Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I agree, Its is a shame. It happens to cars and lawn mowers as well. Most people now a days don't have any tools.
Yes, I'm glad I did it and I'm glad I had you guys to help me figure this out.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,261 Posts
I'm actually sensing yet another members reluctance/denial in a posted "hard starting" situation, but really hope i'm wrong. Yup, denial is alive and well. /sarc

• Haha
Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
coolant or fuel?

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
in other words....you failed to use adequate amount of RTV on the half moons of the valve cover gasket as instructed in the How-To.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No, I never use rtv on that Gasket. The motor was running. I hit 9000 rpm then all of the sudden I couldn't get over 4000 rpm. I rode it as far as I could before it quit. Then when I was trying to get it to run it back fired and popped that Gasket plug and threw out some oil with it. It sounds like it is trying to run on 1 cylinder. Until it get the cover back off of it I won't know what happened.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I agree with @ducatiman that's why you are supposed to use RTV on those half moons (to keep them in place) although having said that there should never be enough internal pressure in the valve cover to blow them out as the top case is well vented. me thinks you have bigger problems than a leaking gasket.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Oh yeah, a valve issue or worst. When it back fired under the engine cover it blew that half moon out.....I think that is a pressure release of some sort.

·
Registered
133 Posts
in other words....you failed to use adequate amount of RTV on the half moons of the valve cover gasket as instructed in the How-To.
I agree with @ducatiman that's why you are supposed to use RTV on those half moons (to keep them in place) although having said that there should never be enough internal pressure in the valve cover to blow them out as the top case is well vented. me thinks you have bigger problems than a leaking gasket.
over 60k miles and valves checked at 7,500 every time. Have never used the rtv, got a fresh gasket when I did the first one in 2016 at 7k miles, always just made sure everything was clean and seated, torqued, no issues. Would have to agree with @yorkie there are bigger problems causing this issue most likely some kind of internal pressure...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have thought about it. Been too damn hot to tear the bike apart again. I'm thinking maybe valve locking nut came lose on exhaust side which caused me to lose a cylinder. Then once the engine quit and I tried to restart it (with a twist in the throttle) it built up pressure and back fired under engine cover and the pressure released at the weakest link.... the half moons because I have the pair delete which would have been the normal route the pressure would have gone. That is what I'm thinking is wrong.
I don't think there is any internal engine damage because I got it to start, not idle, to get it up a hill to load it on the trailer.
Please stand by for more info and pictures. I'm on the edge of my seat to hear about how much of a dumba$$ I am when I post my findings. 😁
Of course I like to hear everyone thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Of course I like to hear everyone thoughts on this.
a lot of 4 strokes have a cam cover vent (usually connected to the air filter box) the EX doesn't because there is a big void between the cylinder where the cam chain runs to vent it to the crankcase, this in turn is vented via the Hockey stick rubber to the airbox which in turn is run at a slight vacuum to suck it into the box, and then back into the induction.
so for the pressure to be so great it blows the halfmoon out the pressure has to have been considerably more than it could vent normally down the normal route. this suggests to me pressure leaking from somewhere else like the combustion chamber or a blocked vent to the airbox.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ok, fellas.
I have taken it apart and found the issue. Here are pics for u to figure it out.
I don't see any damage, but I don't know where that little chuck of steel came from. Any ideas?
Light Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part

Neck Textile Sleeve Grey Collar

Light Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive wheel system Engineering

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
looks like a valve collet, no?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
yes it's a valve collet there are two per valve to hold the spring in place how do you fix it. only one way I know of strip down top end, head off inspect for damage if none found replace and rebuild the top end you will of course have to lap the head and barrels so the cylinders have to come off also big job in total.
ps your lucky it was the outside valve been a inside one chances are the bits would have gone down the cam chain hole and wrecked the engine.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
if it is a collet, a head pull and removal/examination of each valve called for. You will need a valve spring compressor as well as replacement collet(s)

Very possible the valve "cutaway" is damaged on the specific valve as its not at all normal for this to happen. AKA "dropping a valve".

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sounds like I will be looking for a donor motor. I have no idea how to go that deep into a bike motor. Besides it has almost 50k on the motor. Not sure it worth all that work and money.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts