1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
That looks a little like the one i bought from new enough. CoverMax was the brand i got, and it's held up PHENOMENALLY.

http://www.newenoughhp.com/covermax_deluxe_outdoor_motorcycle_cover_page.htm

It looks like that between the two (Both sizes being med.) that it's a toss up. both are the same price and feature the same.... um... features... only the CoverMax is black. the one thing i DON'T see on the Aqua-Plush cover is a belly strap so that it is wrapped around the under of the bike so that it doesn't flap around. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, only that i don't see it in the advertisement photo. I'm not sure if you saw my thread on EX500Riders.com or not, but the cover did act much like a sail one day and toppled my bike right over even after someone had said that it wouldn't and i said BS... well open foot, insert foot, it did. if you've got wind protection, pay no mind to it, otherwise try to face the bike INTO the wind. It's much harder to blow it backwards than push it over (and into someone's car).

otherwise, it's held up against some pretty unforgiving conditions. If i had a complaint it would be that it doesn't have a frame so water doesn't pool up in the middle of your bike and your hand gets all wet. minor inconvenience, i know, but it's it's just something i'd rather not have to deal with after a rainstorm. I'd think most (if not all) covers are like this and that i might as well be wishing for the moon and the stars, but **** it it sure would be nice. i know there's a handy platform you can anchor to the ground and folds up over your bike (like a tent) and locks up tight, but it's also like 400 bux so meh...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I DO remember that thread!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
My $0.02. Don't cheap out, whatever you do. I went to a local warehouse store and they had some off brand of cover that visually looked the same as every other cover I'd ever seen, and it was about $20. It did okay in the rain and wind. Not perfect, but $20 worth. We had some really bad storms while I was using it, so I guess it did well. The downside was the materials. It had some padding stuff inside that was supposed to protect the bike. For some reason or another the stuff disintegrated and I was cleaning bits of fabric and powder out of my bike for weeks after - nasty stuff.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm - smithmax's first link looks pretty much like the one I posted, but slightly cheaper, especially if I don't have to pay shipping (which is this case, I think, if I order it to pick up at the store.)
Anyone know it? (dowco weatherall cover)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
That Dowco looks like a nice one. The aluminized heat shields is a big plus, as long as they protect the cover from the heat on your bike. Neither of my covers have it and I have to wait a while and go back out to put the cover on, which is a big pain with my memory. Dowco is also a name I've heard, not that I've had any personal experience with them.

All this talk makes me appreciate my garage a little more than before.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
I keep all my bikes covered up inside my garage ::) So I use one of those $20 covers from Wally World .
Don't be surprised if that baby disintegrates like mine did (as much as I hate to admit I gave them money I got my cover there too, but it was a bit of an emergency at the time so I gave in). I'm sure the wind and rain made a difference with mine so you may never have the first problem, but it's the felt pieces inside that disintegrated into powder and made such a mess.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to post up earlier..
I ended up getting the Dowco cover that was on half off sale at cyclegear. I'm perfectly happy with it. I started with a Large, at Cycle Gear's recommendation, but with the Givi topcase it was too small. I exchanged up for an XL - still the topcase makes it fit funny - much lower on the front wheel than the rear, but close enough. Maybe an XXL would be better, but hardly seems worth the trouble.

I did run into a funny complication, though. One night my disc lock alarm went off in the middle of the night. I was up and at the door in a flash (the bike is right outside my bedroom, in the fenced in back yard, and there's a door from my bedroom to the back). I could only guess that the wind was blowing the cover and set off the alarm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts