Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have looked around the forum and can't see much of anything relating to anyone actually fabing up a set of frame sliders... just the brgracing ones and some 'el cheapos

The back slider is pretty straight forward.. just use the rear footpeg mount... (what about using a small say 2" puck underneath the rear footpeg...) what do you people think about that.. interference?

Now the front is alittle more tricky.. just behind the radiator our frame down tubes come down.. What about having a bung welded on about halfway up and down (not planing on midpanels or anything) took some qwik measurments tonight after work.. looks like a 3"-4" puck would work good there..
The other way might be to drill and tap a hole straight thru frame.. (frame is 1 1/4" x 1" on down tubes)

?'s there are about the integrity of the frame.. would it weaken it too much or would there not be any noticable effect on the frame..

This is something i am thinking bout trying.. I have a guy that can make and weld the bung in place for me..cheap..for like a couple beers..

Thanks
Josh ???

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The EX has a notoriously weak frame as is , you DO NOT wanna weld or tap any thing to the frame . If you do it will no longer be structurally sound .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you really think welding a bung on the outside of the frame.. would weaken it... Just wondering... As to how it would weaken it. I know that drilling it out would but not really seeing that welding it one would.. IMO

·
Registered
348 Posts
Putting a dent in your frame (not to mention drilling a hole in it) will automatically land you a salvage notation on your title. I would never mess with the frame. Welding something on sounds a little drastic. I am sure there are better methods to consider. I have a thread in the General Discussion area concerning frame sliders.

·
Registered
253 Posts
hold on mr. 47 !!u must have not chkd all the post on sliders. of course ya have brg. which cost alot or try these guys

the front slider must be alot stronger than the one in the back. these have a insert pressed into them due to your moto mount bolt going thru it. found out your dimensions and email the company. i haven't done a front yet due to the hole u will drilling in the chin fairing
holla back on this

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok now my ? that pic is for an 02-03 R1... is that the one we have to get in order to work with our bikes.. plus what size bolt do we need then?
Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
that i don't know since i've only done the back slider. (which was a different brand)ask some of the cats on the forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts