Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am curious where does your ex500 clutch lever start to engage the clutch?
My bike's clutch engages almost immediately upon pulling the lever.
The problem is when releasing the lever and engaging the clutch, my left hand is barely on its tips and I have extremely limited control. I would prefer the lever engagement to be near 3/8 or halfway pulled and not towards the end of the lever.

Can this engagement point be adjusted?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Absolutely. Cable has adjustment at both ends. One end, down by the clutch, you make major adjustments then make minor adjustments at the little wheel like adjuster just past the lever pivot.

FWIW, some riders prefer their adjustment to disengage almost right away, as you describe. Personally, I prefer full disengagement by the time the lever is 3/4 of the way to the bar. That gives me some relief when I have to keep the clutch disengaged for an extended period.

All my bikes are set up that way, including those with cable clutch actuation (both my GSXRs).

Reactions: Hamzah812

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how you have it set up, is exactly how I prefer.
Right now clutch lever disengaged clutch at 1/8 to 1/4 pull. I want it to disengage at about 1/2 to 5/8 for maximum control and feel of clutch. On my finger tips I have limited/no control of easing in and out whereas fingers curled a bit I have better control and feel for smoothness on the clutch.

Can you please elaborate how to make that change?

I'm assuming all you do is break free the 2 adjustment nuts move them in 1 direction until the lever engagement feel changes to where desired and then tighten them 2 down?
To my understanding the lever adjustment is just clutch freeplay only and will not change disengage/engagement points. Correct?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
So how you have it set up, is exactly how I prefer.
Right now clutch lever disengaged clutch at 1/8 to 1/4 pull. I want it to disengage at about 1/2 to 5/8 for maximum control and feel of clutch. On my finger tips I have limited/no control of easing in and out whereas fingers curled a bit I have better control and feel for smoothness on the clutch.

Can you please elaborate how to make that change?

I'm assuming all you do is break free the 2 adjustment nuts move them in 1 direction until the lever engagement feel changes to where desired and then tighten them 2 down?
To my understanding the lever adjustment is just clutch freeplay only and will not change disengage/engagement points. Correct?

Thanks!!!
Both of your assumptions above are correct. Major adjustments are made at the mechanism nearest the clutch (undo both nuts and adjust as necessary).

Free play adjustments are done on the clutch lever to make sure the clutch is not being partially activated, even with the clutch lever fully released.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts