Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

So what would you do if you had a Cracked Collar bone?

• Listen to the doctor and not ride till it heals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sit around and boohoo!

• Say "the hell with this I'm ridin"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my nice lil highside almost 2 weeks ago, I go back to the doctor and he tells me I have a small crack in my collar bone. Told me to take it easy and not ride for a while so it can heal its self.

So what would u do in this situation?

I said screw this I'm ridin!
but everynight I feel the pain once I get home.

Diesel

·
Registered
200 Posts
Depending on how bad the fracture is. crap you could end up falling from it again and jacking up more then u did the first time.

IMO it is kinda of trying to ride when ur head isn't all in the game and evrything else just doesn't feel right..

but anyways it is your bone, your bike, and your choice

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not too bad not a complete break. A small crack.

It hurts worse when trying to drive a car cuase I actually gotta turn the wheel. With the bike it's a bit more comfortable as crazy as that sounds cause I use my body to turn the bike.

Only pain is when I'm stretching my right arm too mucha dn leaning on the tank.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Let it heal properly now. Injuries you don't take care of now may become arthritic when you are older.

2dogs

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
2dogs said:
Let it heal properly now. Injuries you don't take care of now may become arthritic when you are older.

2dogs
on that note .... sometimes they don't wait until your 'older' . I have arthiritist from where i have broke ones and I'm only 33 . But then again , i now have a torn rotator cup , and i still ride . it's your body and fractures will heal on their own . There is not much you can do to help them heal .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Let it heal correctly before cracking it even more ;)

Also, if you're not 110% focussed on the bike while riding, you may end up in even worst shape.

Imagine what the doc's reaction when he's going to fix you the 2nd time ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would listen to the Dr. your collar bone stabilizes your arm. If you have a stress fracture or crack then a slight fall could take you out all together for a long time while it heals :-[

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have fallen from my downhill bike more than few times. I was young and stupid. Now I am paying for it. I have arthritis in my R shouldr C&A jont. Cortisone shots every 5-6 mo. My knees are acting up on weather, my old fractures hurt when it is cold out.
So if you don't love your own body, GO AHEAD and ride it out...Doctors will love to send you their bills!!!
It is your choice and your life!
Cheers!

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Diesel has unknowingly brought up another inaccuracies about Motorcycles "With the bike it's a bit more comfortable as crazy as that sounds cause I use my body to turn the bike. " This one is right up there with loud pipes save lives.
You turn a motorcycle with the Handel bars first in the opposite direction (counter steer)of the one you wish to go in the back to neutral to maintain the desired radius.

This is the ONLY WAY That you can make a motorcycle change direction. All of the gymnastics are for enhancement of the cornering power, by primarily trying to keep a fatter portion of the tire contacting the ground.

FOG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
2dogs said:

2dogs
on that note .... sometimes they don't wait until your 'older' . I have arthiritist from where i have broke ones and I'm only 33 . But then again , i now have a torn rotator cup , and i still ride . it's your body and fractures will heal on their own . There is not much you can do to help them heal .
I agree. I'm only 17 and I have arthiritis in my knees, elbows, hands, fingers, and ankles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Second the motion, my shoudler and thumb still pain years after I hurt them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Best to take the doc's advice and heal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
To me it would depend on how much it hurt and if I still had full range of motion. Then again I've never been to a doctor in my life so that's me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Broke my collar bone straight thru 4 years ago in a mini bike accident (they are no joke). I reset the bone myself before I realized it was broken. Went to the hospital that night and found out how bad it actually was, 3 fractured ribs and a completely broken collar bone which the doctor had to set again (if you see a bump where your collar bone is DO NOT HIT IT BACK DOWN). I was really doped up and in alot of pain for a few days. Then the fuel pump in my car went out and I got bored of sitting in my house so i jumped on the bike and went for a ride. It wasn't bad and din't hurt so I rode the bike everywhere i needed to go for the next week until the car was fixed.

I still don't have a full range of motion and feel pain in my shoulder when it rains. Looking back on it I should have just stayed home, not sure if it did any more damage but it was a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
FOG said:
You turn a motorcycle with the Handel bars first in the opposite direction (counter steer)of the one you wish to go in the back to neutral to maintain the desired radius.
This is the ONLY WAY That you can make a motorcycle change direction.
While I agree the primary streering input is counter steer. you are incorrect as far as it concerns me, i let go the bars, sit up and steer the bike with my knees and weight frequently while coming up to a light, use the rear brake and play with my helmet straps, ...I can turn 5-10 degrees easy.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Oh, and to the subject at hand, i raced Daytona 2 weeks after this break with a clavical brace on under my leathers but I don't recomend it, if I wasn't young and stupid (and running in the points) ..... I sure wouldn't do it now....those bone shards hurt alot when you move em about....
got any pics of your Xrays? here's mine:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Never cared much for pain... long slow agony is fine (cross country good, 200 bad!).

Tyler Hamilton was one of the top cyclists in the Tour de France & got a double broken collarbone, and kept racing! Bicyclists often race in tight groups, up & down mountains, and overe cobblestone roads.

Balancing, pushing, pulling w/ arms almost nonstop. What a maniac.
If interested... http://espn.go.com/oly/tdf2003/s/2003/0723/1584479.html

·
Registered
405 Posts
Personally I'd wait a little while but not as long as the doc says. They are generally over catious, once it heals up a bit some stress can actually help it heal more quickly.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
there wasnt an option for "take 2 vicodans and wash it down with a beer"

but thats what i'd do if i had a cracked collar bone lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts