Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know, I’ve been making lots of mods to my bike, and a lot of that has been moving components around to make way for new bodywork. The coolant overflow reservoir is quite an eyesore, and ultimately I want to hide it. My question however is probably more about functionality and how far I can take the idea.

I understand that as the engine heats up, the coolant expands, sometimes resulting in the overflow. In the stock setup, the overflow reservoir and the thermostat are relatively at the same height, so I am guessing that when the bike cools back down, any overflow can then flow back in, via gravity. Now, I have already moved my thermostat to a location inside the frame, it sits right above the engine, attached to the removable bracket that holds the front gas tank rubbers (yes, future valve adjustments are gonna be a pain in the ass, but that’s future Paul’s problem). So my assumption is that I need to move the overflow reservoir to sit at the same level as where the thermostat now sits. But somewhere I can’t remember I saw where someone moved their overflow reservoir somewhere way towards the back of their bike. This got me wondering if maybe my concept of where the overflow reservoir is located might be incorrect. Does it matter where it goes? Does it matter what shape it is? What if I just removed it entirely and ran a hose straight out the thermostat and down?

Please educate my dumb ass here, before I go mess up my bike, haha.

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
You know what they say about assumption,

Well the good new is gravity is not involved. the overflow ,really a expansion tank is a vital part of the system and must have coolant in it at all times(temps) the transfer in both directions is by thermal expansion & contraction the rad cap is the control valve with a out bypass set at 13 PSI and a return valve at 2 OR 3.
you can relocate these components any where you like in respect to height ,but the expansion tank must be mounted in the same attitude. to be sure the return line has axes to the coolant

FOG

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
As you all know, I’ve been making lots of mods to my bike, and a lot of that has been moving components around to make way for new bodywork. The coolant overflow reservoir is quite an eyesore, and ultimately I want to hide it.

Does it matter where it goes? Does it matter what shape it is? What if I just removed it entirely and ran a hose straight out the thermostat and down?

Please educate my dumb ass here, before I go mess up my bike, haha.

Why hide it? Do something cool with it, like an alloy or stainless steel water bottle. Just make sure the inlet hose goes all the way to the bottom and remains submerged in coolant.

You could even wrap the bottle in something, like a beer can or your favorite soda can....or a Red Bull can. You could use almost any kind of container to do this.

Like I wrote, just make sure the inlet hose goes all the way to the bottom and remains submerged all the time. You'll want to have some sort of vent to allow the air to escape when hot coolant comes in, as well as let air back in as the coolant gets sucked back into the system.....sean

·
Registered
502 Posts
Another thing you can do is to tape-off a strip vertically (so you can see the level) and paint the rest of the tank black. Clean it well and use a paint designed for plastic.

As noted, all that really matters is that the overflow hose is at the bottom of the tank so it can pick-up the coolant and draw it back into the radiator as it cools. As the pressure builds the coolant is pushed out of the radiator and into the tank. As it cools the coolant from the tank is drawn back in.

If you don't have a properly functioning tank, air is drawn in as the radiator cools and the level in the radiator is always low. Even if you fill it when cold it will always be low again after heating and cooling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts