Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@po18guy
May be able to elaborate on using a vice.
Kinda new at this. How do I contact him?
If you're really desperate, you can use an M8 bolt, nut and two "fender washers." Make sure the bolt has rthreads all the way to the head, as you do not want the nut bottoming out on the shank of the bolt before the seal is fully seated. The bolt and one washer start from the engine side of the housing, through the hole. This supports the back side of the housing and gives the bolt a surface to pull from. Slip the seal (in its proper orientation) over the bolt on the outside of the housing, with the second washer over it and the nut capping everything up. Then two spanners/wrenches will pull it into place. Stop turning when the resistance suddenly increases - that generally means the seal is seated. A quick visual check and you are ready to go.
Hey I really appreciate the info and instruction on how to get this done. I will probably be reaching out again as the time approaches for me to tackle this. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
@po18guy
May be able to elaborate on using a vice.
Can be tapped in (carefully) with a mallet, supporting the seal housing on wood or similar soft surface. Can also use an appropriate socket in a vise to press the seal into place. IIRC, the socket should not match the outer flange diameter of the seal, but the diameter of the seal's recess in the seal plate. If your socket will just slip into the seal's recess, it is just right. Slightly larger than that will not be a problem, but you do not want to apply force to the flange of the seal as it will bend and the. seal will not fully seat in the recess.

In a vise, you would have 1) wood against one jaw of the vise as a cushion. 2) Seal housing against the wood, outside facing away from the wood. 3) the seal and 4) the socket. Start the seal into place, then adjust the socket so that it is centered on the seal. Then, tighten the vise very slowly, watching the progress. If the seal starts to tilt, stop! Straighten it out or drive it back out carefully and start over. Technically, you could use a large C clamp if you have no vise. Pressure is pressure. Just make certain that the engine side of the housing is cushioned, or you may bugger the oil seal cavity and the gasket sealing surface.

Then, you make a post that says "I replaced the water pumps seal and now it's leaking oil"

That would be not good.
Kinda new at this. How do I contact him?
Actually he already responded to this on the previous page. His response can also be seen in the above quote.

Information detailing some of the features of our site, and how to use them can be found here
FAQ

If you have any questions or need help navigating the website you can post a thread about it here
Site Help and Suggestions

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
To use a socket for a seal install, here is a rough idea of how it's done. Watch from about 3:30-4:00.

Reactions: bpe
21 - 25 of 25 Posts