Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is kind of a weird problem... today i stopped to get gas. when i tried to start it back up, the relay just clicked... almost like the battery was dead. i put it in first and rocked it a bit, then pulled the clutch in, and it would crank half assed, still like the battery was dead. sometimes it wouldnt crank at all. i let it sit for a minute, then tried it again, and it fired right up.

so i rode on

about an hour later stopped again for a few minutes. tried to start it back up. same problem. took about 15 minutes but it finally started.

so i ride home

i pull into the garage and turn it off. then for shits and giggles, i try to start it to see if it will happen again... fires right up. i let it sit for a few, tried to start again, and it did it. didnt wanna start. i put it in first, rocked it, and it started right up again.

the second time it happened today, i was kind of concerned that it wouldnt start at all. and i was a good 50 miles from home :-\

anyone had a similar problem to this? a short in the clutch switch? a short somewhere else? bike possessed by the devil?

when it was clicking and stuff, i hit the horn and it sounded as strong as ever, so it didnt seem that the battery wasnt giving it enough juice.

it did this once to me about 3 months ago. but it started after a few tries, and never did it again, so i kind of forgot about it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, I had a problem like that once on a different bike-- it was a voltage regulator/rectifier (one piece unit). My battery wouldn't charge with the engine going-- it wasn't putting out enough voltage. If I let it sit for a but, the battery would kinda build up and then get it going for a bit, and then it would die again.
How are your lights doing? With mine, the horn was deader than four o'clock.

Since your problem is intermittent and your battery seems to be fine, then I would just say it's a loose connection or ground somewhere. Check the battery connections, the ground to the starter/relay and the like.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what i was thinking too... since the horn was blaring (as much as the stock horn does lol) and my brake light was coming on normally, i kind of ruled out the battery... the connections at the battery are fine, and appear to be at the relay too.

i was leaning towards clutch b/c of how it would act when the clutch was pulled in...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, the clutch shouldn't have anything to do with it... The gear lock-out switch shouldn't be in use when the bike's in neutral, so I'd rule that out.
I'm still leaning towards dirty connection or a dirty fuse or something. When a switch or relay goes, they tend to just die... when it's intermittent, it's got to be a dirty connection, (I think). Hell, FWIW, it could even be a dirty starter switch.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it was in neutral it would just clickclickclickclickclick, if i wanted it to even act like it was thinking about turning the engine over, id have to put it in first, and hold in the clutch... so thats what was leading me towards that clutch switch... but i get what you're saying though... maybe its a problem with the neutral lockout switch? somehow the bike thinks its in gear when it isnt?

when i get home im gonna make sure everything is clean and tight, and there are no crossed wires or anything.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Intentionally short out (bypass) the switch and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
hum, last time I checked, if a safety switch was the cause of your problem, the starter won't even click => check dirty connections, ground strap to the battery.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
cLEAN THE STARTER BUTTON.

fog

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok a little update. i cleaned out the switches (clutch and start button) and it still does it. ive got a little trick to get it to start.

here are the symptoms

- if its in neutral and clutch out it will just buzz the solenoid
- if its in neutral and clutch in it will click once
- if its in first and clutch in it may start or may just click once

ive been getting it to start by putting it in first gear, clutch out, holding the start button in, giving it a little roll and pulling in the clutch at the same time. it usually fires right up that way.

it seems like maybe my starter is sticking or something? but its weird how its intermittent. it would be kind of hard for me to take it to a shop because sometimes it fires right up with no problems...

ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same exact problem. My difference is my lights dim all the time. When i hit the brake the headlight dims. I had this happen for quite a few days in a row and has gone away for awhile but i'm thinking it will come back just because it's me :) If you find the solution please let me know i'm very interested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had a similar problem on my car (no bashing please, just trying to help)

next time it happens, bypass the starter circuit by jumping the starter connections (constant 12v and switch). note: your key and kill switch must be in full on position, and bike in neutral. if it cranks, it's either your relay or wiring from starter switch (like fog said)-->starter. i've never tried jumping the starter on the bike, so i don't know how hard it is.

if it doesn't start at that point, i would guess it's the starter, and you have a flat spot in the starter. try replacing it with a good one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts