Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
Wanted to lift up my handlebars a little bit without a big fuss or splurge of money.
I came across a bunch of bar riser plates for the concours 1000, but none that specify ex500.
I have a gen 2 2005 Ex500, will the zg1000 plates fit? the handlebars seem similar in looks

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
got a picture of them, ?? there was a company (name escapes me) that used to make risers for the EX but I've not seen any around for while. one thing to consider if you try to lift the bars too high none of the cables will fit or the front brake hose. I cannot remember off hand what the limit is but it's not much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To follow up on Yorkie's post here, the company was Motorcycle Larry, whose owner, Larry, passed away about 10 years ago. It looks like family carried on for a few years, but is now defunct. Larry was a Honda ST enthusiast who branched out to provide sport touring accessories for other bikes. I have a set on my 2009 and the measure right at 30mm, which I would estimate is the limit of the stock cables/wiring. I can't imagine there is much of a used market for them, as mine will never be removed...:)

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The Concours has 41mm fork tubes, so some adaptation would be needed.
An ER-5 upper triple (if) fork separation and offset are the same, would allow you to have tubular bars of your choice. But, those are not a US model. Canada?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The Concours has 41mm fork tubes, so some adaptation would be needed.
An ER-5 upper triple (if) fork separation and offset are the same, would allow you to have tubular bars of your choice. But, those are not a US model. Canada?
no can do, as it has been explained in several threads of the past, the top ER yolk will not match with the btm EX yolk, because while the fork separation is the same the rake and distance of the tubes to the headstock is different so they will never line up.
however you can use both the top and btm yolk of the ER on the EX with some modifications also explained in previous posts. FYI this mod is useful on gen 2 bikes as both models use 37mm tubes. if you try to do this mod on a gen 1 you have to either use ER tubes or tubes of the gen 2 EX. as the gen 1 uses 36mm tubes. the only issue then is changing the front wheel brake from left to right (if using gen 2 EX forks).

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Being so close to DOA that I might drop dead searching the forums for other threads, I simply added the "IF" to my post. I took the risk, knowing that I might be pulled up short by "someone" with greater knowledge. ;)

These bikes are by now only a cult remnant of what they once were and aftermarket support is drying up.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
@po18guy I wasn't pulling you up over the "IF" that was not my intention I apologise if you thought I was, it's just this scenario has been suggested before, I have written a full explanation before on this forum. and before posting looked for it in the search so I could just add a link to it, but after a 30 mins search could not find it, perhaps it buried within some other thread, so I made a simple cut down version in reply, having done this very mod to the gen 2, (first tried on the gen 1) it's not as simple as it may seem from a "what if" idea, possible of course it is, but far more involved than just swapping out the top yolk.

to be honest it's not really something members from North America (and other places) should consider if the ER5/500 is not one of their country models you need so many parts from the ER it would make the cost (especially shipping) prohibitive just to alter the bikes handlebars.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
So now I wonder if the Vulcan 500 or LTD 454 upper would fit? The quest continues...but not for me.
I cannot get the bars low enough. I was able to snag some Woodcraft adj clipons for a pittance on eBay.
The rake and offset are constant concerns. I wanted to swap a Yam XJ650 upper onto the EX, as it is a far better design, but NO! Close, but as they say, no cigar!

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yeah I think the suitability of the EX, riding position depends on stature. I have short legs and long arms (no silverback jokes please) so need the bars higher, my son has a CBR600 that is weird for me during a ride we swapped bikes on the way home after 30miles my back hurt so much I had to give it back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts