Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the official website for Competition Werkes looking at the fender eliminator for the EX500.

Not much of a detailed description of the kit, but the picture looks fair to good. I was a little confused by the applications chart though.

In one listing it says fits 87 - 07 and under the picture it says "fits to 03"

http://www.competitionwerkes.com/Catalog/kawaski_ex500_915119.htm

My bike is an '04 and I know that the re were some changes from the 03 to the 04 model, but does anyone know if this kit will fit on a 2004 with no modifications ?

G-man

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I emailed Comp. Werks and they said "yep it'll work " seems the picture hasn't been updated since '03 that's why it says "will fit through 03".

You say the kit doesn't come with detailed instructions ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have one of the ex-Penguin bikes and mine came with the nifty case guards already installed. I have no idea where you could get them but I can take a pic of them for anyone who wants to try their hand at welding a pair. It appears that the left side uses the holes and bolts from the sidestand and you have to drill and tap a hole in the frame. On the right side you must have to drill and tap all three holes.

Let me know if anyone wants to see a pic of them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gman said:
You say the kit doesn't come with detailed instructions ?
Correct. At least mine 2 years ago didn't. it was more like a generic diagram for all their fender eliminators, with arrows to indicate where to run the signal wires, etc.

I'm trying to remember what all I had to do, but basically you remove the rear seat 'handle' and two/four screws to get the old fender off, then the Werks piece goes back in its place using the two handle bolts. remount signals and license plate...done.

·
Registered
192 Posts
does it really matter if there were detailed instructions... it is supposed to replace the stock setup so it should match all of the holes...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Detailed instructions make me think a company has thought about the customer along with the product.

the instruction sheet I got didn't show the "parts that are included"
so I think my kit was missing one bracket.
All in all Iilked the mod.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gman said:
Detailed instructions make me think a company has thought about the customer along with the product.

The EX500 kit should only contain one metal 5-sided 'box' that replaces the fender, a couple rubber grommets, and a few bolts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
malkore said:
Gman said:

The EX500 kit should only contain one metal 5-sided 'box' that replaces the fender, a couple rubber grommets, and a few bolts.
My Kit contained
  • (1) 5 sided stainless steel box (replaced the fender)
  • (1) instruction sheet
  • (1) large rubber grommet
  • (4) nuts
  • (4) flat washers
  • (2) rubber backed washers
when I was done, I had two left over washers and two nuts.
OK three nuts if you count me as one of them ! :p

I like the looks of the bike much better without the fender. I showed the mod to some friends over the weekend and they said it didn't look like it was missing a fender, it just looked like a regular crotch rocket back end. (OK so they were cruiser bike owners) but I have to agree the bike looks more "normal" without the black plastic fender hanging down along with 3 reflectors on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick question - for those that have the kit, does it "fill" the hole left in the underseat compartment when the stock fender is removed? The previous owner of my bike installed his own "ghetto" fender eliminator that does not fit and left a 4-5" empty gap where the stock fender sat. I would like to replace this with something that was actually designed for the bike, especially if it will keep water/debris out of that area.

Any detailed pictures from under the bike or under the seat would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts