Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a Corbin seat in good or ok condition and Brembo brakes ( front and rear )with all the hardware. If anyone has these ( especially the seat cuz I dont want to buy new ) that would be amazing. Or if someone could point me in the correct direction! Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I dunno about the Brembo brakes on an EX. The spacing between the caliper bolts is problematic as the sliding caliper on the EX has quite a large space between the bolts.

Brembos are not typically that widely spaced. You might come up with an adapter for a common sized set.....eBay is plum full of Ducati brake calipers.

You might find a single caliper and see what kind of spacing issues you have. Then take the bike to a machinist and see if they can make an adapter for you.

You see these all the time for Super Moto conversion for dirt bikes. You need one to move the caliper to the proper position but retain use of the upper bolt hole.

Alternatively, there are the Sumitomo calipers off of many Yamahas. They too are plentiful on eBay. There was a wider bolt spacing on the earlier YZF 600R than on the R6. Those *might* fit, plug and play.

Then there's the whole radial mount calipers which are not going to be of help in the least....unless you can have an adapter machined to fit them.

These are commercially available....but the bolt spacing is really the limiting factor. Hence, if you could have a machinist make one of the above, with the same bolt spacing as an EX brake, and the proper offset you could conceivably run a modern radial mount, 4 piston caliper. Just go easy on the brakes if you do :grin2: ..........all I got on the brakes man..........sean

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Why Brembo?
If it was 1982 I would agree that Brembo has a superior product, but it is 2019 and Tokico and Nissan are just as good as Brembo and a LOT easier to work with. A LOT EASIER.

... can ya' tell I have serious hate on for Brembo.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
... oh
DO NOT run a radially mounted caliper through an adapter.
The reason we have radially mounted calipers is the mount is much more rigid., By adding an adapter you remove all that rigidity.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
IMHO for a fully functional street configuration OP would be well rewarded by performing *full* caliper service(s), new pads, disc refresh (or replace if warranted), proper bleed and stainless brake hose(s).

Surprisingly effective, one finger braking can be accomplished on the EX...and quite affordably.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why Brembo?
If it was 1982 I would agree that Brembo has a superior product, but it is 2019 and Tokico and Nissan are just as good as Brembo and a LOT easier to work with. A LOT EASIER.
... can ya' tell I have serious hate on for Brembo.
I was wondering the same. The Brembos are nice looking so I suppose someone might want them where looks are considered important (like a show bike) but otherwise what is gained? Even with sticky rubber the stock EX front brake is quite capable of locking the front and pitching you on your head. As for the rear....the tire is barely touching the pavement under hard braking, so the stock rear brake is totally up to the job.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ultimately what determines maximum deceleration G-force at braking limit is traction of front-tyre. While bigger calipers may let you reach that traction-limit with less lever squeeze (more leverage), ultimate braking distance will be exactly same with factory or Brembo calipers.

What you can do to maximise factory brakes is full-service with new seals, stainless-lines and fresh fluid. Semi-metallic pads will also increase friction for same lever-squeeze and ward off fade on track as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts