Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a project, $700 and a whole slue of issues but that’s what I wanted. I have taken the engine apart and it’s a slow rebuild, just recently I have opened the bottom end to clean the oil pan and attach the piston. But a secret goblin was hiding, left piston had some ware scares that a flat head running along it could feel. The mechanic that polished my rocker arms that also had some minor scaring (nothing you could feel) said there’s an issue with lack of oil especially with this being in such a weird place, considering my cams were in much better shape if there was oil problems. I think the jet got clogged because the right connecting rod had no ware and the pin had normal ware for a 40k bike. The owners did not take care of this bike and the mucky oil pan, oil itself and streaks of rust in the cylinder reflected that. I want to know if this bike has a history of bad oil movement, I got another part bike that dropped a valve that I plan to use since the top end of the current one is already rebuilt and the same mechanic when asked about what makes a valve drop he said “lack of oil” which is what leads me to believe it’s design, considering this guy was much more caring to the valve dropped 97’

tldr: does bike have oil movement issues, my bike has intense rod scares on left rod only and what can I do to stop it from happening, lighter oil?Better filter and frequent changes?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
just a guess. I would say most of that is not lack of oil but shitty not been changed (filter full of crap) worn out oil.
absence of burn marks tells a lot just bad scoring.

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
pure and simple not enough ,too old worn out ,wrong viscosity oil. or in my opinion @ 40 K miles it has already lived two lifetimes.
you now have a full rebuild .New rings & bearings, maybe a crank as well. open all the bearings for a look

FOG

·
Registered
32 Posts
...or in my opinion @ 40 K miles it has already lived two lifetimes...

FOG
Are these things that delicate? They have a reputation for being reliable, sturdy bikes that punch above their class. Hearing this is kind of surprising.

·
Super Moderator
6,552 Posts
^ Fog pushes them to the limit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
^ Fog pushes them to the limit.
I wondered if it might be a "track vs. street" thing. I used to follow along with Lemons racing and all the "reliable" engines (Honda and Toyota 4 cylinders, Chevy small blocks, etc.) would reliably grenade after heavy track use. While known boat anchors like Fiats would happily thrash around for multiple races.

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
Just one man's opinion. There are those here that will testify to much longer life.
my statement is from many rebuilds for racing and running three race bikes, as said "to the limit".
Fact is they do preform above their weight class, but it comes at a price.
K moded this engine to within a inch of it's life. the biggest fault is the center cam drive ,that cuts the engine virtually &actually in half making it a twisty felexi flyer.. with a too long crank

FOG

Reactions: Wrencher86
1 - 7 of 7 Posts