Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Funnily enough, I just watched some his stuff tonight on youtube. His video on Harley Davidson is pretty entertaining...not that I agree with his assessment but it was entertaining at any rate.

·
Registered
318 Posts
He is very entertaining (nice presentation skills and awesome camera work), and very brave....witness tackling the issue of "darksiding". My only gripe with his video is his subject of bike. Using a bike with spoked wheels sets up concerns beyond that of merely slapping a car tire on a motorcycle.

However, his findings are interesting, and he did mention the one motorcycle where darksiding is a religion and generates just as much controversy when someone doesn't agree with someone else....the almighty Honda Goldwing. The stunning fact is that a Goldwing exceeds the weight that most tires are capable of. I have also seen videos of talented riders on curvy roads putting the pegs to the road, which is as far as a Goldwing wants to lean before things get nasty, so handling is not detremental on this particular bike.

I think he should have gone the extra mile and also done a side-by-side Goldwing test with his BMW.

Either way, enjoy....

·
Registered
388 Posts
He is very entertaining (nice presentation skills and awesome camera work), and very brave....witness tackling the issue of "darksiding". My only gripe with his video is his subject of bike. Using a bike with spoked wheels sets up concerns beyond that of merely slapping a car tire on a motorcycle

Yeah, gooping up those spoke ends with 3M 5200 really grabbed my attention. Being a boater, I'm familiar with the product and I know its a sealant/adhesive that works great for sealing below-the-waterline thru-hull fittings, but would I trust my life to it to seal a motorcycle wheel? Absolutely not! Those spoke ends are in constant motion and a flat tire on a motorcycle is a potentially life-threatening safety issue.

I've never owned a cruiser-style motorcycle but if I did, I'd opt to just spend the money on purpose designed motorcycle tires rather than trying to save few bucks and second guess all those smart engineers. Like the horse people say, "No feet, no horse".

·
Registered
19,298 Posts
QUARINTINE? what quarantine we ain't got no stinking covid 1,2,3 whatever down hea

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yeah, gooping up those spoke ends with 3M 5200 really grabbed my attention. Being a boater, I'm familiar with the product and I know its a sealant/adhesive that works great for sealing below-the-waterline thru-hull fittings, but would I trust my life to it to seal a motorcycle wheel? Absolutely not! Those spoke ends are in constant motion and a flat tire on a motorcycle is a potentially life-threatening safety issue.

I've never owned a cruiser-style motorcycle but if I did, I'd opt to just spend the money on purpose designed motorcycle tires rather than trying to save few bucks and second guess all those smart engineers. Like the horse people say, "No feet, no horse".
There is a company out of Japan called Outex. They make a seal system for spoked wheels so you can run a tubeless tire without the hassle of putting a tube into it. Apparently it works well enough to race with. Outex Tubeless Kit

That, and any modern tubeless tire will not cause an accident when it goes flat. Not in and of itself anyway. It just gets very difficult to steer, as a bike with a flat tire doesn't want to lean.

All that stated, installing a car tire on a motorcycle is just plain stupid. There is a reason the two have different profiles.

When I worked at the cycle shop, I had a customer tell me he wanted a normal motorcycle tire installed for a club ride that weekend. I removed his car tire and installed the correct rear tire for his bike. (I don't remember what it was)

He told me when he picked up the bike that after that weekend, he wanted me to reinstall his car tire. I refused. He went to my boss, who also refused. He was really unhappy and started ranting about how he didn't need some performance tire because he didn't "go around corners or any of that business"

I asked how he got to work if all he did was ride in a straight line. Then I added, "getting on and off the freeway means off-ramps, most of which are curves, right?"

That shut him up.

Seriously, I'm sure all of us have ridden a bike where there rear tire was squared off from riding the freeway more than curvy roads. It makes taking a corner a whole lot more sketchy feeling than it needs to be. I imagine the same to be true if one were to ride on a car tire.

That and the side wall of a car tire flexes much more more than a motorcycle tire...unless you used a low profile tire or run-flat.....and I've literally had rims come completely out of the clamps on a tire machine when trying to remove a tire with a really stiff side wall. (like a run flat)

I am in complete agreement, I'd rather spend a bit more on a tire and know that I'm safe riding on it. The engineers that spec'd the tires are a lot smarter than most motorcycle riders........or youtube channel stars.........sean

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Tha whistles go a 'woooo wooo'

Just bringin' back an oldie.
😆

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Never even heard of that. Funny video, was that an April Fool's Day piece???
Nope. That’s a legit story from back in the day. 20 years ago or very nearly that. It went around on the old Club Desmo BBS back then.

You might say it was one of the very first viral threads. People had a lot of fun with it.

Then, like 2 years later it was going around at work as it made its way around other BBS’s and early forums. I think it made its rounds again about 10 years ago in some forums.

It’s not all that widely known as it was more of a Bay Area thing. There’s one or two around the town I live in to this day but it’s not “sweeping the nation”

If you go anywhere in the Bay Area or greater Bay Area and say “a woooo woo” someone will respond and most everyone will know what you’re referencing.

Do so in, say Las Vegas you still might find one or two who know. Any farther East and pretty likely no one will. Unless they were Club Desmo members back in the day.

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Big fan of Lewis Black. Mostly from his time on Jon Stewart's show. He started this new "routine" called "The Rant is Due" where he takes input from the crowd to improv a routine. A bit different, and maybe not quite as funny as he normally is but it is entertaining.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Another oldie...throw back....classic....what ever. It's just funny.

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
This is what an American hero looks like....is like.....and is to this day, held in the highest regard by every Air Force flying community. He is so revered, that to this day, every March, members across the Air Force, in all career fields, grow a bushy mustache in his honor. We call it Mustache March but it wouldn't be if it weren't for a certain Robin Olds.

I've posted the video of a speech his daughter made about him first for a reason. It's kind of an introduction to him. If you watch any of the videos that follow or not, make sure to watch the first.

In it, she explains much about why he became who he was. If you're an aviation fanatic, or even a casual aviation history fan, listen for the names of the aviators who visited his home when he was a child. The men his father; Robert Olds flew with. It is a literal who's who of military aviation history.

#learnathingortwo

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Continuing on, here are some of the man himself.

The thing is, leaders like him, are a rarity. There are visionary leaders who think on a level so far above that of a normal human being. Men like Hap Arnold or George C. Marshall. The extraordinary forward vision he possessed is what made Europe the way it is today. Hap Arnold is why there is an Air Force today, rather than an Army Air Force.

Then there are those who think on more tactical level like George S. Patton and Robin Olds. Leaders who lead from the front. Wolf Pack is what the unit he lead became. Currently the wing at Kunsan AB, South Korea.
Here, far later in life. He still calls it as he sees it.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Found this last night scrolling around YouTube. Interesting in several ways and completely hilarious in others.

The narrator is super familiar. Watched him on the news when I was a kid. Or at least, I think so.

The hilarious side of the presentation is ; count how many times he says “erection” or anything else remotely construable as “sexually suggestive”

Make a game of it. You’ll find yourself laughing uncontrollably

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Any of us West Coast riders know of Dave Moss. He’s almost a legend in suspension tuning.

He shows up at track days and the AFM club races to set up bikes for anyone in need.

I’ve met him, And he’s a really good dude. In fact, he’d play down the whole legend thing.

I found a series of videos he did about 10 years ago in his “2 clicks out” series.

They start with a WERA rider coming to him for help and continue through about 6 videos. I’ll have to split them up as the forum software will only allow 4 media attachments per post.

Here is the first part:
Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Part 5:

Part 6:

Part 7:

Finally, I’ll leave it at this more lengthy video:

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Those videos were excellent. I love watching the calm, focused, efficient approach of top notch professionals and I learned a few things.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts