Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......so my ole F-2 race tail piece has seen better days so been scouting FleaBay for a suitable replacement.........

MUUUHhahahahhaha!!!

(insert drool here)

A new Ducati 748/996/998 solo race tail section carbon kevlar by Carbo Tech (made in Germany) for $250!! NOW MINE!!..... (retail $500+)

So I need to to a little trimming at the front maybe and cut a square hole in the back for the brake light, and mount the tag, tag light, turn signals, seat cushion/cover...

Will it cut straight or ragged? Can I use a hacksaw or do i have to find a cutting wheel? Or some other way? JigSaw work?

Will it drill easy or does it crack?
Really don't want to mess it up...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
It'll be horribly ragged and you'll probably end up cracking the epoxy resin that surrounds the fiber. drill and grind for a better finish. they make specialty drill bits for working with fiberglass/carbon fiber. you can find one online at OPP Racing or your local tool supply store.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found a KF dealer who had this on his site:

"How do I cut it?
For the thinner pieces (.020 and smaller), you can actually just use a good pair of scissors. Thicker material you may be able to use a tin-snips, but the optimal method is to use a band saw or scroll saw. Fast-cutting, as with a jigsaw or circular saw tends to make a lot of dust, and can leave a less-smooth cut, so slow-cutting is typically better. When using a saw, it is a good idea to protect the glossy finish from scratches, with some masking or similar tape. Finish up the edges with a 100 grit sandpaper to take the rough spots off, then detail with 400 grit. If you're really fancy, you can use a Waterjet or Laser-cutting service. (Although laser-cutting carbon fiber tends to really stink as the material burns!)"

What's a scroll saw?

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got to cut a square hole, that thingy won't do that to well... maybe a jigsaw with some wammy blades...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
wolf66 said:
I've got to cut a square hole, that thingy won't do that to well... maybe a jigsaw with some whammy blades...
Use a fine tooth finishing blade on a jig saw and a drill bit to start the hole . The scrollsaw that they are talking about is mostlikely the kind drywallers use to cut around electrical boxes .

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A google search came up with this:

"Another method is to use a jigsaw with a Remington gritedge blade"

?? sound good? it was on a aeronautical BBS...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have some flat 5/16" carbon fibre and I used a jigsaw with a carbide blade, it's one of those blades that's supposed to cut tiles. It works but it dulls the blade pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You can get a blade for a scroll saw that cuts in any direction. For a square hole you'd drill a hole inside the square somewhere and then cut to the edges. It'd probably be a big pain in the arse to use a scroll saw on a piece like that, though.

If it's close to the edge you could use a fine tooth coping saw. I'd think the easiest way would be to use a high speed rotary tool (i.e. Dremel) with a cutting wheel so you don't over cut. The cutting with scissors thing is surely to cut the fabric before you add the resin and such.

·
Registered
96 Posts
First off, the stuff is engineered to be strong, so whatever you do it's gonna be tough and it's gonna dull whatever you're using. I can almost guarantee normal scisors won't work. I would also advise the use of a high speed rotary tool with cutting wheel, as opposed to any sort of a blade. Personally, I wouldn't pay $250 for something that I'm just gonna chop apart anyway, especially if it's not an easy job. That's my 25 cents (the equivalent of two bits, haha).

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've worked quite a bit with both Kevlar and carbon and usually just used high speed air tools so I think that a Dremel would work fine. If you use a cutoff wheel use a fiber reinforced one. The Kevlar will improve the impact strength quite a bit over plain carbon so I would not sweat chipping too much. Just go slow with the tool taking little bites and ensure that you are actually cutting through the part and not just melting the epoxy. You'll know that you are not getting all the way thorugh if you have Kevlar fuzz forming along the cut. The carbon will usually just break off.

When you paint the part add a UV inhibitor base coat or primer. Kevlar will degrade with exposure to UV.

These mixed fabrics are awesome and the combo that you've got there is some high $ stuff!

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
spider_kyle said:
First off, the stuff is engineered to be strong, so whatever you do it's gonna be tough and it's gonna dull whatever you're using.
You'd be surprised... one sheet Carbon Fiber body panels are most assuringly NOT made for structural integrity. you can cut a sheet Kevlar with a pair of scissors no problem. same goes for CF. it's the Epoxy Resin that is the issue.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i had clicked on BuyItNow and paid right away w/ paypal 3 days ago...

Watching excitedly for FedEx...

Just got a email from the seller saying he is refunding my $ because of "an inventory" error...ie he don't have any more.... : (

So I am bidding on this other Ducati tail piece but its already to $350 w/ 3 days to go.. ouch

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
it does look good ;D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All right, the Ducati rear gets here Tue by UPS, can't wait to see what thats going to look like...
will post some pics as soon as i get it mounted.

So my scoot will be Suzuki in the front, Kawi in the middle and Ducati in the back....
sweet.....I like being the only one who drives what I drive...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Will it be a hybrid?

A mongrel?

It's like the ancient Greek/Middle East "monsters" that combined differnet parts of different anumals.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hybrid

It will be a kawasuzcati.....

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
How about.... front to back... SuKawTi? Pronounced Su-Cow-Ti 8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts