Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Work on the bike has slowed down, due to moving, but I was able to put the carbs back in this weekend. After doing a carb sync it ran the best it's ever run in my custody, success! The issues I was having can be attributed to the incorrect idle jet.

I put the tank on to take the bike around the block and sure enough it ran like crap and the throttle response was terrible. I think the petcock rebuild and inline fuel filter (which is causing a slight kink in the line) are to blame. I should have bit the bullet and went with an OEM petcock from the start. The only similar/same OEM petcock I can find on amazon is for the Vulcan 500 (which looks like it has the same engine as our Ex500?). The Vulcan petcock appears identical to the 500; has anyone had any luck using these? Nothing came up in the search here.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Make sure your filter is 5/16" or 8 MM tubing or it will not flow enough. You can set a filter vertically right on top of the fuel rail, but it may need a little foam cushion zip-tied to it if it touches any hard parts. Same with petcocks. Best to clean and rebuild the OEM petcock rather than use a 150cc Chinese scooter petcock that is really cheap. But...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Make sure your filter is 5/16" or 8 MM tubing or it will not flow enough. You can set a filter vertically right on top of the fuel rail, but it may need a little foam cushion zip-tied to it if it touches any hard parts. Same with petcocks. Best to clean and rebuild the OEM petcock rather than use a 150cc Chinese scooter petcock that is really cheap. But...
The rebuild kit that I used on the OEM has made it impossible to turn the petcock without a pair of pliers. Instead of screwing around with that and a fuel filter, I'll fork out the extra money for OEM and be done.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Uff da. Sounds like the "donut" was too thick. Or the fuel lever needed some love with emery cloth.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts