Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured to post this so you have a better understanding of what's going on in our country compared to the world.

So, basically, until we 1) have enough hospital beds, 2) Create a vaccine or, 3) the summer weather kills/slows the spread exponentially we can do one of a few things in the USA.

READ the article carefully and watch every one of these simulations. The US is depending on one, the U.K. has been doing another and China did yet another.

As you view the simulators, make sure to watch the curve over time (above the dots).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I read it with interest, since I have a target on my back; a Corona magnet implanted in me. I am currently having no contact outside of immediate family in the home, and it will probably remain this way for the better part of this year. Knowing how it is spread will help flatten that curve. I have been watching the great and very informative videos of British Dr. John Campbell on YouTube. He updates daily and is a wealth of contemporary information.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I put my house on voluntary lock down on Sunday. My daughters school closed down until further notice Sunday afternoon. Hubby is refusing to stay home from work, but he works by himself for the most part. I'm really hoping warmer weather kills it off. I don't want to be locked up halfway through summer. That would suck. Just had our first confirmed case in our county yesterday. But they haven't released any details yet. Supposed to this morning. But as usual they are late with the conference. I'll just be spending time cleaning house, and building my aircraft models. Same thing I do all winter long.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Just witnessed toilet paper hoarding firsthand. Guy comes out of store, cart filled with it....opens back of SUV *already filled* with it......and I mean FILLED.
Obviously going from store to store. This truly a disease all unto its own.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just witnessed toilet paper hoarding firsthand. Guy comes out of store, cart filled with it....opens back of SUV *already filled* with it......and I mean FILLED.

I would have taken pictures and said something to him. Assholes like that have made it extremely difficult for those that actually need just a little. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Undeniably an obnoxious habit, but i prefer to keep my mouth shut, move on and tend to my own business.

Then return home and vent my displeasure by posting on my favorite motorcycle forum instead. :grin2:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yup, a couple in my neck of the woods went down to the local supermarket and proceeded to load the entire meat section into their shopping carts. There wasn't so much as a package of hamburger left in the cooler. Some people are just natural born assholes. Grrrrrr!

I know it would be a lot to ask of the cashiers, but people like that shouldn't be allowed through the checkout line and security should be called in to deal with the idiots. (Trouble is, by that point they've got their grubby paw prints on every single package.) As the situation develops, I wouldn't be surprised if buying limits were imposed to put a stop to insanity like this. Or maybe just simply ban them from ever entering the store again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The governor said the National Guard may be called up for food distribution purposes...ugh, mean people sux!

·
Registered
530 Posts
you guys are probably better off than we are in the UK. as a lot of the population is spread out. and your well behind us in the time line. it's chaos here even though we have today only 1400 cases and 100 deaths. out of a population of 73 million but it's still very hard.
we are 2 to 3 weeks behind the rest of Europe. that is in shut down. but seeing as 60% of our imports are from there shortages are already beginning to bite and it's going to get a lot worse.

they have told us it will be months before we know the full extent and at least 6 to 8 months before normality resumes but we will probably all die of starvation if the coronavirus does not get us first. nothing is running everything shut down no work jobs lost shops closed. brace yourselves guys it's coming to a town near you soon. god bless you all it's too late for us. stock up and keep away from crowds.

if I stop posting in the next couple of weeks you will know it's got us. whatever happens it will take years to recover economically from this the countries already 3 trillion poorer in just 4 weeks. if we have a country left by summer I will be surprised. but I always was a pessimist. LOL.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you guys are probably better off than we are in the UK. as a lot of the population is spread out. and your well behind us in the time line. it's chaos here even though we have today only 1400 cases and 100 deaths. out of a population of 73 million but it's still very hard...

Yorkie, like the article I posted was discussing, the UK did things differently than the US did, and I almost think that was by design. Different countries doing different things to see what's more effective...for the next virus.

That said, unfortunately, the United States (as mentioned by others above) has become such a "give me NOW, all about ME" mindset that we're not going to stand for what Europe generally puts up with. NOT BASHING ANYONE, just saying that Europe has such a history of overcoming as they've suffered so much. Americans, besides the great depression and maybe the gas shortage, never really had to hunker down and deal with something like this.

But, just came out today is that the average age for contracting the virus is currently at 63 years old and the average death age is 85. So it's appearing that most relatively healthy people that get it will just go through typical flu symptoms before the body fights it off.

Again, the mass shut downs are due to governments not being prepared for the mass number of people all at once. In other words, I think the fear that "we get it, we die" is in the back of people's minds but, thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case.

And keep us posted on how you and your's are doing! We worry across the pond! :wink2:

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I'll never pay for toilet paper again.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just came back from the local gas station. The owner is selling the industrial TP and paper towels, like the ones in the video above and the kind they put in schools. He said he's sold a good portion so far because people are running out!

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
See, this what I don't understand about the TP hoarding. COVID-19 is a RESPIRATORY disease. I don't know how that translates to having a need for a ton of TP. It isn't like once infected, the victim is going to suddenly have a violent case of explosive diarrhea or the runs.

We've gone through the same here....and today, I figured I'd better go get another bottle of vitamin C and guess what? Nothing but empty shelves. Every single brand was completely and 100% out. At least that makes a some sense.

I don't know how it is anywhere else, but all of out local stores are limiting TP to one pack per family, bread to one loaf per family, meats to 2 per family etc.

I ran into an aircrew member I know at the store today, and we discussed the same....then he told me that apparently this idiocy has made it's way into guns now too. He was asking why, so I said, to guard all the TP investments.

Never seen anything like this ever. Not even in FLA after a hurricane....sean

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Undeniably an obnoxious habit, but i prefer to keep my mouth shut, move on and tend to my own business.
Probably for the best too. You never know what kind of crazy you'll run upon.

Also, there are several scenarios that I can think of, that don't involve anything malicious. I mean, what if the guy works at some sort a senior care facility with a bunch of incontinent residents?

Those of us seeing what we perceive as "hoarding" could actually be some poor sap out on a supply run. I'm not saying that's a likely explanation....but it is a reasonably possible one. :grin2:

Or what if he's about to embark on a several months long boat voyage to....I dunno, the Bahamas or some such place. He might actually need that much TP to sustain his boat trip. Not at all likely, but still a reasonable possibility. :grin2:

Then again, he could be some a$$hole who thinks he can turn a profit if he buys up all the TP he can find. Most online places I know of out here have already stated that if any such ad pops up, selling critical supplies the ad will be promptly removed and the individual reported to prevent any future attempts to profiteer from a social emergency.

Stores here are also putting up signs that they are not accepting returns on TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer or disinfectant. If you bought it, now you're stuck with it.......sean

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably for the best too. You never know what kind of crazy you'll run upon.

I'm generally like that too. But there are times that I don't care if I get it wrong. Because if I do I'll be the first to apologize.

But considering what we're going through right now, and where I live - old, retired people, many who live within their meager means from social security - if I see some younger (20-40 year old) with a cart full or car full of TP then I'm going to be "that *******" who says something.

People hording these basic necessities have really burdened others. I mean, think about it. Because they took so much in such a short time period, they've not only deprived others...but have deprived MANY for a long time!!! They have also started a trend where when the shelves do get restocked single people are going to ALSO grab as much as they can, thus making the problem even worse!

So, yeah, I will be "that *******" that says something. I'm not trying to be self-righteous. I'm a single guy with no kids. So I don't horde things or buy in bulk. I buy what I need. (Unless it's motorcycle stuff...then I might overload! >:) )

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, basically, until we 1) have enough hospital beds, 2) Create a vaccine or, 3) the summer weather kills/slows the spread exponentially we can do one of a few things in the USA.
I hope they develop a treatment. My brother is prepping 19K doses of Hydroxychloroquine and Placebos for university of Washington, I hope the study goes well. This is a week ago, I guess its fast tracked now but they gotta check for efficacy.

I dont know if weather will have an effect, there are two hemispheres so winter here but summer down south so.. Its still spreading.

Yeah its kinda nutty here too, I work for the city and I have to mention on my reports we are taking covid19 precautions. Lol, I just clock in at a shop on the other side of town just do I dont have to get close to my coworkers. hahah.

Be safe out there.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Here is yet another thing I’m not understanding. After a brief bit of research I found there are 5 different Corona Viruses that can infect humans. There are more, but just 5 that can infect humans.

Amid this world wide panic about a pandemic, no one has yet addressed the possibility that there is more than one of them affecting different populations. If there were 3 different virus strains affecting three different populations, the possibility exists that there will not be a single vaccine for all.

Also, after a further brief bit of research, the Center for Disease Control website states that there have been an estimated 23K to 59K deaths from the flu since 1 October last year. Just in the US. IOW, many more than from COVID-19.

There was no panic over that statistic anywhere in the world. So why the hysteria over COVID-19? If you look at the statistics from around the world, even the infection stats don’t begin to approach the flu statistics. On the very same page where I found the fatality information it states there have been an estimated 38M to 54M cases of the flu in the US alone.

By comparison, there have been nearly 250K cases of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the entire world. I hate to state the obvious, but what the hell are we panicking over COVID-19 for?

Then there’s the whole lack of testing here. We see a high number of cases in Italy, but we have not run nearly the number of tests on the population in the US. Not even close. The US has just 14.5K confirmed cases or .00036% of the average number of flu cases. My guess is our numbers are artificially low because of the lack of testing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By comparison, there have been nearly 250K cases of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the entire world. I hate to state the obvious, but what the hell are we panicking over COVID-19 for?

Again, I don't think it's the virus' outcomes on a person(s) that they are worried about, it's the AMOUNT of people getting sick ALL AT ONE TIME that raises the concerns.

Watch the first few minutes of Shapiro and he explains...or asks of the government...what the exact plan is? He makes some good arguments.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbenshapiro/videos/2822260287827260/?notif_id=1584727660062219&notif_t=live_video

1 - 20 of 31 Posts