Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just went through my carbs and cleaned them in ultra sonic cleaner and use a guitar string through all the holes in all the internal parts. I have spent some time adjusting my pilot screws, but for some reason they don’t seem to be getting any better. I still have low power and surges on take off most, if not all problems are below 4000 RPM’s. If I tried to come out the gate hard I would have to have my RPMs way up and release the clutch slowly otherwise it bogs down for about 10 secs. Is there something I’m missing? Could it be something other than the carbs?
Here is a question, how do you know if you have one carb pilot screw set and the other one is not right?
Looking for some suggestions to help me figure this out.
Yes, Fog I have searched this problem and I know there is plenty of talk about it, but I have tried most of the things people have suggested and I’m at a loss for a solution.
Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,261 Posts
confirmed valve clearances? carbs confirmed synched via reputable manometer?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carbs are Synched. Valve adjustments haven't been touched in years, but I have 48k miles on the bike, didn't think I needed to still adjust them. Idk know why I thought that, but I figured once you get some many miles on them they didn't need adjustments. I guess I was just hoping. :)

I originally cleaned the carbs because this problem just started happening out of the blue. I figured the carbs got dirt in them.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
get back to us AFTER your upcoming valve clearance check, ok?

·
Fast Old Guy
20,051 Posts
pilot tunning is easy, after your sure all else is OK simply close one pilot screw complexly then adjust the other for best throttle response. the cost the turn of that screw to close and do the other. then return the fist to the counted turns open. If that docent help you have other problems..
Any difficult problem diagnoses starts with a complete understanding of engine condition.
Starting with a compression check

FOG

Reactions: po18guy

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
have you done a static "wet test" on the float heights yet. it's always worth checking as it can cause running issues if the float heights are different. I found this out a long time ago (now done before the carbs are put back on the bike), but can be easily checked after if not done. only problem then if they are wrong the float bowls have to come off to adjust the floats.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help.
Ducatiman has a good point, I need to adjust the valves first before moving forward.
I have had 2 different carbs in the bike recently that both were cleaned and still had an the issue of bucking and surging. It would be hard to believe both carbs were the cause. That's why I am open to other ideas of what could be wrong. I forgot about closing one pilot screw and setting it that way.... its been a while.
Once I get the valves done I will report back.

Yorkie: I have no idea what you are talking about. Static wet test? If you can explain please do or send a link.
So I guess that will tell you I didn't do it. :)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
+1 on compresion check. That many miles with no valve adjust might very well mean a loss of cranking or idle speed compression. Thus, throttle response and low speed running suffer.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did the valves about 25000 miles ago. I missed doing it 2 times. I didn't realize it needed to be done every 12000 miles no matter how many miles you have on the bike.
I would think if the compression was low it show that it is harder to start. It fires right up when I start it. Just for the sake of getting information and seeing how the motor is doing I will check it.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Gen 2 factory printed maintenance schedule calls for 7500mi between clearance checks
Gen 1 every 6000

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Oops! indeed mine are done every winter regardless of mileage. (why not it's stood for 4 months) ok so sometimes it just need checking with perhaps one or two just out of spec but I have had them way out sometimes after as little as 3k that year.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Normally, I go through my bike every winter to make sure I don't have any break downs during the summer, never even gave the valve clearance a thought. Recently we moved and I haven't touched the bike for about 3 yrs and now that I'm getting back to it. I have added this to part of my winter task for the bike. I'm really annoyed and upset that I haven't been doing that maintenance. but there is nothing I can do about it now except start doing it religiously. I did notice yesterday when I was revving and holding the bike to about 4 or 5000 rpms there was a bit of popping out the exhaust. I was running it to empty the carbs of gas. I'm not sure if there is any tellings there about what is going on, but that is another bit of info.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
hi there is not really any point in going over all of the eccentricities of this bike (you probably know most of them anyways) but once you realise this bike is child of the 80's with 80's technology cobbled together with ideas from other bikes built as cheaply as possibly using existing tooling and parts and some ideas from the 70's, in order to produce a very cheap commuter runabout. you appreciate why so much can go wrong so quickly if the basics are not accounted for.

personally I doubt if even Kawasaki thought some of these bikes would last as long as they have, a testament to dedicated owners determined to keep them on the road.
it was supposed to be a daily runabout used every day not left standing for long periods or neglected without the periodical maintenance being done, either of these are a bike killer for the EX, just read where most of the forum issues come from nearly every case fits this scenario, run it regular and keep up to the maintenance once fixed and it will last a long time.

as for the popping when running down the fuel levels I would suggest this is normal under the circumstances as when the fuel gets lower it changes the mixture going to the engine, however it could be a sign of needing either the adjustments doing or in the worst case a head refurb if the valves have been burned/clogged up due to the valve adjustments being way out allowing the valves not to close properly, but you will only know for sure when you have checked them and seen how far out they are if there is a gap (or sorts) you may get away with this if the compressions are good.

• Love
Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI: I got the bike all pulled apart and the cover off the motor, just need to remove the oil lines. Then I'm ready to set the valves but I have run out of time. Everything is all covered up or plugged I will get back to it in a week after camping with the family. Spark plugs look really good. I will post up pics and let everyone know how bad the valves were off when I get back to it. Thx for all your help so far.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey fellas, My finding were the valves had no clearance. I have reset them to the right setting and took the bike for a test ride finally. Weather here has been a pain for riding.
The bike ran flawlessly no bucking or hick ups. It did sound like a loud sewing machine more than I remember. :) I don't see of hear any signs of motor damage...fingers crossed.
Thanks for everyone's help in getting the matter resolved. As I hold up my right and swear, to not go so long as I did without adjusting the valves. :D
At least the carbs are clean and adjusted now as well.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Bet you're glad you checked, eh? Just think of how many folks deny doing it.....and the results of out and out denial. Just how many EX's get permanently "put behind the garage" due to valves with zero clearance? I'll submit .....quite a few actually.

Good on ya' @dutch724

1 - 20 of 39 Posts