Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my first issue is if i dont ride for a few days, the first time i pull in the clutch and put it in gear, its acts like the clutch is engaged and i lunge forward and it dies. i then have to hold the front brake and start it(still in 1st). i can feel it tug but then it will start. from then on, it will not do this. are my clutch discs sticking together, maybe throwout bearing??? im not familiar with cycle clutch set-ups yet. fluid level is good BTW.
oh yea, i believe FOG stated than if you ride in 2nd, let it compress, and if it kicks into neutral that there is a trans issue.(well obviously there is, haha) so what exactly would need to be replaced to fix this??

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
FOG explained that from second to neutral somewhere. I'm having the same problem, but only under a hard engine braking.
When your bike has stood long enough unused, the plates will stick together. You did just what the experts' advice is. Once they are freed, the plates will not get stuck unless your bike is unridden for several weeks, I believe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, not worried about the clutch then. I was thinking of replacing it next summer so maybe that will help as well.

and yeah it only kicks down to neutral when im coasting down a very steep hill, upwards of 7-8k rpms. as long as my trans doesnt detonate due to this problem i wont worry about it either.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
That jumping out of gear, will get worse as the bushings in the tranny continue to wear. The only fix is to remove it and rebush it with better stuff than stock.

FOG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You dont need to replace the clutch...EVER. It is the one bullet proof piece on this bike. Only thing that needs to be upgraded is a set of Barnett clutch springs

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
spikezx5r said:
You dont need to replace the clutch...EVER. It is the one bullet proof piece on this bike. Only thing that needs to be upgraded is a set of Barnett clutch springs
What would you estimate time and cost for this upgrade , don't have a manual yet and didn't see anything on here about changing out springs, Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FOG said:
That jumping out of gear, will get worse as the bushings in the tranny continue to wear. The only fix is to remove it and rebush it with better stuff than stock.

FOG
part numbers 92028 and 92028A right? this is on Bikebandit.

im curious about those clutch springs as well. I found EBC's on Bikebandit for $8, are Barnett's better and where would I find them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have bought Barnett clutches before, reason I went with them. You want early model ZX600 springs Barnett number 501-50-05055 will work I believe. They are like $15 and take less than a half hour to install. Bought mine at my local bike shop.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Independentfool said:
FOG said:

FOG
part numbers 92028 and 92028A right? this is on Bikebandit.
Wrong the bushings are pressed into the gears and are not avaliable as seperat parts

FOG

·
Registered
286 Posts
spikezx5r said:
I have bought Barnett clutches before, reason I went with them. You want early model ZX600 springs Barnett number 501-50-05055 will work I believe. They are like $15 and take less than a half hour to install. Bought mine at my local bike shop.
Is that the right number for the springs?
I don`t want to order new springs on a believe they will work..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wedge446 said:
spikezx5r said:
Is that the right number for the springs?
I don`t want to order new springs on a believe they will work..
Can I get a confirmation on this FOG, my memory is a little fuzzy ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts