Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. What are you doing to entertain yourselves now that there is A) no motorcycle racing to watch, B) No "sports" to watch and C) No place to go because they're all shut down?

The latter 2 I could give as many craps about but motorcycle racing is my one true spectator passion. Luckily, I have both a MotoGP and a WSBK subscription to keep my motorcycle Jones at bay. I've been watching older "classic" races from bygone eras. Truly good racing from the time before electronic wizardry.

For instance, I watched a number 500 Grands Prix from the Doohan, Rainey Schwantz, Gardiner, Lawson and Kocinski days. Back when GP racing meant 500cc 2 strokes that would fling a rider to the sky if they weren't experts at throttle control. One, the British GP at Donnington in 1994 happened to be both the last GP Kevin Schwantz ever won, but also my first GP in the "flesh".

After exhausting all of the 2 stroke era races I could find, that I actually wanted to watch, I moved on to WSBK. I was not disappointed in any way, shape or form. In fact, the last race I watched was Misano 2004, race 2. What a race. It rained just before the race, and then didn't rain anymore during the race. That meant riders racing on a drying track with intermediate tires. Anyone's ball game at that point.

Pier Francesco Chili was aboard the PSG1 Ducati 998 while every other Ducati rider was aboard a 999. I always loved that Chili rode the 999 and decided he was faster aboard the 998. So, he had a 999 engine fit to his 998. In this particular race, he got off the line in 2nd but was shuffled back through the pack to 11th.

While he was being shuffled back, Regis Laconi was building a lead that was nearing 12 seconds when Chili got on his horse and charged through the field. He was cutting laps 2-3 seconds faster than anyone else on track. Including Laconi. When arrived in 2nd, Laconi had around 11 seconds lead, and there were 10 laps remaining.

That sets up what is one of the most memorable wet races I've ever seen. Chili hunts down Laconi, passing him on the last lap before gapping him and winning the race by roughly half a second. No one crashed out of a position ahead of Chili to hand him a position, he worked his way up from 11th the hard way. He passed a who's who of SBK stars on his way to the front too. Corser, Toseland, Muggerige, Haga....etc.

Anyway, watching that race really put me in a good mood. Yeah, it was an old race and yeah, I kinda knew the outcome before watching it but damn, it was still a great race. Possibly the best wet ride I've ever seen. Really soothed that motorcycle Jones too. I can wait for the season to resume if I get to watch more races like that one.......sean

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well, we "start" school again tomorrow. Although I've already been posting lessons online tomorrow is "officially" the beginning of eLearning (learn that word as I'm sure it'll be officially added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary by this time next year!).

Our district has issued any and all laptops to families. Yet, even with that, out of 120 students on my roster I have only 30 that have reported in. Sure, there are circumstances that may leave a few out but I'm here to tell ya - THIS is how parents are today!!! And of course, the ones that checked in already are the ones that have been great students all along. The ones that need the education more than any other are the ones that are sitting at home waiting for that stimulus check!

Anyway...I have to tell you, planning online lessons is insane!!! We're not really wanting to overwhelm the kids with a ton of work but knowing how low most of their reading levels are makes things very difficult. (I teach 6th Grade World History) And really that's all there is for them to do.

Normally, I'm a pretty animated teacher. I've done dress-up, public speaking with an actual "rostra" that I put together (with Cicero's severed head and hand!), group activities, debates (which the kids LOVE!), cut outs, pictures with masks of ancient Romans, etc... Now, I'm limited to whatever I can find on the internet. Sure, there are a few interactive sites but the kids wind up going off track and start doing things they shouldn't. Plus, I'm not there to guide them in writing and reading. Even the kids say they miss having that teacher right there in front of them! (Wouldn't seem like that on a normal school day!)

So, my hours to be available are from 9-10 am, which means I can do whatever after that...like go for a ride! Or three!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Someone pushed my bike over and bent the bar requiring replacement. Everyone should stay 6ft away from everything! ;)

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another show I’ve found that I quite enjoy is a BBC show called “Time Team” which we never got here in the US. I’ve read it was on PBS at some point or other but I don’t know what season or seasons. Apparently due to the success of the show in the UK, there was a US version of it. Couldn’t say how long it lasted.

Problem is, many shows just don’t make the translation to US television well. All you gotta do is watch the US version of “Top Gear” to understand what I mean. The UK version is highly entertaining while the US one is just dumb. It comes across as the rip off that it is. I dunno if the “Time Team” US version was any good, never saw it.

Either way, it’s available here on Hulu and Amazon Prime. Seasons 1-10 are on Hulu and Prime but Prime also has seasons 11 and 17-20. For some reason we’re missing 12-16 which from what I’ve read about the show, are the best of the entire run. Still, doing an archaeology show for 20 years is a pretty good run. Nothing here lasts that long on TV ex dot for daytime soap opera, select game shows and schlock like Springer and Geraldo.......sean

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you have Netflix and want a college-humor series that's funny as all get-up I suggest watching, "Trailer Park Boys"!

OMG, I started watching this after I discovered Alex Lifeson from Rush did a couple of cameos (they kidnap him!). I haven't laughed that hard since I was in college...and South Park came out. (We would get loaded up and watch South Park every Sunday night with my college buddies!)

Anyway, "Trailer Park Boys" is about 3 Canadians in a trailer park. They've grown up together and are a bunch of idiots...that you wind up loving! There's a drunk park manager they're always fighting with, a white "Rapper" who thinks he's black, an assistant park manager who runs around without a shirt on...

If you're interested I advise to watch the first few episodes and give it a chance. There are 12 seasons and I have watched them all...TWICE!!! Each episode is only about 25 minutes long.

***They also did a movie and 3-4 stand up road shows so DON'T watch them first!!! The SEASON is what you want to start with.

Let me just add, there are parts in some episodes where I was laughing so freakin' hard I, literally, couldn't breathe!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have Netflix and want a college-humor series that's funny as all get-up I suggest watching, "Trailer Park Boys"!
Let me just add, there are parts in some episodes where I was laughing so freakin' hard I, literally, couldn't breathe!!!
TPB has been running for awhile now.. and I swear on my grandma this is true. I got sick from the flu real bad 2014 ish?. I thought it could ride it out but I was stuck in bed for about 6 days. I watched all the seasons back then. It was the only thing keeping me from loosing it. I finally went to the doc, had a few xrays and they said I was starting to get pneumonia. They were pointing to these dark spots on my lungs in the x rays.

Lucky it worked out. couple of shots some steroids.. and an inhaler. Good to go.

Yep I love that show. Bubbles and the kitties!. Too funny!.. And I gotta admit bubbles got me back into playing guitar. Liquor and Whores!.

I guess I like trashy Canadian humor. Thats why I suggest Letterkenny.

·
Registered
745 Posts
And I gotta admit bubbles got me back into playing guitar, Liquor and Whores!.

I fixed that sentence for you!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

And the "Ricky-isms"...hahaha!!! "Get two birds stoned at once!", "Beauty is on the eye of when you hold her.", "Split it 50/50/50.", "Peach and cake."...hahaha!!!

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My kid watches both Letterkenny and TPB. I have a hard time even listening to either. Just my taste in comedy doesn't lean towards the "awkward" comedy styles of many of today's shows.

Southpark is a favorite of mine, mostly because it's just a cartoon, but I've been fan for over 20 years now. We were watching it when I deployed to the middle east in 1999. While that's 4 months of my life I'll never get back, at least South Park made the time a little more tolerable.

Brit Coms are more my style....I guess because the humor is more on the ironic side and some of it, you absolutely have to think about as it isn't in your face. Black Adder, Mr Bean....I used to be able to get into Are You Being Served and Absolutely Fabulous too. Not so much now.

These days, I watch more stand up than comedy shows. Eliza Schlessinger, Mark Maron...Bill Burr...Jeselnik.....Jim Jeffries...those are about it for modern stand up. Classics though, I'll always love those. Carlin especially.

I found out this week that the seasons/episodes of Time Team that aren't on Hulu or Amazon Prime are apparently on Youtube now...already know what I'll be checking out this weekend. That and any new classic races that are added to MotoGP and SBK dot com. Supposed to piss down all weekend too. Hoping I can get some work done in the garage but it ain't looking good.......sean

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had a week off work and I've got at least two more weeks to go.
I have done some pretty mundane jobs around the house and watched a lot of TV.
I ventured into the garage to tinker around with the EX, ended up taking a whole lot longer than I anticipated.
I am planning a ride during the week when I have to collect some 'essential supplies'... We're not supposed to go out of our homes unless it is essential and 'going for a ride before I go stir crazy' isn't essential... Really?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weather was gorgeous yesterday afternoon. Went out for a 12 mile pedal before dinner. Felt so good to be out. There were a ton of people out too, some walking with their kids, some bicycling like me. Saw around 5 or 6 Harley riders out. Glad I got out yesterday....been sprinkling off and on all morning. No downpour, just enough to get everything wet.

I watched some Time Team and did laundry between breakfast and lunch. About all I've accomplished today though. Going out to the garage in a few minutes to see what I can get done before dinner. I haven't been able to stay home virtually at all, due to my job entails me actually being there. IOW, I can't work from home or "tele-work" as it's called. There were a couple of days a week or so back that I stayed home for a couple of days but that was it.

As such, I've not gotten bored at all, but then again, I haven't gotten anything done either. I kinda envy everyone who's gotten to stay home and take care of their own personal "honey do" lists, as well as their own projects. Unless the Air Force stops flying, I'll be working. At least I enjoy what I do so it isn't like a distressing thought....sean

·
Registered
745 Posts
As such, I've not gotten bored at all, but then again, I haven't gotten anything done either. I kinda envy everyone who's gotten to stay home and take care of their own personal "honey do" lists, as well as their own projects. Unless the Air Force stops flying, I'll be working. At least I enjoy what I do so it isn't like a distressing thought....sean
Not everything is "normal"!

As a teacher I've been sitting my ass in a chair all day long as we're supposed to be available all day long for students. This eLearning has been a disaster...teachers came in with a mindset that it is business as usual. Parents started calling, not mad, but just overwhelmed. Some have 3 kids with only one computer in the house!!! All lessons are on-line and many of us teachers never thought about what was going on at homes.
I started loading up my trash cans figuring I could start getting rid of a ton of junk I've accumulated over the past few years. I took 3 trash bags down to the dump (and that was just a start!!!) and was informed ONLY 2 BAGS A WEEK is allowed! Heck, I planned on having about 10 more bags - plus my normal trash. So much for that!

Point is, sure you can get some fixer upper's done around the house but because of all these stipulations many things are just not possible!

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found a really interesting motorcycle movie that some might find interesting as well. Particularly if you're in lock down and not doing anything all day. It's called Love, Speed and Loss and is about Kiwi Kim Newcombe and his one man GP campaign on a bike he essentially built and maintained himself between races. Here's the youtube trailer:

Anyway, as a movie in a documentary style, it has epic footage from the Grand Prix circuits back in the 1970s as well as home movies shot by Kim's wife Janeen. It even has interviews with his son, who is seen as a child in many of the home movie segments. All in all, a tragic tale that is well told and well supported with video segments from the time as well as interviews with those who were there....Oh, BTW, I found it for free on either Amazon Prime or Netflix....I can't remember which....might have been Tubi as well.

It is well worth the hour plus out your day to watch........sean

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Watched another documentary style “movie” last night on Amazon Prime. This one was called The Slimey Crud Cafe Run

Any Peter Egan fan would know vaguely that he’s a member of the Slimey Cruds as he’s written of them fairly consistently over the years in Cycle World.

He’s also written about the Cafe Run on occasion. Thus I was interested to see what the movie was like. It did include him and the founding members of the Slimey Cruds as well some newer members. It tells the story of how the run started and has interviews with a number of members, including Peter Egan himself.

It’s a little bit older, circa 2009 and is only mildly entertaining. The interviews with the original members and Egan are cool and worth watching. Same for the stories about how the “gang” formed.

The rest.....not so much. The views of the sweeping corners of Wisconsin’s back roads, okay; that was cool. Listening to the 2 amateur guys trying to build “Cafe racers” not so much.

All in all, mildly interesting not real entertaining. I should caveat that with the fact that I’m a huge Peter Egan fan. Anyway, you can find it on Amazon Prime if you’re interested. Might find it on YouTube also....maybe

·
Registered
745 Posts
How about a Top 5 list of movies that are old(er) but by listing them may strike a chord in others to watch?

I'll add my 5 good ones:

1. Platoon (One of my all-time favorites!)
2. Inglourious Basterds (Brad Pitt is at his best in this one!)
3. Blade - 1,2, or 3 (Great, butt-kicking vampire series)
4. Sicario (AWESOME, AWESOME B-movie!)
5. What Dreams May Come (Robin Williams in a psychedelic-type, hit ya in the heartstrings movie)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts