Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 98’ Kawasaki ex500 and just the other day while I was riding I turned too slow on a turn and obviously went down. Well as I turned it back on and everything it was smoking and felt like it wanted to accelerate by itself. Now a few days later I find what looks like coolant leaking when I turn the bike on. Any ideas on what may need to be looked at?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
providing you haven't damaged a coolant line suggest you check the coolant tubes that go through the head looks like it's leaking out of the weep holes in the side of the head down past the spark plug wells.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,393 Posts
You have to replace the coolant pipe O-rings. It's best to do a valve adjustment at this time if you haven't just recently done so. (It kind of goes hand in hand)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
You have to replace the coolant pipe O-rings. It's best to do a valve adjustment at this time if you haven't just recently done so. (It kind of goes hand in hand)
this is true, in order to replace the tube "O" rings you have to remove the tubes. so you also so have to drain the coolant, it's very little extra work to remove the valve cover and check the valve clearances while your in there. it is a critical maintenance item often forgot. so an ideal time to do it.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,887 Posts
this is true, in order to replace the tube "O" rings you have to remove the tubes. so you also so have to drain the coolant, it's very little extra work to remove the valve cover and check the valve clearances while your in there. it is a critical maintenance item often forgot. so an ideal time to do it.
My 2¢,
You might as well do the O-rings on the other coolant tubes as well. They are all the same age as the head tubes. Do yourself a huge favor and order OEM O-rings, don't waste your time and money on aftermarket ones.

I'd hate to see you do the head tubes only, and then have to do the others later because they are leaking now, and do some of the same work all over again, and downtime.

While you have drain the coolant anyway, it's a good time to flush and fill new 50/50 premixed coolant.

Reactions: bpe and yorkie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2¢,
You might as well do the O-rings on the other coolant tubes as well. They are all the same age as the head tubes. Do yourself a huge favor and order OEM O-rings, don't waste your time and money on aftermarket ones.

I'd hate to see you do the head tubes only, and then have to do the others later because they are leaking now, and do some of the same work all over again, and downtime.

While you have drain the coolant anyway, it's a good time to flush and fill new 50/50 premixed coolant.
Do you by chance know the oem part numbers for the o-rings? i’m gonna take your advice and not waste my time on aftermarket ones.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,105 Posts
Reactions: ghostt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2¢,

So I took out the tubes and the o-rings were brittle and the entire tube was covered in rust. Anyways I cleaned it all off and practically looks brand new. Now for the installation process the o-rings seem to be causing me problems. When I put the tube in the bore/hole I can see the o-rings getting squished and pushed out of their original placement. Any tips on how to get the tube in smoother?

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
Polish the bore, use grease

Fog
Yeah, what he said 👍 most of the time apply a little grease to the O-ring when assembling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, what he said 👍 most of the time apply a little grease to the O-ring when assembling.
So I got everything back together but when I try to turn it over it cranks but won’t start. I got new spark plugs and when they’re inserted the bike sounds like it’s wanting to crank very slowly and the starter starts to click. But when i take out the spark plugs with the cables attached to it it cranks normally. any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
battery condition? fully charged? has the bike been run since post#1
hi, to add on, what I'm trying to say is. was the bike running ok before you started the repair, if it was the chances are something you did is causing the issue this happens 95% of the time, something forgot, wired up wrong, or similar. or the battery has drained to point where it no longer functions.

if it wasn't running since the spill you need to go through a diagnostic check for issues. or if something was broken in the fall.

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
2¢, if using a car to jump a motorcycle, THE CAR MUST BE OFF/NOT RUNNING!!!

As the others have said, charge battery, then try again, the report what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi, to add on, what I'm trying to say is. was the bike running ok before you started the repair, if it was the chances are something you did is causing the issue this happens 95% of the time, something forgot, wired up wrong, or similar. or the battery has drained to point where it no longer functions.

if it wasn't running since the spill you need to go through a diagnostic check for issues. or if something was broken in the fall.
Yeah it was running before I started digging into it. I could crank it over and ride if I wanted to but now it won’t crank over. The battery does seem to be weak because last night it sounded like a dead battery and then I jumped it and all of a sudden it wanted to crank but still didn’t. I also checked for spark on the spark plugs and I definitely had spark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2¢, if using a car to jump a motorcycle, THE CAR MUST BE OFF/NOT RUNNING!!!

As the others have said, charge battery, then try again, the report what happens.
alright guys I have narrowed down my problem and you guys might get a lil kick out of this…. so I realized the lever for the choke wasn’t doing anything and so I manually pulled on the slider that’s attached on the carburetor and hallelujah it started…

1 - 20 of 22 Posts