Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One close call!
About a mile from my house I get on the freeway in a S shaped on ramp. A hard left, hard right and then a short straight before needing to merge. In a car it is nearly impossible to get up to the speed of traffic which generally is about 70-80ish (people in California speed). Right after the apex to the right there is a small dip, like a reverse bump, not a pothole, just uneven pavement. Big enough to be felt, but not so big that the suspension gets upset.

So every morning I use this on ramp and I've found a pretty good line through it. I try to work on my line and cornering skills any time i can because most of my commute is freeway mileage. So this morning I feel a little sluggish on the bike, and I don't make the effort to keep my weight on my toes as much as I normally do. I didn't go through the turn faster then normal, and right as I apexed to the right, the back tire stepped out big time.

I would like to say I had the presence of mind to keep even throttle and drive through the slide, but the fact is, no sooner did my mind register that the bike was sliding it found traction and jumped back in line. Can you say highside? Lucky for me I was not going faster then normal, so it did not toss me.

I learned a few things this morning, things that I already knew. 1. keep your mind in focus while riding! 2. Take it easiER on cold tires 3. Don't be lazy, use your body weight as a tool while riding the bike. 4. Did you forget to stay focused!

Just thought I would share my near get off in the hopes it would A: remind me to ride smarter B: hopefully help others.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, I have one of those strange bumps on my on-ramp that bugs me. In addition to that they made the freeway so I bump up and down every second (no problem in a car though).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Revort said:
Yup, I have one of those strange bumps on my on-ramp that bugs me. In addition to that they made the freeway so I bump up and down every second (no problem in a car though).
what is with that bump-bump-bump every second? I cannot figure out why the bike does that on these freeways, yet in a car, it's super-smooth. It's not like we have race suspension or anything :-\

1 - 3 of 3 Posts