Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil about 2 days ago with 10-50 synthetic, amsoil to be specific, the only thing is now when i try and start my bike, when i push the button the engine crunches, the lights on the dash dim, then come up and the bike starts, the noise almost sounds like im revving it high in neutral and putting it in gear at like 9k rpms, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
.Sounds like your starter clutch is slipping for a bit before it catches. The new oil could have caused that to happen. The clutch require a small amount of friction to engage properly and your oil has defeated it. Is what you used labled, fuel saving of super frictionless or any of the stupid words the add copy writes love to lable with?

FOG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, this is standard motorcycle engine oil, it happened a bit my last oil change, and then when i drained a bit of the oil cause i thought i put too much, the noise stopped pretty much, im thinking i should drain a bit out of my bike soon, any other thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have about .3 of a quart too much. i believe fog said on another topic that hes seen 500's run fine with 6 quarts in them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
look at the teeth on the starter & flywheel, see if any are chipped or broken. I know on my old pickup I had some broken teeth on the flywheel and sometime it would grind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i figured out something else, it only does it when its been sitting, off, in gear, and i try and start it without putting it in neutral and rolling it first. if i put it in neutral and roll backwards on it and then start it its fine.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
That latest revelation indicates the clutch drag is escaberating the problem. The increased load causes the starter clutch to slip more till it fully engages. You shouldn't be trying to start in gear (except in emergencies) .

FOG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, i havent been starting it in gear for a while since the problem started, except for the times i forget of course, if i wanted to check the starter teeth and everything what side of the engine is it on, rear brake side or shift lever side? and a general area of where its at would help, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
There isn't any teeth. the starter is connected to the flywheel by a chain through a cintrifugal one way clutch. The clutch is what's making your noise. There are three rollers that have to spin out and engage the insides of a drum. then they are locked by a cam. the oil is causeing the rollers to spin a few extra revolutions before they catch and get locked tightlly enough to drive the engine. When the engine starts it spins faster than the starter drive the clutch so the rollers disengage.
You don't have a problem. except the wrong oil.

FOG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
probably the most concise explanation ive heard so far, lol, 1 friend tells me i fucked up the starter cause i roll the throttle when i push the start button, someone else told me i needed to rebuild the starter for some unknown reason, and then the other replies on the forum (not a flame, just a comment, good ideas tho) ok fog, u tell me, i live in south texas on the border of mexico, no winter, just maybe a few 40 degree days, avg temperature is 90 degrees +, what kind of oil do i need? btw its spelled centrifugal ;D

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Castrol Dyno 20-50 in the Orange cap. Change it @2500 miles.

FOG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awesome thank u very much, now i just need to find cash to get it :p ill let yall know how it works out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts