Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey it's been a while since I have heard any hilarious arguments against countersteering...anybody got any? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I find it to be more the 15-20mph area. I also don't think that you countersteer with a sidecar. Other than that I'm drawing nothing.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no I totally agree it's the only way to really control a motorcycle (see no BS bike) but I've read some pretty funny stuff on other forums (mostly old harley guys who think they can just lean their bikes to steer)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
Ummmmmm, you can just lean your bike to steer, try standing on your pegs and putting all your weight on one peg, I bet the bike will turn to the side a bit.

Although I will admit that you really cant get the most out of the bike unless you do actually counter steer so its kind of a moot point
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
derf said:
Ummmmmm, you can just lean your bike to steer, try standing on your pegs and putting all your weight on one peg, I bet the bike will turn to the side a bit.

Although I will admit that you really cant get the most out of the bike unless you do actually counter steer so its kind of a moot point
Take your hands off the bars and try leaning to steer. It'll turn, but only just barely. If you want to take a corner you're going to have to counter steer. I'd call it barely getting anything out of it.. not just "not the most". However, weighting the pegs will greatly assist in the responsiveness of the bike when countersteering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
That's quite neat to see, but did he actually place a set of grips on top of the windscreen? :eek: ;D
I'm pretty impressed with how stable the bike is when he's jerkin' it back and forth though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
Lacessit said:
derf said:
Ummmmmm, you can just lean your bike to steer, try standing on your pegs and putting all your weight on one peg, I bet the bike will turn to the side a bit.

Although I will admit that you really cant get the most out of the bike unless you do actually counter steer so its kind of a moot point
Take your hands off the bars and try leaning to steer. It'll turn, but only just barely. If you want to take a corner you're going to have to counter steer. I'd call it barely getting anything out of it.. not just "not the most". However, weighting the pegs will greatly assist in the responsiveness of the bike when countersteering.
That video shows perfectly that you can turn without countersteering, it just doesnt work well. The harley guys that say that they can turn the bike without countersteering just countersteer without realizing it so they talk smack without knowing what they are talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
I remember there was one person in my BRT class who just couldn't grasp the concept of countersteering. The instructor said something like this to her; "Just do it, even if you don't think its going to work, hundreds of thousands of motorcycle riders can't all be wrong!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
really, I've tried NOT using countersteering, and above 25mph, it just doesnt work if you asked me. countersteering seems to be THE ONLY way to make full use of your bike's handling potential.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That video shows perfectly that you can turn without countersteering, it just doesnt work well.
I wouldn't really call that turning. Yeah you can drift slightly by shifting weight, but you could never make it around any significant curve like that.

I agree with your point about Harley guys jsut not knowing they are doing it. I've heard that even while riding a bicycle we all countersteer, it's just that the ratio of body weight to bike weight is so different that you can hardly tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,567 Posts
derf said:
The harley guys that say that they can turn the bike without countersteering just countersteer without realizing it so they talk smack without knowing what they are talking about.
They are too busy saving lives with their loud pipes to bother with the minutia of countersteering. Saving lives, two pipes at a time. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Countersteering works. If someone doesn't belive you, tell them to try this: When you are going straight, turn your handlebars slightly to the left, as if you were steering a car, you will feel the bike lean over to the right (I said /slightly/, don't dump the bike or hit the curb). Turn the handlebars a bit to the left and you will feel the bike lean to the right.

I've even been able to countersteer my bicycle when I was going about 20mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
I swore I wouldn't grace this absurd topic with a responce but.

Keith Code welded the steering head and fitted a bike with outriggers and challenged anybody to make it turn without countersteering. All efforts at weight shift/peg loading failed utterly and completely.

Nuff Said.

FOG
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I swore I wouldn't grace this absurd topic with a responce but.

Keith Code welded the steering head and fitted a bike with outriggers and challenged anybody to make it turn without countersteering. All efforts at weight shift/peg loading failed utterly and completely.

Nuff Said.

FOG
Don't be so quick to act like you're above everybody else man. I already posted the Keith Code video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
Then why does the thread even exist?

FOG
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For fun? Learning? It is under the General Discussion forum is it not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
OK I'll give you that. Considering the naivete' of the populace around here I like to be sure that the correct info is at least be available to them. Weather they can understand it or not.

FOG
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top