Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone remember overheating question well i eventually sorted flattening the cyl/head all back together now and going great except that i appear to have oil weeping from join between cyl head and barrels is this possible water is fine never uses any will i have to split cyl head and grind flat head and barrels again or will i be able to retorque cyl head yes i did torque head down to 40 foot pounds the first time
many thanks
ferret

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Are you sure, it's not comming from the Plug drain holes. There are no high pressure oil passages through the head joint ony drains. those usually get sealed by the paint on the gasket. You did re paint the gasket , right?

FOG

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I'm having a hard time imagining how this could happen. Unless you damaged the head surface when you "Flattened" it. Exactly how did you go about that? Lapping on a solid flat surface is the only way to do it right. If you used sandpaper or anything besides free media on a good surface, you may have ground away some metal needed to make a seal. Like I said, there in nothing but gravity pushing oil through the head joint. Did you check the High pressure lines in the back.

FOG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
done head on sheet of glass figure of 8 for ages shoulders were aching. have felt around the oil lines at the back of carbs no oil leaks oil is not pouring out just weeping a bit can put up with it till winter when i want to powder coat frame and tidy her up a bit no power loss was doing 120 mph @10,000 rpms so not too worried but i hate unsightly leaks
many thanks
ferret

1 - 5 of 5 Posts