Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it's the stock fairing (made from ABS plastic, the black stuff) ABS solvent cement works well to bond it together, but you would need to find a little piece of ABS to fill in the gap; it would be easy enough to redrill the hole after if need be. For something that small you could also use some fiberglass, although I've found that if you get an impact on the fairing again that the fiberglass doesn't bond to the ABS too well. ABS will be easier to smooth into shape after you fill the gap, you can use a rasp and a file or a dremel tool if you have one.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Are you from Tallinn? Your English is better than mine!

You can use a soldering iron to weld plastic. You can also use a scrap piece of plastic and melt it to fill in voids. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I´m from Tallinn. You are from estonia too? I tried to use soldering iron but the result was not good. The piece I melted came loose after couple of rides...I still hasn´t found the time to repair it properly :(

·
Registered
548 Posts
Gentlemen, I know several native English speakers that cannot convey the information was well as the two of you, no need to apologize.

spider_kyle, my faring is cracked in several places, the ABS solvent cement sounds like a good fix. Where can I find thin/flat filler pieces? Home Depot/Lowes?

Robert

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
You must support the pieces in the final position that they will be on the bike.
If the angle that you weld your pieces together is not the same as the final disposition when mounted, they will crack. (The same is true for gluing). Don't skimp on plastic and you can apply several layers to make it thicker. You can certainly use glue, but if you are painting the parts you might find the welding process more easily compatible. You can also use bring the heat down by using a rheostat to keep the plastic from melting too fast. Yours is pretty badly damaged so you will need to use another piece of plastic to glue/weld to replace the missing area. You can reinforce behind the cowling, and, as FOG (I think) has mentioned, let it cure before mounting the part and using the bike.
The friend I learned this from has repaired pieces much worse than yours with no problem, so don't be discouraged. I have practiced on scrap pieces but I am still not as good, but I have saved a couple parts that would have cost $$ to replace.

Again, the parts must be clamped or weighted and remain in the right position until they cure.

Let us know how it goes!

(I am from another northern clime, btw, Montana.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts