Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I'd share some of my bike pics from Cuba. I find it interesting how they can take take a 40 year old bike and make it look new...

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's like a backwards center-stand in the first pic. And man, thank goodness they're in Cuba.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Can anyone tell me what's the 1st one ?
How's the steering working ?

Is it me or the 2nd bike has a 'aftermarket' frame ?

Nice machines for 40 years old, I'm always impressed at their craftman skills

·
Registered
261 Posts
That second bike actually looks pretty cool IMO, for what it is.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It might be a distant ancestor, it's an air-cooled engine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Frog said:
Can anyone tell me what's the 1st one ?
How's the steering working ?
I don't know exactly what it is except that MZ is an Italian 2-stroke engine mfg. The front suspension has kind of a swing arm arrangement on the front wheel. There is heavy bar or pair of bars (probably black which is why they cannot be seen) running down behind the front wheel and the "swingarm" pivot is behind the wheel. So it steers like normal. You can see the same arrangement on a lot of older bikes.

What I'm not seeing well is the front brake. If that's a drum up there it's pretty small! Looks like a small cable running into the hub instead of a lever. Could this thing have a compression band?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
man, there are some damn good mechanics in cuba. they got studebakers from the 50's, but they havent gotten any new parts since then either lol. they are still running though lol.

anyone who can strip parts from a 1963 soviet tank and make it work on your studebaker is alright in my book :)

you lucky canadians... i wish i could go to cuba... stupid department of state, prohibiting me from going there or spending US dollars there :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
You could try Costa Rica. Nice people, incredibly varied terrain, great weather on the Pacific coast and the Tico mechanics are pretty damn creative too. They don't have any old tanks to pull parts from but I've seen some creative application of horseshoes and corregated metal.

R

·
0 Posts
When we (my soon to be wife and I) take our honeymoon this coming winter, my only goal is to rent a bike like one of those to boot around on for the week. I think it'd be such a blast going from a modern (as modern as the 500 is) machine to sometihng like one of those bikes!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I say we end the embargo and send them some 10 year old EX-500's

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Send them Gs500 bikes, I need the spare ex500 parts for my 17yo ride ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some more pics for our American friends who don't get to go to Cuba :'(
Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
These guys will fix anything, I've read somewhere that they resort to putting Lada engines in Chevy Bel-Air.. through a Chrysler tranny ;)

I like the 1st pict, all old cars (and Russian army truck) and 1 brand new Peugeot (can't even get those here)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts