Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
During WW II there was a friendly rivalry between 2 USAAF pilots in the South Pacific. It was played up by the press of the day. Not unlike the dual between Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa.

Unlike that more modern dual, the outcome of for Thomas McGuire and Richard Bong was not one tinged by scandal. Nor was their one-two “act” one of a game like baseball.

No, the game in which they were engaged was one of very real and very deadly consequence. You see, Richard Bong and Thomas McGuire were fighter pilots. Fighting against a very deadly and capable enemy for the title of America’s Ace of Aces.

Bong would win that title. After his 40th aerial victory he was withdrawn from the Pacific Theater and brought home for a promotional tour. He married Marge and went on to become a test pilot flying the P-80, America’s first jet fighter.

He would die in an accident while testing that airplane. Today, few remember his name or know of his exploits. Air Force bases around the world once had a street named after him. Each and every one of them. Some still do.

Thomas McGuire had 38 aerial victories when he failed to return from a mission late in the war. McGuire Air Force Base in his home state of New Jersey is named in his honor.

#learnathingortwo

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Found a neat little video about classic motorcycles in Italy. It's a different point of view but filled with some superb examples of MV Agusta, Ducati and MotoGuzzi. I've posted 2 links. Link number 1 picks up with Part II and the MotoGuzzi Daytona. Link# 2 starts at the beginning. If your interest is strictly with the Guzzi, start with link# 1.

The Guzzi Daytona is a dream bike of mine. According to the video, there were just 2 runs of 500 each ever built. Alas, I don't see one in my future....besides, my wife already laid down the law. No new bikes until I finish the PSS and my GSXR project that has lingered for well over a decade.....actually, nearing 2 decades now. So, enjoy the video.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
MCN rides the Honda NR:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Surfing around on youtube I found this video series from the early 2000s that features none other than Richard Hammond of Top Gear fame.

The vid below is episode 3 from season 1. I thought @ducatiman might get a kick out of the used bike review Hammond does of the TX850. Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Another from that series, episode 4. The reason I posted this one is Hammond rides and reviews a ZXR400. As we never got any 4 cylinder 400s here aside from the original FZR and the later CB1 (not even in the same class) I thought the forum might like to see what that class was all about. Enjoy!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The UK didn't get many 400 4 bangers either. There was a period time, however, when the grey-market was popular....super trick 400/4 versions of the latest sport bikes, the ones that were officially imported in 600 / 750 / 1000 variations. The 400's were tiny and had amazing components. A real competitor to the Suzuki RG 250 Gamma and Yamaha TZR 250 smokers of the day.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
That gray market was pretty prolific as there were 400/4s everywhere when I lived there.

I rode one, a GSXR400. Saw plenty of others around Oxford, Bicester and Banbury. More than I saw 2 strokes to be honest.

I had a ZX7 so to me seeing all the ZXR400s screaming around was off the charts cool. Those things are just mini ZX7s

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
SUPERBIKE!!! Honda RC30:

Enjoy!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts