checked my mirror as I went by to see that Bill was safe. Somehow, he'd timed the gap in oncoming traffic and swerved at the last second to miss the bird. He passed so close to it a puff of feathers came off as he went by.

That was a close call....but it was nothing compared the experience I had in North EFF el Ay the following year. My buddy Mike and I were out for a ride and were heading back into Panama City from the East. Again, a long straight road but out in the forest this time.

We'd wicked it up a bit but Mike was cop and didn't push things too far. So, we were maybe at around 70 or so and suddenly I see this long thin object whirling through the air right at my head. I seriously thought in that moment that he'd slung the chain off his GSXR1100.

I was maybe a second, second and a half behind so all of this happened in that tiny space of time. As I got closer, I realized it wasn't his chain, but a rattle snake of substantial size. A good 5 1/2-6 foot Eastern Diamond Back.

I swerved left, and tucked as much of my body over to the left as I could in that split second. I missed collecting that snake at 70 mph around my neck by inches. As it flew by, over my right shoulder I caught a glimpse of it's rattle which appeared to be several inches in length.

I can't really paint a picture of how this thing looked in flight. It was whirling not unlike a propeller, head and tail at the apex of rotation and a fat kink in the middle. I checked my mirror after I cleared it, and watched as it hit ground and slithered off the road to the right and back into the weeds and undergrowth.

My heart rate got up a bit. Not gonna lie. The thought of having that thing wrapped around my neck......Mike and I talked about it later....and both wondered how the hell I'd missed it doing just that.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Somewhere along Highway 33 on the way back home from Ojai, I came around a corner to find this guy sunbathing in the road....

Reactions: Apriliarider

·
Registered
62 Posts
1. how long does take to stop from 60mph and remove you helmet when wasp gets in.
answer. less than 3 seconds.
3 stings to the forehead Sunday....On the ZX10, 60 to zero in about a second and a half :mad:. My kid thought it was funny.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Somewhere along Highway 33 on the way back home from Ojai, I came around a corner to find this guy sunbathing in the road....

View attachment 52601
That happens about 3 or 4 times on my commute to work (6.7 miles!) on a daily in spring and fall when temps are high during the day and fall to the high 40s and low 50s at night. Most get run over by the cars but every now and then, one will still be fully functional when I pass. No fun when I'm on my bicycle either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts