Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this lately a bit, why not create yourself a fairing in Pro-Engineer or Solidworks or somethings... and have it printed for you?

Not 100% sure how long the plastic from those printers would hold up to the flexing and vibration, but I think it would be a really cool experiment. Not sure what the cost would be... we have a 3D printer here at work but I don't know if I could get away with using it for that purpose haha.

You would have to do a fair amount of sanding, and have the fairing printed in pieces.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It would let you do really good looking custom stuff but my guess is that it would be really expensive and not practical (heavy and less durable than typical methods).

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
You could feasibly do this to prototype a fairing. I wouldn't use the printed media as a fairing but to create a mold with it would be pretty cool. Then you could just cast your fairing piece in fiber glass. This would be the ideal way as creating a plug with which to case a mold from is probably the most time consuming part of the whole equation. If you could just 'print' the plug, that would probably save you a whole lot of time. That and with the digital file, you can always modify the part and just re-print with the modification already in. Once 'printed' , a little filler to smooth things out is not a big deal. See if you can work something small at first. You might be able to get away with doing a small piece....like a mid panel or something like that. Just to see what's possible anyway........sean

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to do some modelling in the near future... maybe I can get the guys at work to print out a small-scale version or a piece of a fairing at least show you guys. Will be a slow project haha.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I like the idea! Let us know what you come up with!

·
Registered
74 Posts
With the materials available now it should work fine as is. If only I had access to a 3d scanner still....

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
We are looking at possibly getting a markforged 3d printer that will do continuous carbon fiber, kevlar, onyx, and a few other materials. The thought crossed my mind but it would be a lot harder to design from scratch, especially as the printed item doesnt always match up the size to the cad design 100% and you may need to reprint a few times to fine tune the correct sizing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's cool, did not know such a printer existed. I'm learning on an upgraded hobby printer that can hit 500C inside a reflective enclosure and will liquid cool it sometime, have the hot end and extruder blocks just not the rest.

If I had a scanner I'd try to make a mid fairing and maybe an aerodynamic shell. But do want to make a mirror extender that would snap of tipped over and mirror quick sets spring loaded to have highway Tuck and city detents, right now just have one mirror setup for each one.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts