Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW, these rock!
So sure we all have our mesh gear for hot riding but still it's hot fully buttoned up in Fla heat...

So i found this page at webbikeworld, a review of different cooling vests:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/cooling-vests/

So i did a google search for other vests also and found this one for $22!!!

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?ID=3471

It's a Forestry supply place, forest fighters I guess wear them to keep cool under all their gear

Anywho, allready used it several times and it's GREAT!
You soak it for a few minutes in water and put it on over your t-shirt under the mesh. The air flow + evaporation works for 8 hours plus and feels cold to the touch the whole time, plus once the outer part drys it doesn't feel wet, just slightly damp and very cool.

I wear it at work also as my fuel truck has no AC.

"Water Cooling Vest
Simply soak vest in cool, clean water for five to 10 minutes and enjoy eight to 10 hours of relief. Adjust side clips for snug fit. May be worn under protective clothing. Gel-filled vest only weighs five pounds when hydrated. Durable construction and lightweight cloth assure maximum evaporative cooling comfort. May be handwashed in soap and water. Orange. One size fits all."

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Whoa! Brilliant find!

That info oughta make some of our hot-climate riders very happy!

·
Registered
91 Posts
How does this work better then just soaking your t-shirt? Also doesn't it get everything else wet as well? Does it really last as long as they say?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much better then wet tee-shirt, it's freaking amazing, once the outer part drys it feels dry to the touch and the surface temp feels to be at least 70 degrees, maybe less, when i put my hand under the vest and feel my skin it feels cold and the dang thing seems to last ALLOT longer then the 8 hours they say, mine is still working the next morning. Now maybe if you were going across Death Valley in the summer on a bike at 80mph it would dry out faster but WOW I love mine....

It has these tubes running around it that have some type of crystals in them, when wet they feel like they turn to a gel of some type.
The gel seems to have magical properties I would say, yeah that's it! ;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one I wear under my full leathers - works great. I tried it w/ mesh & dried out too fast.
105 degrees & still wearing one piece suit w/ the vest.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type do you have?

Mine I wet Fri 10am, wore it at work all day, wore it home on the bike and it didn't dry out all the way till Mon AM....

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
ANy military guys here w/ desert combat experience:

Would this vest work under body armor?

My son's a Marine, a trainer right now, but this July he goes SSGT, which means he's heading back into the regular Marines... maybe Camp Lejune (?) this fall.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it definately would have fit under my body armor but it was really cold when i was in Afghanistan. ;)

Our troops hump so much weight the extra 5 lbs might be a factor also.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
267 Posts
So the Fieldsheer version of this vest (the Iceberg) has been on clearance for a while, so I finally decided to take a chance and pick one up--
First, the genius that sold it to me had the idea, "hey, after you soak it, why not put it in the fridge?" That guy deserves a Nobel prize. It was 80 here in Columbus and I froze my ass off riding this afternoon... these things are great.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
It was only 91 here, today, but on a long freeway trip it would be nice to have. When commuting, I sometimes try to take roads that have lots of trees growing over them. Baking in the sun makes you want to try one of those vests.

I have been wearing a mesh jacket, but it would be nice to have one of those underneath. The back armour is getting to me!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice for freeway use?
I use mine around town allot more as that's hotter riding.

·
Registered
633 Posts
yeh I've been in the desert once (aka I was passing through Iraq on a 3 week mission), 110 in the shade, but it was a very dry heat. The best relief that we had (and this works really good) is just to sprinkle a small amount of cool water on your wrists. I also kept a camel back that was filled with ice before i filled it with water. Also drink plenty of water and you'll be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts