Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clutch cable (more accurately the ferrule on the lever end) snapped last night on the way back from work. Luckily I was carrying what I thought was a spare - which i'd bought a few years ago - definitely advertised as a 'GPZ500 1994-2006 clutch cable'! But the length seems to be much shorter. Threading it through the same path results in it falling short by about 10cm:
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Machine

Problem 2: At the lever end the metal tubing on the new cable seems to have a lip on it which prevents it from fitting into the adjuster nut. I might just buy another OEM one to get it asap, but am I missing an obvious trick here that sorts out problems 1 and 2?
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Motor vehicle Rim

Bonus problem: At the clutch end, I can't for love nor money get the other ferule out of the release lever housing. I had to leave it at work and didn't have any lubricants or oils to leave on it, but it just wouldn't come out of the slot. Any tips welcome. When I go back i'll tool up properly, but I thought this bit would have come out easily, i even rotated the lever pivot so that it was facing out.
Gesture Auto part Bumper Monochrome photography Font

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Clearly the wrong cable as 1987-2009 all use the same cable. As to the cable end, it is held in position by a small metal tab. Bend the tab out of the way and you are golden.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yeah you have been sent the wrong cable (it does happen) the cable ends are the wrong type and obviously it's too short.
if it's not quite the right length short/long you can usually reroute it to make it fit but not with the wrong ends on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys, i've got a pyramid parts one on the way so that should do the trick. @po18guy you don't happen to have a clearer pic of the tab that i should be bending do you?

If it's like this I would have thought it would come out easier

Font Parallel Coil spring Sugar substitute Drawing

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The tab may be gone. But the cable must be loosed from the handle bar end to get enough slack to pull the ferrule far enough to release from the "trap" which holds it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
the cable end that goes into #13102 is a pear shaped lead end, if it's been on a while it can get squeezed into the clip and jammed a pair of pliers should loosen it. I usually buy the make your own cable up kits. no choice on the gen 2 as the high bars require a cable 8in (200mm) longer than stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts