Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have a good safe trip. It looks like you should have pretty good weather. Have fun and take lots of pics and breaks!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here in Colorado Springs, there's some tricky weather today. Next few days should be drier. Hope it clears out before you get here.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I am now safely in colorado staying at my cousin's place. Got in last night.

Sky-guy: Yeah, I got hit pretty hard yesterday (13th) going from Lamar to denver. On top of that I got "lost" (yeah.. I ment to take the extra-scenic route, sure I did!). I intended to take 287 to Limon, but instead missed my turn and ended up on west 50 until Fowler. It was pouring the whole way. I went north on 71 to Limon, it had stopped raining but I was fighting what had to be at least a 50mph headwind. That highway was 90 miles of nothing, with only a barn every 10 miles or so. Glad I didn't break down there.

It was a good ride. Took me three days, I stayed in Turkey, TX and Lamar, CO. Did about 400 miles per day which took me 9 hours from leaving in the morning to walking into the next motel (next time, I'll pack a tent!).

One of these days I'm gonna have to put some highway pegs on my bike, because those would make the ride so much more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Glad to hear you made it a.o.k. That would suck to get stuck in the pouring rain, but at least you got a blow dry shortly after ;).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, you certainly brought good weather with you. End of this week has been gorgeous and the weekend looks to continue the streak.

Any tips for riding in a downpour? How did your raingear perform? (Or did you just deal with being soaked?)

How often did you stop/stretch/rest?

Glad you made it safely.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For riding in the rain, I have a joe rocket mesh jacket with a waterproof liner, and some waterproof (but not protective) overpants. The ultimate tip for riding in the rain is "suck it up", but gear to keep you mostly dry helps. My one complaint was the waterproof cover on my tailbag getting ripped open (by the wind I guess). I owe my friend a new map.

My rest stops varied between 50 and 100 miles. The most common cause of a stop was because my legs were cramping up. If I had highway pegs I don't think I'd ever have to stop at less than 100 miles. My arms and back got a little sore, but it wasn't near as bad as the leg cramps.

I'm planning on heading back home tomorrow. I might try for 2 days instead of three.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts