Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
they are But. as long as the parts are matched (IE foot pegs, exhausts) and there are no sticky out bits to cause injury, and provided it conforms to the relevant road legislation they have no choice but to pass it on the vehicle inspection.
so for example all the lights work as they should all the parts are the same (side to side) no play anywhere in anything,
no leaks, new tires, brake efficiency 90% front (75% for a pass) rear 48% (25% for a pass) it's good to go.

now they are bringing in a draft amendment so it is illegal not to use OEM parts when doing repairs (trying to stop cheap fake china parts) being used. but it not coming in until 2025. and then it will make no difference to the bike because (deep breath) all the parts ARE OEM just not from a EX500, :):)(y). and as normal with any new law, if a non OEM part has been used before 2025 you don't have to take it off as it was on when the law changed.
And just how does the government expect to spot the difference between a genuine OEM part and non-OEM? Just crazy legislation.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
like all governments it doesn't, just makes the rules and leaves the policing to lesser mortals. probably the MOT testing stations. motor factors will be hardest hit. one proviso is all manufacturers will have to guarantee availability of genuine spares for 15 years. good luck with that one.
mind you as with all these things it could change as the start date is well past the next election so just kick the ball away for the next lot to sort out. as we are no longer obliged to follow EU rules it may never happen.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It is the 400th anniversary of the English expression "The law is an ass."
Quite appropriate to call to mind.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yeah quite true the saying is "the law is an ass and the politicians who make it are donkeys" never more true than today.

anyway work progresses at a steady rate. the rear suspension is sorted, made a new fixed riding height with some 165mm dog bones I made, lower than normal for my short legs but high enough to give sufficient ground clearance and suspension movement. all electrics now sorted and moved to new positions (just to tidy them up a little) when I get round to doing the tank and seat refit.
had to drop the coolant and remove radiator to fit the ER500 exhaust (required modifying to fit better) all now bolted up and refilled. ran through two heat cycles no leaks no issues, exhaust sounds different not loud but more noticeable.
rear brake re worked and adjusted the foot peg position is now stock with OEM levers and kit.
start on the front next but work will slow up a bit due to the falling temps and no heat in the garage until the wood burner arrives sometime in February.
so far I have reduced the weight by 34kg (75lbs) so well on target for the 45kg I'm after. must admit though it's beginning to look less like a cruiser and more of a street fighter/rat bike. but whatever it takes to lose the weight while still being functional will do. will probably have to describe it as something else when finished. lol.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts