Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I had a crash yesterday :( Here is what happened...

While riding down a twisty sigle lane road (the 1A splits off into a single lane just past Canmore Alberta) I was pushing my Ex trying to keep up with friends on GSXR750's (first mistake) and entered a left turn too fast for my abilitly (second mistake). I made I through that turn just barely, which set me up with a horrible line into the next right hand turn. I was going about 110/115 kph and this corner was marked 60 (duhh). I realised I was going wide and panicked when I saw the gravel at the edge of the road. Instead of looking through the corner and leaning hard I fixed my eyes on the gravel (third mistake) and went for the front brake (fourth mistake). Needless to say once I hit the gravel the front wheel washed out and I went down on the right side of the bike. My leg was under the bike just enough to pull my shoe off (riding in shoes, fifth mistake?) before I slid through the gravel and into the ditch on my stomach.

I got up surprisingly unhurt and unconcered about my bike. My first thought was "Where in the hell is my shoe?" I hadn't looked at the bike at this point and I still had some sad illusion that it was just fine and I could pull it out of the ditch and catch up to by buddy. Soon I realised that wasn't goign to happen.

The damage was strictly cosmetic aside from an effed up rear brake that I will have to fix. If nothing else, this has been a learning experience and a loud wake up call.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Glad to hear it was only a learning experience. Target fixation is a bear. I talk to my self out loud sometimes when I catch my self doing it. I just got a new rear. It's great. I also had to talk to my self about staying within my capabilities with it ;D That being said riding with other people has it's pro's and con's. It's good to have friends with cruisers :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
i read this a few days ago. and sorta glued my eyes on stuff intentionally to see if i would go near the object or what not. i didn't, but probably because i was tryng to. target fixation was one of the first things i heard to not do

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah I have a hard time believing if you target fixate go in that direction. They said they same thing back when I was in driver's ed. I do have a little problem with fixating and have to consciously stop myself, but I have never gone where I look, in car or on bike, I go where I steer.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? I find that where I turn my head and point my eyes makes a world of difference in regards to where the motorcycle goes. Especially when doing tight U-turns I find that if I make an effort to look as far around over my shoulder to where I want to end up as I can, I am able to complete a tighter turn becasue it gets my whole body into it. I have heard skiers say the same thing about target fixation. If you want to go between two trees, focus on a point beyond the trees and between them. never lock onto the object you with to avoid. I don't know, I find it really is a factor.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ Agreed, but it's not only applicable to skiing or motorcycling. Its liked to any situation where your body is in movement and you can change the outcome. It's the same for driving a car too, especially when drifting.. or being out of control ;)

But its something you do unconsciously, if you try to prove it wrong, you won't feel it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the crash I have done lots more riding and a couple times I got that oh "&#% feeling comming into a corner...but having learned from my crash I was able to recognise the situation and look through the corner and lean harder, making it through safe and sound

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
flipped_dimension said:
Hey all, I had a crash yesterday :( Here is what happened...

While riding down a twisty sigle lane road (the 1A splits off into a single lane just past Canmore Alberta) I was pushing my Ex trying to keep up with friends on GSXR750's (first mistake) and entered a left turn too fast for my abilitly (second mistake). I made I through that turn just barely, which set me up with a horrible line into the next right hand turn. I was going about 110/115 kph and this corner was marked 60 (duhh). I realised I was going wide and panicked when I saw the gravel at the edge of the road. Instead of looking through the corner and leaning hard I fixed my eyes on the gravel (third mistake) and went for the front brake (fourth mistake). Needless to say once I hit the gravel the front wheel washed out and I went down on the right side of the bike. My leg was under the bike just enough to pull my shoe off (riding in shoes, fifth mistake?) before I slid through the gravel and into the ditch on my stomach.

I got up surprisingly unhurt and unconcered about my bike. My first thought was "Where in the hell is my shoe?" I hadn't looked at the bike at this point and I still had some sad illusion that it was just fine and I could pull it out of the ditch and catch up to by buddy. Soon I realised that wasn't goign to happen.

The damage was strictly cosmetic aside from an effed up rear brake that I will have to fix. If nothing else, this has been a learning experience and a loud wake up call.
Glad you're alright!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts