Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in an empty parking lot practicing some maneuvering on my ‘95 ex500. I was driving it decently hard but not outrageously. I shifted up to 3rd and 4th on a long straight and then down shifted to 1st. Then when I tried to shift up again, the shift pedal would move up to 2nd or down to 1st and neutral, i’d give it some throttle in 1st or 2nd and release the clutch lever but the clutch doesn’t engage... the bike just revs but with no movement.
Any ideas or help?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
sounds like you broke something. time to take the case off and have a look. could be the mechanism. primary chain. or something completely different. it is definitely not any of the usual clutch issues as then you have the opposite problem of the plates not releasing. could even have broke something in the gear box. or it's something simple like the gear lever is slipping the shaft and your actually not able to shift out of neutral. you won't know until you look.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
I think I would check the shift linkage first.

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
stuck in neutral check the shifter is actually connected

FOG

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
get a torch. look at the gear selector shaft that comes out of the bottom of the engine (tip its just under the frame where that cut out section is) see if it moves when you operate the gear lever. and at the same rate. my guess is the bolt is loose or missing and stamping on the lever has allowed it to be loose on the shaft so is not selecting gear when operated. IE the lever moves the shaft doesn't.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
get a torch. look at the gear selector shaft that comes out of the bottom of the engine (tip its just under the frame where that cut out section is) see if it moves when you operate the gear lever. and at the same rate. my guess is the bolt is loose or missing and stamping on the lever has allowed it to be loose on the shaft so is not selecting gear when operated. IE the lever moves the shaft doesn't.
Cheers! I’ll give it a look in the AM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like you broke something. time to take the case off and have a look. could be the mechanism. primary chain. or something completely different. it is definitely not any of the usual clutch issues as then you have the opposite problem of the plates not releasing. could even have broke something in the gear box. or it's something simple like the gear lever is slipping the shaft and your actually not able to shift out of neutral. you won't know until you look.
Haybaler, came by and gave me a crash course on the clutch system.. I’ve been using regular 10-40W automotive oil. Didn’t give enough thought into how the engine and transmission are one with bikes so you have to play to both parties. Long story short... ground the clutch plates into frisbees. Really appreciative of all of you guys lending an ear, a jab at the rookie, and some advice. 👊🏿 Excited to keep working on this thing man. Thanks, haybaler

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was out in an empty parking lot practicing some maneuvering on my ‘95 ex500. I was driving it decently hard but not outrageously. I shifted up to 3rd and 4th on a long straight and then down shifted to 1st. Then when I tried to shift up again, the shift pedal would move up to 2nd or down to 1st and neutral, i’d give it some throttle in 1st or 2nd and release the clutch lever but the clutch doesn’t engage... the bike just revs but with no movement.
Any ideas or help?
Okay! So the burnt disks in the photo are not edible… but they are what’s left of my clutch plates. Note the disk that’s shredded down to the bones. I’ve got a new clutch kit on the way.
I’ve been trying to find a thread in the forum that references oil contamination. Would anyone happen to know if putting regular auto synthetic oil in the engine “contaminates” it. Also, it looks pretty toasty in the clutch box. Should I or is there a way to flush the engine?

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
I wouldn't recommend flushing the engine, just change the oil. IMO synthetic oil is not a good choice in the EX.

Reactions: AfroNinja56

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
hi. there are long laborious discussions and threads on the forum about oil. everyone has their own opinion on it but for sure the best oil seems to be a basic one. (it's what the engine was designed to run on) the more complex the oil the more issues people seem to have the only thing that goes in my 88K engine is straight mineral oil 10/40w from Walmart (as Fog calls it Dino oil) regular changes are more important than what basic stuff goes in.
the photos illustrate a clutch that has at some point been run on oil that is dirty and worn out for a long period. the burning and wear also due to a clutch that has been run poorly adjusted allowing it to slip and over heat.

but that is not the whole story. you said you couldn't shift the gears get neutral or any gear. the clutch would not cause that issue. did you check the gearbox selector shaft and lever as suggested. what did you find.
while the clutch is stripped can you now select any gear or neutral while turning the inner hub in the clutch basket if the answer is no the issue is still there and the poorly clutch is not the cause.

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
actually the clutch look fine, just not used, seems it has been badly adjusted or something is preventing it from engaging. a worn out clutch would have no fiber on it at all and be seriously stuffed. you plates seem new.
FOG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi. there are long laborious discussions and threads on the forum about oil. everyone has their own opinion on it but for sure the best oil seems to be a basic one. (it's what the engine was designed to run on) the more complex the oil the more issues people seem to have the only thing that goes in my 88K engine is straight mineral oil 10/40w from Walmart (as Fog calls it Dino oil) regular changes are more important than what basic stuff goes in.
the photos illustrate a clutch that has at some point been run on oil that is dirty and worn out for a long period. the burning and wear also due to a clutch that has been run poorly adjusted allowing it to slip and over heat.

but that is not the whole story. you said you couldn't shift the gears get neutral or any gear. the clutch would not cause that issue. did you check the gearbox selector shaft and lever as suggested. what did you find.
while the clutch is stripped can you now select any gear or neutral while turning the inner hub in the clutch basket if the answer is no the issue is still there and the poorly clutch is not the cause.
The lever was too tight, though I have no point of reference for how tight or loose it should be. The selector shaft (which after some googling appears to be the foot lever on the left) is screwed in fine and not loose. So i’m going to guess it was the clutch lever being wound too tight. Is that an ok guess?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
actually the clutch look fine, just not used, seems it has been badly adjusted or something is preventing it from engaging. a worn out clutch would have no fiber on it at all and be seriously stuffed. you plates seem new.
FOG
In the 3rd picture with the notched disks, should the 3rd disc from the left be that smooth. If that’s the only one that needs replacing is it safe to put the others back in. Loosen the clutch lever, put new oil in it and test it out? I only ask because in the middle of the clutch basket casing I see what looks like ball bearings and they look blackened and stiff. Wondering if I need to clean and oil those or if they’re just by design.

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
No it should look like all the others, aperantlly that was the only disc that was working, tryinyto do the job of the whole clutch by itself.
‘what on gods earth were you using for oil? That stuff seem to have turned to soot.

Fog

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No it should look like all the others, aperantlly that was the only disc that was working, tryinyto do the job of the whole clutch by itself.
‘what on gods earth were you using for oil? That stuff seem to have turned to soot.

Fog
Pennzoil high mileage 10W-40

1 - 20 of 31 Posts