Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The lever was too tight, though I have no point of reference for how tight or loose it should be. The selector shaft (which after some googling appears to be the foot lever on the left) is screwed in fine and not loose. So i’m going to guess it was the clutch lever being wound too tight. Is that an ok guess?
No that is not what I said or meant. I'm referring to the shaft that comes out of the gearbox underneath the frame.
this one.

the photos not that good it is hard to take a picture of it but it's the one connected to this bit on the gear linkage near the gearbox.

if this is slipping it will stop you selecting any gear.
I refer to your opening post.
quote "
I was out in an empty parking lot practicing some maneuvering on my ‘95 ex500. I was driving it decently hard but not outrageously. I shifted up to 3rd and 4th on a long straight and then down shifted to 1st. Then when I tried to shift up again, the shift pedal would move up to 2nd or down to 1st and neutral, i’d give it some throttle in 1st or 2nd and release the clutch lever but the clutch doesn’t engage... the bike just revs but with no movement.
Any ideas or help?"

this doesn't sound like a clutch problem to me although you do not make it clear if you actually did select a gear or not my guess is it's stuck in neutral so did the next 3 posts.
I agree with Fog (I have to) that clutch although very shitty should work fine if it is adjusted correctly I have seen a lot worse but it still worked. just needs a clean. I think you need to explain a little more. does the neutral light come on and go off if you try to select first gear. (because of the neutral finder it is the only gear you can select until moving)
the fact you said it just revved in 2nd. (a gear you cannot select while stationary) leads me to believe the clutch is not your problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No that is not what I said or meant. I'm referring to the shaft that comes out of the gearbox underneath the frame.
this one.
View attachment 54365
the photos not that good it is hard to take a picture of it but it's the one connected to this bit on the gear linkage near the gearbox.
View attachment 54366
if this is slipping it will stop you selecting any gear.
I refer to your opening post.
quote "
I was out in an empty parking lot practicing some maneuvering on my ‘95 ex500. I was driving it decently hard but not outrageously. I shifted up to 3rd and 4th on a long straight and then down shifted to 1st. Then when I tried to shift up again, the shift pedal would move up to 2nd or down to 1st and neutral, i’d give it some throttle in 1st or 2nd and release the clutch lever but the clutch doesn’t engage... the bike just revs but with no movement.
Any ideas or help?"

this doesn't sound like a clutch problem to me although you do not make it clear if you actually did select a gear or not my guess is it's stuck in neutral so did the next 3 posts.
I agree with Fog (I have to) that clutch although very shitty should work fine if it is adjusted correctly I have seen a lot worse but it still worked. just needs a clean. I think you need to explain a little more. does the neutral light come on and go off if you try to select first gear. (because of the neutral finder it is the only gear you can select until moving)
the fact you said it just revved in 2nd. (a gear you cannot select while stationary) leads me to believe the clutch is not your problem.
I wish there was a way to get you all on a zoom or phone call. Not to abuse your knowledge but just so I could better explain. I’m a visuals guy.
Nonetheless, I can shift from neutral to 1st and sometimes up into second if I duck walk the bike. When I do so, releasing the clutch doesn’t engage anything nor does the bike die like it would if I was in a gear and released the clutch without giving it throttle.
I do now understand what you were referencing! I’m going to hop on youtube and find out how that bit works. I currently know it as the rubber knob that connects my shifter to the clutch 😂

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
I think you're going to have to remove the clutch cover and have a look in there. Expect to replace the cover gasket when doing this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Any ideas or help?
Gentlemen… she lives! It was the fried clutch pack. Had a good time fixing it up with Haybaler. She runs beautifully now. Still some work to do in other places and it feels good to know how to get in the clutch basket and do something meaningful. Excited to keep learning how this thing works.

Any suggestions on what I can take apart and put back together next? Ha!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gentlemen… she lives! It was the fried clutch pack. Had a good time fixing it up with Haybaler. She runs beautifully now. Still some work to do in other places and it feels good to know how to get in the clutch basket and do something meaningful. Excited to keep learning how this thing works.

Any suggestions on what I can take apart and put back together next? Ha!
WooHoo! Nice work!
Be gentle on that new clutch though; it didn't look as robust as original equipment stuff.

Suggestion:
Check rear sprocket cushion play; commonly loose rubber cushion piece; remove wheel and shim the cushion piece to eliminate any free play.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Looking at the pics in post#11. Third pic down, the one of the friction disks. If they were installed the same direction that you're holding them, then they were in backwards.
In other words, if your thumb is on the disk that was on the pressure plate, then they are in backwards.
In other words, if the disk closest to the camera was the first one out (or last one in), and in the direction shown in the pic, then the friction disks are in backwards.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Well this is unfortunate. The OP thinks he has this issue fixed. When the fact of the matter is, all that was fixed was a symptom. The root cause was never addressed. Now he is not logging into the site to get the complete answer. He'll be back the next time he needs advice, more than likely with this same issue. So at least the answer will be waiting for him when this same issue arises in the near future.

The friction plates must go in the correct direction. Or the clutch will soon fail due to it not getting lubricated properly.

The answer was staring me in the face and I missed it. I apologize for not seeing it sooner.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
hi, just an observation here. perhaps the plates in his hands photo 3 were reversed when he picked them up. I say this because the plates in photo 1 and photo 4 show the plates the correct way round while sitting on the ground, as they would be if you removed them one at a time and placed on the floor.
whether or not he fitted them correctly on reassembly we may never know. perhaps @haybaler could enlighten us as he helped the member off the forum. and may have insight into this conundrum.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
@yorkie
I'm way ahead of you. The position of the disks on the ground actually help my theory that they are in backwards. I can further explain that later if we don't any conformation one way or the other.
If my theory is wrong:
Then the question becomes
Why is the most important detail for the good of the forum omitted?

So I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the response.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts