Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!!

I have a 87 GPZ500 which i'm working on. I put pods and a Muzzy 2-1 on it and scrapped the stock airbox (probably a mistake). Now after reading on the forum ive decided to make a custom airbox from a spare electronics box i have (see below). I drew a diagram of what it would look like but i have a question. What size should the intake holes be to give the a similar preasure as the stock box?

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
It's hard to tell form the picture but it looks way too small to be of any use other than to hold a filter.
In this case Size does matter.

FOG

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just buy a used one. There's one on eBay now for $24.99.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FOG said:
It's hard to tell form the picture but it looks way too small to be of any use other than to hold a filter.

FOG
The box i have is 196 x 112 x 60 mm in size and should fit the carb intakemanifolds.
Does it matter if the airbox is a stock huge clunky one or a smaller custom fabricated
one with the same size intake holes (stock+fog airbox mod 1")??

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Jaques said:
FOG said:

FOG
The box i have is 196 x 112 x 60 mm in size and should fit the carb intakemanifolds.
Does it matter if the airbox is a stock huge clunky one or a smaller custom fabricated
Total Volume will affect the carbruretion but I can't predict how. And the fog mod may be redundant too who knows.

FOG

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FOG said:
Jaques said:
FOG said:

FOG
Total Volume will affect the carbruretion but I can't predict how. And the fog mod may be redundant too who knows.

FOG
Ah i understand. I think i'll just have to try it out with say two 1" holes in the front and see what happens. 2x1" should restrict the intake volume enough i think. I can allways enlarge the holes later if needed.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Doesn't the stock airbox draw air from the far left and far right, whereas this custom box would be drawing air from against the battery? It might not matter - they may be far enough apart (the box and the battery) that it'll get plenty of air. Just throwing that out there as a consideration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick D said:
Doesn't the stock airbox draw air from the far left and far right, whereas this custom box would be drawing air from against the battery? It might not matter - they may be far enough apart (the box and the battery) that it'll get plenty of air. Just throwing that out there as a consideration.
Good thought but tested the box out and it will fit fine with 2" of space between it and the battery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well i would stick with the pods and go through the process of tuning out the jet sizes and such until it is right for the pod filters, also free up the exhaust a bit and i don't see any problem, exept that tuning it will be a pita since no-one seems to have done it and cared to post there specs on how the got it right for their regional climate, if it were a vstar 650 yamaha you could tell me the mods you've done/intend and i could tell you the closest starting point for the tuning specs, but these 500's no one wants to fine tune to the absolute end, i want to but will probly have to sell mine soon to settle a few debts i have accumulated recently...

·
Registered
52 Posts
then i correct myself... "so very few (thus far 1) have taken the time and cared to post their results and specs"... sorry to offend :p

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
afaik, he's the only one who got it working ;)

S

·
0 Posts
I have pods, and a D&D pipe, bike runs great, will run through the gears with no hesitation at all. Dont know the main jet size off hand but can find it if needed. Pilots are set at 2.75 could maybe go out a little more but I have not had enough warm weather to do fine tuning.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Frog said:
afaik, he's the only one who got it working ;)
Let me correct my previous statement then, we're up to 2 guys :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
ok, so it is 2, possibly more but spikezx6r hasn't given specs yet unless in another thread... :p on the vstar forum ther are few who havent modded their 650's and given or gotten specific instructions on how they (or others) did theirs...

S

·
0 Posts
No one asked for them... :p, For some reason 135 on the main sticks in my head, have to check and verify. Believe 132 is stock. Pilots are 3.25 everything else I left alone. Idles perfect, no hesitation with slow throttle turn or WOT. For those who enjoy them, it will wheelie no problem now, I can stand it up shifting into second 15/44. Wouldnt mind hopping back on a stocker just to see the difference, it has been awhile. It has lost a little power down low, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well i got my ninja after having ridden a yamaha 650 cruiser for 2 years and i thought it had low power period because that vstar has godawful massive torque in the low end and just decent top end power, so i didn't really take the ninja over 5k rpm till i had bought it and friends on the vstar forum said "no, it has much more power, just go out and thrash it" so i did and i realized the all the power is on the top end with these ninjas, these bikes got almost nothing below 5k rpms, then the fun begins... but i'm sure you already new that :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts