Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm not a big movie watcher. Documentaries not in the same category. Back when I was younger, I went to see Platoon in the theater. Now, I was very near or on a military installation when the movie came out. The thing was, when I saw Platoon, there were still Vietnam Vets on active duty, albeit at the tail end of their careers.

The most poignant moments in Platoon to me, were the moments when the Vets I knew, got up and walked out because the movie brought back too many flashbacks of their time "in country". My pops, a Vietnam Vet himself actually refused to go see the movie. He was a radio operator in combat. He went over a private first class and came home a Staff Sergeant. Because all the NCO radio operators in his unit were KIA.

He never talked much about his time there. I know he had flashbacks for years after he came home. He was there for TET '66. To this day, he doesn't talk much about it. Unless it was "combat funny". He told me a story about leaving the shitter in the middle of the night and a mortar round landing in it when he was steps from his hooch.

Today I found a couple more motorcycle related documentaries on Amazon Prime. Kenny Roberts "Champion" and Barry Sheen "Champion" Both are broadcasts of Duke Videos which I actually own on VHS. They're short but concise accounts of their careers and include a great deal of footage from the 500 Grands Prix of the era, as well as interviews both from the period and current while the video was being compiled. If you're in need of a motorcycle fix.....you could do worse than these two videos........seabn

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have those on DVD, plus a few others. I may have to watch them again now you've mentioned it.
I did see a short clip on you tube about John Britten which is worth watching
It may soon be time to watch the whole series of Long Way Round with Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor... again!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm not a big movie watcher. Documentaries not in the same category. Back when I was younger, I went to see Platoon in the theater. Now, I was very near or on a military installation when the movie came out. The thing was, when I saw Platoon, there were still Vietnam Vets on active duty, albeit at the tail end of their careers.
I was 16 when I had my sister (17) and my dad, Vietnam vet, see the movie together in the theater. My dad was reluctant, but because I was such a Vietnam history freak he went.
I'll never forget walking out of the movie afterwards. My father didn't say a word. I said, Dad, what did you think?". He said, "He (Oliver Stone) got that about right.".
He never said anything about it after that, and I never asked.
A few years later I went to the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in D.C. Dad wouldn't go. He did ask me to look for a name, which I found. I made an etch of it on a piece of paper for him. When I gave it to him...that's when I understood why he wasn't ready to go see the monument yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
Don't have to quarantine if you use common sense.
20200409_165819.jpg

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
How about a Top 5 list of movies that are old(er) but by listing them may strike a chord in others to watch?
My Top 5

1. The Song Remains The Same (obviously)
2. The Godfather (The original, NOT part 2 or part 3)
3. Deep Throat (The 70's sci fi classic, NOT the Watergate documentary)
4. The Wizard Of Oz (Turn the volume down and cue Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon)
5. The Devils Advocate ( really you cant go wrong with Al Pacino)

LIST OF MOVIES TO NOT WATCH
1. Outbreak
2.Carriers
3.Cabin Fever
4.Contagion
5.Where have all the people gone

·
Registered
352 Posts

Today I found a couple more motorcycle related documentaries on Amazon Prime. Kenny Roberts "Champion" and Barry Sheen "Champion" Both are broadcasts of Duke Videos which I actually own on VHS. They're short but concise accounts of their careers and include a great deal of footage from the 500 Grands Prix of the era, as well as interviews both from the period and current while the video was being compiled. If you're in need of a motorcycle fix.....you could do worse than these two videos........seabn
Watched the Barry Sheene documentary on Amazon last night. A neat transport back to different times. All the kids growing up at the time had 'Bazza' as a folk hero for going fast.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Watched the Barry Sheene documentary on Amazon last night. A neat transport back to different times. All the kids growing up at the time had 'Bazza' as a folk hero for going fast.
Even in the mid 90s when I lived in the UK, if you got done for speeding on a bike, the cop would ask "who do you think you are then, Barry Sheene?"

·
Banned
4,959 Posts
I dont know if you can get "new tricks" on stream or if it has been shown that side of the pond, but it's a drama with a sense of humor that would probably appeal to you Sean.
You do need to watch the first episode first though, just to get a feel for what it's all comes about. Allan Armstrong who plays Brian is a brilliant actor who plays a hard part to pull of with sucses. There are episodes on you tube but not all. It was a series I made a point of not missing....appeals to my warped sense of humor, and has some good story lines.
This is the first episode....for some reason it's in 2 parts,

Another thing I've been doing is reminding myself of great rides at the TT.....some of you know I'm a fan, and I'd booked to go this year on my little old Velocette, just for laughs....but it's cancelled so I've been getting my fill with the numerous on board footage on you tube.
There are lot's of good ones, but this is my vote for best of the best....Dunlop and Martin leaving the pit's for lap 3...seventeen and a half minutes of riding excellence,

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the video's Jonh. I'd like to now share one as well. I've been looking around on youtube for videos of Ducati restorations, because of resto-modding one. Anyway, I found this short video today of a chap who is starting up his 900 Superlight for the first time since rebuild. It's hilarious as a short way in, he revs up the engine and the clutch slave cylinder just falls off. I started laughing, and laughed ever harder as he never notices.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Another video for you guys. I have a very personal connection to this video. The guy in it with Jay is my buddy Mike. I've written about him and his collection of seriously desirable cars here before. He's a good dude and a good friend. He helped me out with my college thesis paper, giving me pointers on editing and maintaining flow and relevance.

I actually met him by working on one of his many VW Sciroccos and his wife's race car. He'd told me he met Jay and had gone down and spent a day with him shooting for his series but until today, I hadn't seen the episode. Anyway, here is the video:

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Watched this last night. Really good episode of Leno's Garage

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here's a new one I watched recently. If you're a warbird buff, or history buff or aviation buff there are some great first person accounts in this video. As an aviator, my favorite part is the guy who had the mid air collision and spent 10 days behind enemy lines. Surviving in the jungle before getting himself picked up by a PBY. If you let it play on, past the end of the documentary, there is a bonus where he goes into more detail about his experience.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You gotta watch this! I saw the "trailer" and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had to watch. When I did, I wound up laughing my ass off. Thought I'd share with anyone bored to tears with this whole Covid19 thing.....sean

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
How to make a 6 cylinder motorcycle engine according to Allen Millyard:

Just start with a hacksaw. No really.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

if you haven't seen it.....well worth a watch

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Everyone is probably familiar with Jeremy Clarkson. He presented Top Gear for years with Richard Hammond and James May. Maybe some of you know (I'm sure our UK contingent does) that he did documentaries when he was younger.

I happened upon one he did about the Victoria Cross. It is quite well done, and if I'm honest, I was sort of surprised by that. I guess with his persona on Top Gear, I expected he would be quite the same. I assure you, he is quite serious in this program and he did the research behind the subject. To include, the origins of the Victoria Cross and how it came to be.

To find out that he is married to the daughter of his program's focus soldier, well...that was kind of a twist that makes the whole thing well worth watching.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
And now, a public service announcement from Easy Rider, Peter Fonda and Evel Knievel. No kidding.

If you pay attention to the credits, you'll notice the name Cliff Vaughs. He's the guy who actually fabricated the choppers used in the movie Easy Rider. A fact that was not recognized for several decades because of his race. Peter Fonda eventually stated as much before his passing in 2019.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Depending on where you live, the lockdown seems to be loosening up a bit but no matter; anytime is a good time for entertaining video. I stumbled across this guy while shopping for some parts and it didn't take long for me to get hooked. Here's a sample......
There are a gazillion more of them on You Tube, all worth watching.

Fort Nine is an out East Canadian motorcycle aftermarket parts and gear supplier. Apparently, a few years ago, they hired this guy Ryan (rf9) to do a few product reviews and "how to pick the right tire" type videos. Ryan grabbed the job by the horns, hooked himself up with a talented cinematographer, and the rest is history. I like his wacky humor, the production quality, the spectacular Canadian scenery (OK, I'm biased, I admit), and his obvious abiding love for all things motorcycle.

Here's another on the KLR650.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Depending on where you live, the lockdown seems to be loosening up a bit but no matter; anytime is a good time for entertaining video. I stumbled across this guy while shopping for some parts and it didn't take long for me to get hooked. Here's a sample......
There are a gazillion more of them on You Tube, all worth watching.

Fort Nine is an out East Canadian motorcycle aftermarket parts and gear supplier. Apparently, a few years ago, they hired this guy Ryan (rf9) to do a few product reviews and "how to pick the right tire" type videos. Ryan grabbed the job by the horns, hooked himself up with a talented cinematographer, and the rest is history. I like his wacky humor, the production quality, the spectacular Canadian scenery (OK, I'm biased, I admit), and his obvious abiding love for all things motorcycle.

Here's another on the KLR650.
I agree; great production value and content that's humorous, informative, insightful and easy to digest. The channel is one I check in on fairly often.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts