Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been riding a Ninja 500 for 2 years and stored in cold canadian winters.

One day, I very briefly saw some white smoke rising from the engine upon startup, then nothing.

Took it out for a ride, no temperature problems at all. Took the belly fairing off, and there is dried white and green stuff all over these screws (sorry my motorcycle vocab is bad):

Nothing like it anywhere else on the engine. The hose is intact, coolant level is normal and no new leaking during idle.

What is this from? Is this a ticking time bomb?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
You may need new water pump gaskets.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you still have coolant in the system? Do you know where it is leaking from? I had a small leak on the tube from the water pump and as long as I kept the coolant topped off it was fine till I could fix the issue.

·
Registered
19,301 Posts
It’s coming from the weep hole between the coolant & the oil seal.
you need to remove the water pump and resurface the carbon seal face that rubs on the back side of the impeller. If that don’t fix it you need a new seal

fog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It’s coming from the weep hole between the coolant & the oil seal.
you need to remove the water pump and resurface the carbon seal face that rubs on the back side of the impeller. If that don’t fix it you need a new seal

fog
Thanks for the responses all. fog, I now know how to get to the seal but what do you mean by resurface? Take it out and put it back in? Sorry I am new to all this.

Cheers

·
Registered
19,301 Posts
The water seal is a black carbon ring that is spring loaded to run against the ceramic surface of the impeller . It is very soft material and can be damaged by contaminants in the coolant. you may repair it by rubbing it on son very smooth sandpaper to "Resurface" it smooth again.

FOG

·
Registered
388 Posts
Is this a ticking time bomb?
The answer is yes. There is so little coolant in these bikes that continuing to ride it with a significant leak is asking for way more serious problems. Fixing that pump is a priority repair. If you've got to ride it in the meanwhile, first take the pressure cap off (engine cold) and check to make sure the system is full. Just because there is coolant in the overflow tank doesn't guarantee a full system if there is a problem with the cap. As long as you keep coolant in it and don't drastically overheat it, you can nurse it along until you can do the proper fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

If I understand correctly, I need to separate the first cover layer from the second (where my screwdriver is) to not destroy the impellor. Any recommendations how? It's totally sealed and won't budge without pulling both layers off.

Or am I wrong about that?
Thanks

·
Registered
19,301 Posts
You must separate the front cover as the impeller is sandwiched between the two the pipe comes off with the cover .
better tell you the impeller is left hande thread righty loosey

fog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts