Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the cold valve lash settings for a '91 EX 500 ninja with a afm muzzi exhaust but i don't think that will affect the settings i got it for my 15Th and my dad and I rebuilding and repainting it so any mechanical tips r welcome THNX[/color][/color]

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
.005 -.007 IN .006 - .008 EX

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Come on, Really?

FOG

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
FOG said:
Come on, Really?

FOG
Remember FOG this is the interweb... the place where people with NO mechanical aptitude get the idea that they are the next Junior Johnson and just can't wait to get into their engines up to their elbows, with the usual disasterous outcome.

To the original poster;
The valve lash is, for the most part, to compensate for the expansion of the metal parts due to HEAT.

Can you figure it out from there... no?
Valve lash is ALWAYS adjusted cold.
The sprockets won't affect it, what kind of exhaust you have won't affect it, what you had for breakfast won't affect it....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Schmokey,welcome to the forum.As you can tell,some of us are a bit sarcastic.Fog and Bitz are a fountain of knowledge about EX500's.You should probably buy a manual (Clymers from Amazon)and educate yourself on some of the fundamentals.Do that ,and put up with some kidding ,and you should be able to fix up your bike.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
bitzz said:
FOG said:
Come on, Really?

FOG
Remember FOG this is the interweb... the place where people with NO mechanical aptitude get the idea that they are the next Junior Johnson and just can't wait to get into their engines up to their elbows, with the usual disasterous outcome.

To the original poster;
The valve lash is, for the most part, to compensate for the expansion of the metal parts due to HEAT.

Can you figure it out from there... no?
Valve lash is ALWAYS adjusted cold.
The sprockets won't affect it, what kind of exhaust you have won't affect it, what you had for breakfast won't affect it....

Yeah I know and I try to understand and explain in infinite detail each nuance , and ..... he asked for the cold settings..... and ... and..... mutter ..grumble.. Must go take a nap...

FOG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts